Re: multibyte input

  • François Thunus
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2000
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > 2. Add a good way in Vim to enter special characters, which works on any
      > system. This makes it possible to enter the characters in the same way, no
      > matter where you are using Vim.

      This seems to be the way to go.

      > Right, the idea of 'langmap' is that your keyboard is producing characters in
      > your special language, thus in Insert mode nothing needs to be done. But in
      > command mode you need to type keys like "x", which requires translation of
      > your special language to ASCII.

      make sense

      > > This way, one might have a 'language' menu or command that would switch vim
      > > from English to e.g. Greek input mode. Similarly, we might define an entire
      > > set of 'languages' based on the standard keyboards for these.
      >
      > This sounds reasonable. The question is how to handle the situation where
      > there are more characters needed than you have keys on your keyboard. Perhaps
      I am not sure this does matter, in the sense that as long as the user
      can produce his own keymap, (s)he'll just put on it the characters (s)he
      uses most, and figure out some way to enter the rest.
      > digraphs need to be used then?
      for example, yes.

      > As I said, I was thinking of adding a whole list of standard digraphs (and mnemonics).
      I am not sure this is needed, but why not.

      > One problem is the handling of dead keys. Would we also want to support that?
      > It's important for languages with accented characters.
      you bet

      > > This 'alternate' keyboard would be switched with the 'standard', English
      > > keyboard via ^_ (or a user mapped key) just like it currently is for Hebrew.
      > > In this manner, one can switch quickly between English and an alternate
      > > language. The keyboard mapping should be able to be swtiched in on the
      > > command-line as well, so searching for arbitrary text is facilitated (like
      > > the current Hebrew support).
      >
      > Setting an option to the translation table to be used sounds reasonable.
      > Will this replace the existing 'hkmap' and 'fkmap' options?

      I am not sure how those two work, I need to examine this closer.

      > More comments?

      I am obviously more than ready to help if I can, now that my problem
      seems to be understood :-)

      Cheers

      François
    • François Thunus
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2000
        Ron Aaron wrote:

        > One question -- I can see where I might have an English document and a Hebrew
        > document. It would be nice I think if the keyboard were mapped on a
        > per-buffer basis. Thoughts?

        user-definable ? :-) set keymapperbuf=0 or set keymapperbuf=true

        Cheers

        François
      • François Thunus
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2000
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > > Now my question is: what is XIM ? how do I use it ? and alternately,
          > > where do I find the doc about it ? I tried man XIM, man xim, the XF86
          > > website, the X website and nowhere did I find a clue as to what I need to
          > > do.
          >
          > In Vim:
          >
          > :help xim
          I have done that. It does tell me that I can switch to an alternate
          kanji input method, but not where to find the doc to configure the one X
          is using to allow me to introduce greek char in the middle of an english
          text. similarly, man xim or XIM does not exist, and man X does not point
          to anything useful. Mind you, I am not bashing, just stating that the
          existing information does not allow me to do anything concrete. The
          moment I find out what to do, I'm more than willing to write a patch for
          the doc and send it to you.

          > > I need to be able to change language in the middle of a text.

          > Yes, I understand that. Until now Vim didn't include the translation from
          > ASCII (or whatever your keyboard produces) to special languages. I was hoping
          > that a system function could be used for this. See the message from/to Ron
          > Aaron about an alternative.

          Yes, Aaron's suggestion is exactly what I am looking for. Obviously, we
          have the same preoccupations :-)

          Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. While I may not be
          able to code much, I can certainly test and check/write docs

          Cheers

          François