Hebrew input

  • Fran├žois Thunus
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2000
      Ron Aaron wrote:

      > OK, then I'll add an option 'keymap' which is a generic version of 'hkmap'
      > et.al. You would then do something like:
      > set keymap=greek
      > and the 'greek.map' would be loaded as an alternative to English. I would
      > probably keep up to three keymaps loaded just to make things faster if memory
      > were available. Pressing the hotkey would toggle between greek and english
      > keymaps. Settting it to empty would unload all alternate keymaps.

      I have recompiled vim 6.0e with both multibyte and hebrew support (this
      should be default imo, by the way). when I launch vi -H Hebrew.utf8, I
      get my test file displayed correctly (good fonts) and from right to
      left. when I input, it does work from r2l as well. However, the chars
      are not in Hebrew. I guess this is because it is not encoded in utf8.

      I have looked at the hkmap to modify it and make it remap to utf8
      instead, but I must confess I did not exactly understand how to do that
      from the edit.c file. I am willing to code the greek, hebrew and arabic
      maps, but maybe i'd better wait until the new map support is implemented
      as an external file.

      Just let me know what to do when the new release with external file
      I'll be coding the other messages in French as well (just it will take
      longer since the file is 20 bigger).

      Cheers

      Fran├žois
    • Ron Aaron
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2000
        =?Iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Thunus <thunus@...> writes:

        >I have recompiled vim 6.0e with both multibyte and hebrew support (this
        >should be default imo, by the way). when I launch vi -H Hebrew.utf8, I
        >get my test file displayed correctly (good fonts) and from right to
        >left. when I input, it does work from r2l as well. However, the chars
        >are not in Hebrew. I guess this is because it is not encoded in utf8.

        Francois, look at 'rightleft.txt', it will help you get where you want to go.

        Essentially, you can edit iso-8859-8 text but not UTF-8 because vim doesn't
        know how to enter the correct codes in UTF-8. This shouldn't be a big
        problem, as you can convert -8 to utf-8 with e.g. 'recode':

        recode hebrew..utf-8 myfile.txt

        Otherwise, you can manually remap the keyboard:

        imap a ^V128 (or whatever...)

        I have a mapping:

        map <F6> :set rl! hkmap!<cr>

        which toggles between English and Hebrew modes. You also want 'allowrevins'
        turned on, and you need the font to display 8859-8, and you can then edit
        iso-8859-8 (or Windows CP1255) text easily (and convert to utf-8 if you need
        to, later).

        I'll add the keymapping support, but it will not make it into the next
        release, sorry!

        >I have looked at the hkmap to modify it and make it remap to utf8
        >instead, but I must confess I did not exactly understand how to do that
        >from the edit.c file. I am willing to code the greek, hebrew and arabic
        >maps, but maybe i'd better wait until the new map support is implemented
        >as an external file.

        There is no need to do that, as the new support will supercede the hkmap
        stuff. It will hook into the same part of the code, though.

        >Just let me know what to do when the new release with external file
        >I'll be coding the other messages in French as well (just it will take
        >longer since the file is 20 bigger).

        Let's see how I implement it, then you can write all the menus you like!

        Best regards,

        Ron