Re: Patch 5.6.037 causes a side effect

  • Sung-Hyun Nam
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2000
      Takuhiro Nishioka wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Patch 5.6.037
      > Problem: Multi-byte: Can't use "f" command with multi-byte character in GUI.
      > Solution: Enable XIM in Normal mode for the GUI. (Sung-Hyun Nam)
      > Files: src/gui_gtk_x11.c, src/multbyte.c
      >
      > This causes a side effect. With this patch, we can input

      Hello,
      I don't understand 'a side effect'. You cannot input multibyte
      character with 'f' without the patch.
      And if you didnot input multibyte char with 'f', what is different?

      With Over-The-Spot, focus and unfocus is not important with my IM
      server. It didn't do anything when I input english character.
      But your IM server has different behavior?

      Imagine you run 'vim' on the rxvt-with-overthespot.
      There's no different with gvim+above-patch.

      > multibyte character after "f" like commands in GUI. But
      > it disables XIM control in GUI.
      >
      > XIM control:
      > Pressing Esc key in insert-mode, it automatically
      > unfocus on XIM. We were able to execute normal
      > command without turning off XIM by hands.
      >
      > Turning into insert-mode from normal-mode, it
      > automatically focus on XIM. So, we didn't need to
      > turn on XIM by hands.

      With the patch, gvim always connect to XIM. But your case,
      unfocus is important?

      > IMHO, I don't think that it is so useful that we can input
      > multibyte character after "f" like commands.

      I also think it is not so useful. But my main idea was
      gvim works same with rxvt+vim. And if user do not use this feature,
      there's no difference if user use over-the-spot.

      > Because we need to turn on XIM after "f" by hands, then off after the
      > command.

      you said it is side-effect? I don't think it is side-effect by
      patch. But can say the feature of the patch lacks? ...

      > I think that implementation like the following would be
      > more useful:
      >
      > When hitting "fa" stops at the character "a" or the user
      > some defined multibyte character "..". And we could
      > define the ascii-multibytechar table, like:
      > "a" the multibyte character "1"
      > "b" the multibyte character "2"
      > "c" the multibyte character "3"
      >
      > This could be implemented by Vim scripts, possibly easier
      > when "getchar()" function is implemented.

      PS) Because I used on-the-spot method (from a month ago or so),
      I may not understand your problem. If your IM server
      supports On-The-Spot and if you use gtk+ gui, I can send this
      unofficial patch to you.
      (This patch made by Chi-Deok Hwang, and he didn't send
      it to mailing list yet).

      namsh
    • Takuhiro Nishioka
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 25, 2000
        Hello!

        Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
        > Imagine you run 'vim' on the rxvt-with-overthespot.
        > There's no different with gvim+above-patch.

        Yes, I'm usually using rxvt-with-overthespot. But in this
        case, I'm talking about Gtk GUI version Vim, sorry for
        didn't mention about it.

        > You cannot input multibyte character with 'f' without
        > the patch.

        Yes.

        >> Because we need to turn on XIM after "f" by hands, then off after the
        >> command.
        >
        > you said it is side-effect?

        No.

        > I don't understand 'a side effect'.
        [...]
        > And if you didnot input multibyte char with 'f', what is
        > different?

        The side effect means that, thanks to this patch, we can
        input a multibyte character after "f" like commands, but
        this patch disables XIM control on GVim.

        The side effect is that it disables XIM control on GVim
        (possibly with Japanese XIM only?).

        > With Over-The-Spot, focus and unfocus is not important with my IM
        > server. It didn't do anything when I input english character.
        > But your IM server has different behavior?
        [...]
        > With the patch, gvim always connect to XIM. But your case,
        > unfocus is important?

        Yes, it is important for Japanese XIM. Because when
        inputting English characters, it should not focus on XIM.
        We need some extra procedure to input English characters
        when XIM is focused. Focusing off XIM, we can input
        English characters directly.

        Normally, to input English characters, first we turn off
        XIM, then input English characters. This is true for
        executing normal commands. Thanks to focus-unfocus
        system, we don't need to do this by hands (yes, we don't
        have focus-unfocus system on terminal emulators). But
        this patch disables the focus-unfocus system on GVim.

        > PS) Because I used on-the-spot method (from a month ago or so),
        > I may not understand your problem. If your IM server
        > supports On-The-Spot and if you use gtk+ gui, I can send this
        > unofficial patch to you.
        > (This patch made by Chi-Deok Hwang, and he didn't send
        > it to mailing list yet).

