[vim-multibyte] Re: aliases for encoding names

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2001
      Takuhiro Nishioka wrote:

      > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > In the new Vim 6.0v I have added a list of aliases for encoding names.
      > > Some of these have been guessed, several are probably missing. Please check
      > > this list. It is in the file multibyte.c, search for "encoding names".
      >
      > For Japanese, there are "eucjp" and "shift-jis". I think
      > it is more reasonable to use the precise charset name:
      > "euc-jp" and "shift_jis" or to add those name as alias.

      OK. I'm currently using "cp932" for MS-Windows, which is very close to
      shift-jis. For Unix euc-jp, aliases "unix-jis" and "ujis". I guess the
      MS-Windows "cp932" or "shift-jis" will also work.

      > > One specific item is for Chinese (not for Taiwan).
      > > Currently these names are used:
      > >
      > > for Windows: "cp936", with aliases "prc" and "chinese".
      > > For Unix: "chinese", with aliases "prc" and 'cp936".
      > >
      > > Are "chinese" and "cp936" really the same?
      > >
      > > Is "chinese" on Unix the best name, it looks quite generic to me. It could
      > > easily be confused with traditional chinese, as use in Taiwan. Is there a
      > > better name?
      >
      > I don't know what "cp936" is. Where can I found the definition?

      This is the MS-Windows codepage used for chinese.

      > I don't know well but I thought that "gb2312" is equal to
      > "euc-cn". And those are common in PRC.

      OK, I'll use "euc-cn" instead of chinese, since that is more specific. Then
      "chinese", "prc" and "euccn" can be aliases for "euc-cn".

      The remaining question is whether "euc-cn" and "cp949" are similar enough to
      make them an alias. And when not, if "cp949" can be used on Unix anyway.

      --
      ARTHUR: You fight with the strength of many men, Sir knight.
      I am Arthur, King of the Britons. [pause]

    • Takuhiro Nishioka
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2001
        Hello,

        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > The remaining question is whether "euc-cn" and "cp949" are similar enough to
        > make them an alias. And when not, if "cp949" can be used on Unix anyway.

        I think you mean "cp936" here. I don't know. If the file
        created on Chinese MS-Windows is totally displayed corrupt
        on UNIX environment, it will be totally different. Is
        there anyone who use Chinese on Vim?

        --
        Takuhiro Nishioka mailto:takuhiro@...
      • Takuhiro Nishioka
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2001
          Hello,

          > I think you mean "cp936" here. I don't know. If the file
          > created on Chinese MS-Windows is totally displayed corrupt
          > on UNIX environment, it will be totally different. Is
          > there anyone who use Chinese on Vim?

          I can test this if someone could send me some chinese text
          created on MS-Windows. If someone kindly send me text,
          please be careful charset is not converted by mail
          program. Just attache compressed file by zip, gzip, bzip2
          or such kind of compress utility.

          --
          Takuhiro Nishioka mailto:takuhiro@...