Re: vim-6.0t: patch for Cygwin of Japanese Windows

  • Yasushi Higuchi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
      On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:40:57 +0100
      Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

      >I wonder if there are more places where "#ifdef WIN32" is used should also
      >check for __CYGWIN__. Would there be a general rule?

      I don't know whether there is a general way of solving it.
      But, it has the memory of doing the check of Cygwin/Mingw32 in configure
      of bash-2.04.
      It may become a hint.

      >Perhaps it's better to use some other define for code that's used both for
      >Unix and WIN32 with the Unix Makefile. WIN32UNIX?

      Though my thought was silly, we seem to have a problem to think about still
      in relation to this.

      Many Japanese Unix users are using 'LANG=ja_JP.eucJP'.
      When those users do telnet to Cygwin, vim fixed on shift-jis is inconvenient.
      It thinks that the structure which the movement of vim changes how to
      indicate it to dynamically is necessary in accordance with LANG.

      Therefore, it may be dangerous that merge does my patch right now.
      I don't hit upon the good idea to solve this right now.
      Won't you ignore the patch until the better way of solving it is found?

      --
      Yasushi HIGUCHI (yzone@...)
    • Yasushi Higuchi
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
        On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:26:46 +0100
        Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

        >I now noticed that the code already contains checks for __CYGWIN32__. What
        >is the difference between __CYGWIN__ and __CYGWIN32__?

        '__CYGWIN32__' is obsolete.
        It will be removed by the thing left for the interchangeability in the future.
        '__CYGWIN__' is recommended with present Cygwin.

        --
        Yasushi HIGUCHI (yzone@...)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
          Yasushi Higuchi wrote:

          > Though my thought was silly, we seem to have a problem to think about still
          > in relation to this.
          >
          > Many Japanese Unix users are using 'LANG=ja_JP.eucJP'.
          > When those users do telnet to Cygwin, vim fixed on shift-jis is inconvenient.
          > It thinks that the structure which the movement of vim changes how to
          > indicate it to dynamically is necessary in accordance with LANG.
          >
          > Therefore, it may be dangerous that merge does my patch right now.
          > I don't hit upon the good idea to solve this right now.
          > Won't you ignore the patch until the better way of solving it is found?

          The idea is that 'charcode' is set to the encoding of the terminal you are
          using. There is no translation or conversion when sending the text to the
          display. The encoding of what the user types would be the same too.

          If you do a telnet, you use the terminal you started it in, right? That would
          mean the use of "cp932" or "euc_jp" depends on which terminal is being used and
          shouldn't be compile time choice but a runtime one.

          I can change this, but it will be work. I first need to know if this is
          really the right solution.

          By the way, don't the "euc-kr" and "euc-tw" have similar problems?

          11. You find yourself typing "com" after every period when using a word
          processor.com