aliases for encoding names

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2001
      In the new Vim 6.0v I have added a list of aliases for encoding names.
      Some of these have been guessed, several are probably missing. Please check
      this list. It is in the file multibyte.c, search for "encoding names".

      One specific item is for Chinese (not for Taiwan).
      Currently these names are used:

      for Windows: "cp936", with aliases "prc" and "chinese".
      For Unix: "chinese", with aliases "prc" and 'cp936".

      Are "chinese" and "cp936" really the same?

      Is "chinese" on Unix the best name, it looks quite generic to me. It could
      easily be confused with traditional chinese, as use in Taiwan. Is there a
      better name?

      --
      GUARD #1: Where'd you get the coconut?
      ARTHUR: We found them.

    • Takuhiro Nishioka
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2001
        Hello,

        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > In the new Vim 6.0v I have added a list of aliases for encoding names.
        > Some of these have been guessed, several are probably missing. Please check
        > this list. It is in the file multibyte.c, search for "encoding names".

        For Japanese, there are "eucjp" and "shift-jis". I think
        it is more reasonable to use the precise charset name:
        "euc-jp" and "shift_jis" or to add those name as alias.

        > One specific item is for Chinese (not for Taiwan).
        > Currently these names are used:
        >
        > for Windows: "cp936", with aliases "prc" and "chinese".
        > For Unix: "chinese", with aliases "prc" and 'cp936".
        >
        > Are "chinese" and "cp936" really the same?
        >
        > Is "chinese" on Unix the best name, it looks quite generic to me. It could
        > easily be confused with traditional chinese, as use in Taiwan. Is there a
        > better name?

        I don't know what "cp936" is. Where can I found the
        definition?

        I don't know well but I thought that "gb2312" is equal to
        "euc-cn". And those are common in PRC.

        --
        Takuhiro Nishioka mailto:takuhiro@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2001
          Takuhiro Nishioka wrote:

          > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > In the new Vim 6.0v I have added a list of aliases for encoding names.
          > > Some of these have been guessed, several are probably missing. Please check
          > > this list. It is in the file multibyte.c, search for "encoding names".
          >
          > For Japanese, there are "eucjp" and "shift-jis". I think
          > it is more reasonable to use the precise charset name:
          > "euc-jp" and "shift_jis" or to add those name as alias.

          OK. I'm currently using "cp932" for MS-Windows, which is very close to
          shift-jis. For Unix euc-jp, aliases "unix-jis" and "ujis". I guess the
          MS-Windows "cp932" or "shift-jis" will also work.

          > > One specific item is for Chinese (not for Taiwan).
          > > Currently these names are used:
          > >
          > > for Windows: "cp936", with aliases "prc" and "chinese".
          > > For Unix: "chinese", with aliases "prc" and 'cp936".
          > >
          > > Are "chinese" and "cp936" really the same?
          > >
          > > Is "chinese" on Unix the best name, it looks quite generic to me. It could
          > > easily be confused with traditional chinese, as use in Taiwan. Is there a
          > > better name?
          >
          > I don't know what "cp936" is. Where can I found the definition?

          This is the MS-Windows codepage used for chinese.

          > I don't know well but I thought that "gb2312" is equal to
          > "euc-cn". And those are common in PRC.

          OK, I'll use "euc-cn" instead of chinese, since that is more specific. Then
          "chinese", "prc" and "euccn" can be aliases for "euc-cn".

          The remaining question is whether "euc-cn" and "cp949" are similar enough to
          make them an alias. And when not, if "cp949" can be used on Unix anyway.

          --
          ARTHUR: You fight with the strength of many men, Sir knight.
          I am Arthur, King of the Britons. [pause]

        • Takuhiro Nishioka
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2001
            Hello,

            Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > The remaining question is whether "euc-cn" and "cp949" are similar enough to
            > make them an alias. And when not, if "cp949" can be used on Unix anyway.

            I think you mean "cp936" here. I don't know. If the file
            created on Chinese MS-Windows is totally displayed corrupt
            on UNIX environment, it will be totally different. Is
            there anyone who use Chinese on Vim?

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 15, 2001
              Hello,

              > I think you mean "cp936" here. I don't know. If the file
              > created on Chinese MS-Windows is totally displayed corrupt
              > on UNIX environment, it will be totally different. Is
              > there anyone who use Chinese on Vim?

              I can test this if someone could send me some chinese text
              created on MS-Windows. If someone kindly send me text,
              please be careful charset is not converted by mail
              program. Just attache compressed file by zip, gzip, bzip2
              or such kind of compress utility.

              --
              Takuhiro Nishioka mailto:takuhiro@...