Re: Hebrew input

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2000
      =?Iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Thunus <thunus@...> writes:

      >I have recompiled vim 6.0e with both multibyte and hebrew support (this
      >should be default imo, by the way). when I launch vi -H Hebrew.utf8, I
      >get my test file displayed correctly (good fonts) and from right to
      >left. when I input, it does work from r2l as well. However, the chars
      >are not in Hebrew. I guess this is because it is not encoded in utf8.

      Francois, look at 'rightleft.txt', it will help you get where you want to go.

      Essentially, you can edit iso-8859-8 text but not UTF-8 because vim doesn't
      know how to enter the correct codes in UTF-8. This shouldn't be a big
      problem, as you can convert -8 to utf-8 with e.g. 'recode':

      recode hebrew..utf-8 myfile.txt

      Otherwise, you can manually remap the keyboard:

      imap a ^V128 (or whatever...)

      I have a mapping:

      map <F6> :set rl! hkmap!<cr>

      which toggles between English and Hebrew modes. You also want 'allowrevins'
      turned on, and you need the font to display 8859-8, and you can then edit
      iso-8859-8 (or Windows CP1255) text easily (and convert to utf-8 if you need
      to, later).

      I'll add the keymapping support, but it will not make it into the next
      release, sorry!

      >I have looked at the hkmap to modify it and make it remap to utf8
      >instead, but I must confess I did not exactly understand how to do that
      >from the edit.c file. I am willing to code the greek, hebrew and arabic
      >maps, but maybe i'd better wait until the new map support is implemented
      >as an external file.

      There is no need to do that, as the new support will supercede the hkmap
      stuff. It will hook into the same part of the code, though.

      >Just let me know what to do when the new release with external file
      >I'll be coding the other messages in French as well (just it will take
      >longer since the file is 20 bigger).

      Let's see how I implement it, then you can write all the menus you like!

      Best regards,

      Ron