Re: vim60b gtk gui OnTheSpot patch.

  • Takuhiro Nishioka
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2000
      Hi,

      Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
      > I just re-made the OnTheSpot patch against vim-6.0b.
      > It worked fine for me.
      > If you have any problem with the OnTheSpot patch, please test
      > with removing the 'GDK_IM_PREEDIT_CALLBACKS' in multibyte.c, line 1487(?).
      > Then gvim may run using OverTheSpot. Please reply your result.
      > I test it with gtk+-1.2.8.

      I tried this patch. The OnTheSpot feature is great, I
      think. But it doesn't work correctly on my Japanese
      environment. While connecting to XIM, pressing CTRL key
      makes gvim hangs often.

      My environments:
      OS: FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE
      X: XFree86 4.0.1
      GTK: gtk+-1.2.8
      IM: kinput2 version 3
      or
      VJE-Delta 3.0 Trial

      And I'd like to suggest a feature: Coloring preediting
      texts. So that we can easily distingish what we are
      writing from what we have written.

      I wish I could implement by myself, but it's beyond me...
    • Sung-Hyun Nam
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2000
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
        >
        > > So, Bram, vim should have a option
        > > (such as 'set xim_method=OverTheSpot,StatusArea')
        > > to include this patch though the above problem could be fixed.
        >
        > The option should probably be used to disable input methods that don't work.
        > Something like:
        > :set ximdisable=OverTheSpot
        >
        > Is this what we need?

        No, I need also status handle, see below two options.

        > I notice GTK takes the command line arguments (gui_gtk_x11.c):
        > "--xim-preedit",
        > "--xim-status",
        > Do these interfere somehow?

        Ah! I didn't notice vim support these options.
        User can use those options to select best method. But he always
        add that option (though he can use alias).
        Hmm, currently OnTheSpot patch only has a problem for some people
        and because gtk gui only support OnTheSpot, we can let user use those
        command line options if he has a problem with OnTheSpot.

        > > > And I'd like to suggest a feature: Coloring preediting
        > > > texts. So that we can easily distingish what we are
        > > > writing from what we have written.
        > >
        > > I hope also, but how can it be done in vim.
        > > I think when we do 'add_to_input_buf()', we also should do
        > > 'these_char_has_underline_or_color_attribute()'
        > > in preedit_draw_cbproc(). Can we do?
        >
        > I'll leave this to someone who understans how XIM works...

        I believe we need someone who understands how VIM works.
        XIM side is simple. Get a character from IM program and add those
        characters to input buf. At that time, I also need give a attribute to
        those characters (Mozilla has underline attr and I personally prefer
        underline).

        namsh