hi (filecharcode UTF-8 question)

  • Martin Norbäck
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2000
      Hi!
      I am new to this list. I just discovered the fabulous filecharcode
      feature of vim 6.

      I would love to bugtest, and patch vim, especially the UTF-8 features.

      I have question as well :)

      I am into translating .po-files, and some of them are in iso-8859-1
      format and others are in UTF-8 format.

      To know which format they are in, you have to look through them, but
      setting the filecharcode option only affects reading and writing, and by
      the time I know the charcode, the file has already been read.

      Is there a smooth way to fix this (apart from rereading the file?)

      Setting filecharcodes=utf-8,latin-1 works partly, but I want to use
      utf-8 even if the .po-file is not correct UTF-8, if the charset header
      of the file says it is UTF-8.

      n.

      --
      [ http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d95mback/ ] [ PGP: 0x453504F1 ] [ UIN: 4439498 ]
      Opinions expressed above are mine, and not those of my future employees.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 28, 2000
        Margin Norb�ck wrote:

        > I am new to this list. I just discovered the fabulous filecharcode
        > feature of vim 6.
        >
        > I would love to bugtest, and patch vim, especially the UTF-8 features.

        That is very welcome. I have implemented most of this, but I don't use it
        myself (other than a few simple tests). I'm currently working on recognizing
        the BOM (mostly for MS-Windows, which uses it for little-endian UCS-2 files).

        > I have question as well :)
        >
        > I am into translating .po-files, and some of them are in iso-8859-1
        > format and others are in UTF-8 format.
        >
        > To know which format they are in, you have to look through them, but
        > setting the filecharcode option only affects reading and writing, and by
        > the time I know the charcode, the file has already been read.
        >
        > Is there a smooth way to fix this (apart from rereading the file?)
        >
        > Setting filecharcodes=utf-8,latin-1 works partly, but I want to use
        > utf-8 even if the .po-file is not correct UTF-8, if the charset header
        > of the file says it is UTF-8.

        Hmm, the automatic detection is based on the idea that if it's not correct
        UTF-8 then it's Latin-1.

        You need some way to tell Vim which 'filecharcode' to use for this file.
        Since you want to get this information from the file itself you have a
        chicken-egg problem: You need to read the file to see how to read the file.

        I think you can only solve this by forcing the file to be read with
        'filecharcode' empty, thus reading it as UTF-8, and then use a BufReadPost
        autocommand to read the file again in latin-1 if it's needed (e.g., when you
        match a pattern in the first ten lines). Something like this (untested!):

        :set filecharcodes=
        :au BufReadPost *.po if getline(1) =~ "ISO_8859-1" |
        \ edit ++cc=latin-1 | endif

        --
        LAUNCELOT: At last! A call! A cry of distress ...
        (he draws his sword, and turns to CONCORDE)