        Wow, that will be great! Please send me it. And if
        possible, please send the patch to this mailing list so
        that other can test.

        --
        Takuhiro Nishioka mailto:takuhiro@...
      • Sung-Hyun Nam
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 25, 2000
          Takuhiro Nishioka wrote:

          > Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
          >
          > [...]
          >
          > > With Over-The-Spot, focus and unfocus is not important with my IM
          > > server. It didn't do anything when I input english character.
          > > But your IM server has different behavior?
          > [...]
          > > With the patch, gvim always connect to XIM. But your case,
          > > unfocus is important?
          >
          > Yes, it is important for Japanese XIM. Because when
          > inputting English characters, it should not focus on XIM.
          > We need some extra procedure to input English characters
          > when XIM is focused. Focusing off XIM, we can input
          > English characters directly.
          >
          > Normally, to input English characters, first we turn off
          > XIM, then input English characters. This is true for
          > executing normal commands. Thanks to focus-unfocus
          > system, we don't need to do this by hands (yes, we don't
          > have focus-unfocus system on terminal emulators). But
          > this patch disables the focus-unfocus system on GVim.

          Ah! I couldn't imagine this situation. We normally use
          language toggle hotkey (my case shift+space). Though the
          IM server has focus, if current language mode is english,
          IM server don't do anything. It just bypass all the keys
          to gvim because it knows user inputs english character.

          So, you want that patch removed...
          Bram, I don't care. Yes, it is not so usable yet.

          > > PS) Because I used on-the-spot method (from a month ago or so),
          > > I may not understand your problem. If your IM server
          > > supports On-The-Spot and if you use gtk+ gui, I can send this
          > > unofficial patch to you.
          > > (This patch made by Chi-Deok Hwang, and he didn't send
          > > it to mailing list yet).
          >
          > Wow, that will be great! Please send me it. And if
          > possible, please send the patch to this mailing list so
          > that other can test.

          I hope Hwang send it to list, because I don't know well about it.
          I cannot explain anything if someone want to comment about it...
          Anyway I will send it to you.

          namsh
        • Takuhiro Nishioka
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 26, 2000
            Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
            > So, you want that patch removed...

            Yes. Or, if possible, I would like to have some other
            solution for "f" like commands with multibyte.

            > I hope Hwang send it to list, because I don't know well about it.
            > I cannot explain anything if someone want to comment about it...
            > Anyway I will send it to you.

            Thanks!

            I've tested with Gtk GUI version Vim 5.7. This is great.
            But here is one problem.

            When connecting to XIM, pressing CTRL key makes GVim
            hangs.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 26, 2000
              Takuhiro Nishioka wrote:
              > Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
              > > So, you want that patch removed...
              >
              > Yes. Or, if possible, I would like to have some other
              > solution for "f" like commands with multibyte.

              If possible, your IM server should act like mine.
              Then you can also live with rxvt+vim.

              Anyway with a problem below, this is not related to Korean, I believe.
              I don't understand your situation. I hope Japanese fix these
              problem.

              > > I hope Hwang send it to list, because I don't know well about it.
              > > I cannot explain anything if someone want to comment about it...
              > > Anyway I will send it to you.
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > I've tested with Gtk GUI version Vim 5.7. This is great.
              > But here is one problem.
              >
              > When connecting to XIM, pressing CTRL key makes GVim
              > hangs.

              I have no problem with CTRL key. I always use c-f c-b ... in normal
              mode and c-i ... in insert mode.
              It may be related to your IM server or is there special ctrl+? key
              to make gvim hangs?

              regards,

              namsh
            • Takuhiro Nishioka
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 26, 2000
                Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
                > I have no problem with CTRL key. I always use c-f c-b ... in normal
                > mode and c-i ... in insert mode.
                > It may be related to your IM server or is there special ctrl+? key
                > to make gvim hangs?

                I'm sorry for didn't mention that, this problem happenes
                with OnTheSpot patch. I'm using FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE,
                XFree86 4.0. My XIM is kinput2 version 3 with Canna
                Kana-Kanji conversion server.

                Thanks to this patch, we can use OnTheSpot. Setting
                input-stype to OnTheSpot. For anyone that doesn't know
                OnTheSpot, I'll explain it.

                Here is a line, where ".." and ",," is multibyte
                characters.

                ~~<- cursor is here

                Using OnTheSpot input-style, preediting text "-------" is
                dynamically displayed.