Re: vim-6.0t: patch for Cygwin of Japanese Windows

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2001
      Yasushi Higuchi wrote:

      > On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:16:01 +0100
      > Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      >
      > >I assume you have used the Unix Makefile instead of Make_cyg.mak. Otherwise
      > >WIN32 would have been defined. Is there a specific reason to use the Unix
      > >Makefile? Did you try using Make_cyg.mak?
      >
      > vim.exe made by Make_cyg.mak is pure Win32 application.
      > In other words, the virtual tty of Cygwin isn't used to use
      > Console API directly.
      >
      > When inetd for Cygwin is used, login is done with telnet, and it
      > can't be used.
      > But, vim.exe that it was formed with Unix Makefile can be used.
      >
      > sample screenshot:
      > http://www2.raidway.ne.jp/%7Eyzone/bin/vim60t-cygwin-telnet.jpg

      OK, so you used the Unix Makefile on purpose.

      I wonder if there are more places where "#ifdef WIN32" is used should also
      check for __CYGWIN__. Would there be a general rule?

      Perhaps it's better to use some other define for code that's used both for
      Unix and WIN32 with the Unix Makefile. WIN32UNIX?

      --
      Never enter the boss's office unless it's absolutely necessary. Every boss
      saves one corner of the desk for useless assignments that are doled out like

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
        Yasushi Higuchi wrote:

        > It becomes the following when vim-6.0t is made to work on Cygwin of
        > Japanese edition Windows.
        [...]

        > -#ifdef WIN32
        > +#if defined(WIN32) || defined(__CYGWIN__)

        I now noticed that the code already contains checks for __CYGWIN32__. What
        is the difference between __CYGWIN__ and __CYGWIN32__?

        5. You find yourself brainstorming for new subjects to search.

      • Yasushi Higuchi
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
          On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:40:57 +0100
          Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

          >I wonder if there are more places where "#ifdef WIN32" is used should also
          >check for __CYGWIN__. Would there be a general rule?

          I don't know whether there is a general way of solving it.
          But, it has the memory of doing the check of Cygwin/Mingw32 in configure
          of bash-2.04.
          It may become a hint.

          >Perhaps it's better to use some other define for code that's used both for
          >Unix and WIN32 with the Unix Makefile. WIN32UNIX?

          Though my thought was silly, we seem to have a problem to think about still
          in relation to this.

          Many Japanese Unix users are using 'LANG=ja_JP.eucJP'.
          When those users do telnet to Cygwin, vim fixed on shift-jis is inconvenient.
          It thinks that the structure which the movement of vim changes how to
          indicate it to dynamically is necessary in accordance with LANG.

          Therefore, it may be dangerous that merge does my patch right now.
          I don't hit upon the good idea to solve this right now.
          Won't you ignore the patch until the better way of solving it is found?

          --
          Yasushi HIGUCHI (yzone@...)
        • Yasushi Higuchi
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
            On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:26:46 +0100
            Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

            >I now noticed that the code already contains checks for __CYGWIN32__. What
            >is the difference between __CYGWIN__ and __CYGWIN32__?

            '__CYGWIN32__' is obsolete.
            It will be removed by the thing left for the interchangeability in the future.
            '__CYGWIN__' is recommended with present Cygwin.

            --
            Yasushi HIGUCHI (yzone@...)
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
              Yasushi Higuchi wrote:

              > Though my thought was silly, we seem to have a problem to think about still
              > in relation to this.
              >
              > Many Japanese Unix users are using 'LANG=ja_JP.eucJP'.
              > When those users do telnet to Cygwin, vim fixed on shift-jis is inconvenient.
              > It thinks that the structure which the movement of vim changes how to
              > indicate it to dynamically is necessary in accordance with LANG.
              >
              > Therefore, it may be dangerous that merge does my patch right now.
              > I don't hit upon the good idea to solve this right now.
              > Won't you ignore the patch until the better way of solving it is found?

              The idea is that 'charcode' is set to the encoding of the terminal you are
              using. There is no translation or conversion when sending the text to the
              display. The encoding of what the user types would be the same too.

              If you do a telnet, you use the terminal you started it in, right? That would
              mean the use of "cp932" or "euc_jp" depends on which terminal is being used and
              shouldn't be compile time choice but a runtime one.

              I can change this, but it will be work. I first need to know if this is
              really the right solution.

              By the way, don't the "euc-kr" and "euc-tw" have similar problems?

              11. You find yourself typing "com" after every period when using a word
              processor.com