Re: vim-6.0t: patch for Cygwin of Japanese Windows

  • Yasushi Higuchi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2001
      On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:16:01 +0100
      Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

      >I assume you have used the Unix Makefile instead of Make_cyg.mak. Otherwise
      >WIN32 would have been defined. Is there a specific reason to use the Unix
      >Makefile? Did you try using Make_cyg.mak?

      vim.exe made by Make_cyg.mak is pure Win32 application.
      In other words, the virtual tty of Cygwin isn't used to use
      Console API directly.

      When inetd for Cygwin is used, login is done with telnet, and it
      can't be used.
      But, vim.exe that it was formed with Unix Makefile can be used.

      sample screenshot:
      http://www2.raidway.ne.jp/%7Eyzone/bin/vim60t-cygwin-telnet.jpg

      --
      Yasushi HIGUCHI (yzone@...)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 23, 2001
        Yasushi Higuchi wrote:

        > On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:16:01 +0100
        > Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
        >
        > >I assume you have used the Unix Makefile instead of Make_cyg.mak. Otherwise
        > >WIN32 would have been defined. Is there a specific reason to use the Unix
        > >Makefile? Did you try using Make_cyg.mak?
        >
        > vim.exe made by Make_cyg.mak is pure Win32 application.
        > In other words, the virtual tty of Cygwin isn't used to use
        > Console API directly.
        >
        > When inetd for Cygwin is used, login is done with telnet, and it
        > can't be used.
        > But, vim.exe that it was formed with Unix Makefile can be used.
        >
        > sample screenshot:
        > http://www2.raidway.ne.jp/%7Eyzone/bin/vim60t-cygwin-telnet.jpg

        OK, so you used the Unix Makefile on purpose.

        I wonder if there are more places where "#ifdef WIN32" is used should also
        check for __CYGWIN__. Would there be a general rule?

        Perhaps it's better to use some other define for code that's used both for
        Unix and WIN32 with the Unix Makefile. WIN32UNIX?

        --
        Never enter the boss's office unless it's absolutely necessary. Every boss
        saves one corner of the desk for useless assignments that are doled out like

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
          Yasushi Higuchi wrote:

          > It becomes the following when vim-6.0t is made to work on Cygwin of
          > Japanese edition Windows.
          [...]

          > -#ifdef WIN32
          > +#if defined(WIN32) || defined(__CYGWIN__)

          I now noticed that the code already contains checks for __CYGWIN32__. What
          is the difference between __CYGWIN__ and __CYGWIN32__?

          5. You find yourself brainstorming for new subjects to search.

        • Yasushi Higuchi
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
            On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:40:57 +0100
            Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

            >I wonder if there are more places where "#ifdef WIN32" is used should also
            >check for __CYGWIN__. Would there be a general rule?

            I don't know whether there is a general way of solving it.
            But, it has the memory of doing the check of Cygwin/Mingw32 in configure
            of bash-2.04.
            It may become a hint.

            >Perhaps it's better to use some other define for code that's used both for
            >Unix and WIN32 with the Unix Makefile. WIN32UNIX?

            Though my thought was silly, we seem to have a problem to think about still
            in relation to this.

            Many Japanese Unix users are using 'LANG=ja_JP.eucJP'.
            When those users do telnet to Cygwin, vim fixed on shift-jis is inconvenient.
            It thinks that the structure which the movement of vim changes how to
            indicate it to dynamically is necessary in accordance with LANG.

            Therefore, it may be dangerous that merge does my patch right now.
            I don't hit upon the good idea to solve this right now.
            Won't you ignore the patch until the better way of solving it is found?

            --
            Yasushi HIGUCHI (yzone@...)
          • Yasushi Higuchi
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
              On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:26:46 +0100
              Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

              >I now noticed that the code already contains checks for __CYGWIN32__. What
              >is the difference between __CYGWIN__ and __CYGWIN32__?

              '__CYGWIN32__' is obsolete.
              It will be removed by the thing left for the interchangeability in the future.
              '__CYGWIN__' is recommended with present Cygwin.

              --
              Yasushi HIGUCHI (yzone@...)
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 24, 2001
                Yasushi Higuchi wrote:

                > Though my thought was silly, we seem to have a problem to think about still
                > in relation to this.
                >
                > Many Japanese Unix users are using 'LANG=ja_JP.eucJP'.
                > When those users do telnet to Cygwin, vim fixed on shift-jis is inconvenient.
                > It thinks that the structure which the movement of vim changes how to
                > indicate it to dynamically is necessary in accordance with LANG.
                >
                > Therefore, it may be dangerous that merge does my patch right now.
                > I don't hit upon the good idea to solve this right now.
                > Won't you ignore the patch until the better way of solving it is found?

                The idea is that 'charcode' is set to the encoding of the terminal you are
                using. There is no translation or conversion when sending the text to the
                display. The encoding of what the user types would be the same too.

                If you do a telnet, you use the terminal you started it in, right? That would
                mean the use of "cp932" or "euc_jp" depends on which terminal is being used and
                shouldn't be compile time choice but a runtime one.

                I can change this, but it will be work. I first need to know if this is
                really the right solution.

                By the way, don't the "euc-kr" and "euc-tw" have similar problems?

                11. You find yourself typing "com" after every period when using a word
                processor.com