Re: unicode

  • Zura Kutchava
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 8, 2012
      thanks everybody for comprehensive answers

      i find very simply solution

      when i install gvim 7.3.386 then i can type Georgian(from 10d0 to 10f0) in input mode without more changes. _gvimrc is same for both.

      but when install gvim 7.3.42 Georgian is seen only in digraph method

      i dont deeg deeply, maybe experts can see reason easy, i'll be gratefull for explantion

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2012
        On 08/01/12 11:13, Zura Kutchava wrote:
        > thanks everybody for comprehensive answers
        >
        > i find very simply solution
        >
        > when i install gvim 7.3.386 then i can type Georgian(from 10d0 to 10f0) in input mode without more changes. _gvimrc is same for both.
        >
        > but when install gvim 7.3.42 Georgian is seen only in digraph method
        >
        > i dont deeg deeply, maybe experts can see reason easy, i'll be gratefull for explantion

        Well, maybe tou'll find something "interesting" between the lines
        7.3.042 (excluded) and 7.3.386 (included) in
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.3/README

        O give me a home,
        Where the buffalo roam,
        Where the deer and the antelope play,
        Where seldom is heard
        A discouraging word,
        'Cause what can an antelope say?

      • Kenneth Reid Beesley
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
          > To input Georgian characters, you can:
          > - use a keymap (and create your own if there is no satisfactory one), see
          > :help 'keymap'
          > :help keymap-file-format

          zkutch,

          RE: gvim, Unicode, Georgian mxedruli

          Here's how I have implemented Georgian mxedruli in gvim. Corrections and suggestions
          would be welcome.

          For displaying Georgian mxedruli, the DejaVu Sans Mono font has the glyphs (and is a good
          general Unicode mono font, suitable for gvim). You will have to install this font (or a similar
          Unicode mono font) on Windows wherever you install fonts so that they are visible to gvim.

          Keymap

          I assume here that you want to use a keymap, which allows you to type Roman letters,
          and simple sequences (bigraphs, trigraphs, etc.) of Roman letters on your keyboard. These
          are intercepted by the keymap and turned into mxedruli characters before being entered
          into the buffer. You type an unambiguous Roman _transliteration_ of mxedruli, so the keymap
          (below) is titled mxedruli-translit_utf-8.vim. This mxedruli-translit_utf-8.vim file should be
          installed in your ~/.vim/keymap/ directory (or the equivalent for Windows).

          Key points:
          1. You have to tell gvim to use DejaVu Sans Mono (or another Unicode-encoded
          mono font that contains the mxedruli glyphs).
          2. You want gvim to store/encode text internally in utf-8 (a default encoding of Unicode)
          3. You want gvim to save buffers to file in utf-8 and read files in utf-8
          4. You want easy ways to activate and de-activate the mxedruli keymap when you type
          You do this via commands in your .gvimrc file.

          I'm not a Windows user, but something close to the following should work for you.

          In your .gvimrc file, add the lines:

          if has ("multi_byte") " i.e. compiled for multi_byte, needed for Unicode
          if &encoding !~? '^u' " if encoding does not start u or U
          if &termencoding=='' " don't clobber keyboard locale
          let &termencoding=&encoding
          endif
          set encoding=utf-8 " how vim should represent text internally
          endif
          " fileencodings, tried in order when opening an existing file
          set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,iso-8859-1
          setglobal bomb
          " fileencoding is the encoding vim will use to write files
          setglobal fileencoding=utf-8
          else
          echomsg 'Warning: Multibyte support not compiled in.'
          endif

          set anti guifont="DejaVu Sans Mono:h14

          " input sequences to activate the mxedruli keymap
          nmap ,m :setlocal keymap=mxedruli-translit_utf-8<Enter>
          imap ,m <Esc>:setlocal keymap=mxedruli-translit_utf-8<Enter>a

          " toggle keymaps (to previous and back) N.B. <C-^> works only in Insert mode
          " and in command-line mode
          nmap ,. i<C-^><Esc>
          imap ,. <C-^>
          cmap ,. <C-^>

          " return to the neutral keymap
          nmap ,, :setlocal keymap="neutral"<Enter>
          imap ,, <Esc>:setlocal keymap="neutral"<Enter>a

          " end of additions to .gvimrc

          Put the mxedruli-translit_utf-8.vim file (below) in your ~/.vim/keymap/ directory
          (or equivalent for Windows).

          " mxedruli-translit_utf-8.vim
          "
          " Maintainer: Kenneth R. Beesley krbeesley ATT gmail DOTT com
          " Created: 2008-09-21
          " Last Changed: 2012-01-09

          " vim keymap (input method) for entering Georgian mxedruli

          " Installation: place this file in ~/.vim/keymap/

          " Selection inside gvim
          " :setlocal keymap=mxedruli-translit_utf-8
          "
          " or, in your .gvimrc file, include the commands
          " nmap ,m :setlocal keymap=mxedruli-translit_utf-8<Enter>
          " imap ,m <Esc>:setlocal keymap=mxedruli-translit_utf-8<Enter>a
          "
          " nmap ,. i<C-^><Esc>
          " imap ,. <C-^>
          " cmap ,. <C-^>

          " nmap ,, :setlocal keymap="neutral"<Enter>
          " imap ,, <Esc>:setlocal keymap="neutral"<Enter>a
          "
          " so that you can activate the mxedruli input method by typing ,m
          " toggle back and forth by typing ,.
          " and return to the "neutral" keymap by typing ,,

          " **************************************************************

          " this short name is for display in the status line
          let b:keymap_name="mxedruli-translit"

          " change the lCursor color (the color when this keymap is active)
          highlight lCursor guifg=NONE guibg=Cyan

          loadkeymap

          a <Char-0x10D0>
          b <Char-0x10D1>
          g <Char-0x10D2>
          d <Char-0x10D3>
          e <Char-0x10D4>
          v <Char-0x10D5>
          z <Char-0x10D6>
          t <Char-0x10D7>
          i <Char-0x10D8>
          k' <Char-0x10D9>
          l <Char-0x10DA>
          m <Char-0x10DB>
          n <Char-0x10DC>
          o <Char-0x10DD>
          p' <Char-0x10DE>
          Z <Char-0x10DF>
          r <Char-0x10E0>
          s <Char-0x10E1>
          t' <Char-0x10E2>
          u <Char-0x10E3>
          p <Char-0x10E4>
          k <Char-0x10E5>
          G <Char-0x10E6>

          q' <Char-0x10E7>
          q <Char-0x10E7> " no q vs. q' distinction

          S <Char-0x10E8>
          tS <Char-0x10E9>
          ts <Char-0x10EA>
          dz <Char-0x10EB>
          ts' <Char-0x10EC>
          tS' <Char-0x10ED>

          x <Char-0x10EE>
          X <Char-0x10EE> " x and X the same

          dZ <Char-0x10EF>
          h <Char-0x10F0>

          " literalize with preceding backslash
          " (seldom needed)

          \p <Char-0x10E4>
          \t <Char-0x10D7>
          \k <Char-0x10E5>
          \d <Char-0x10D3>
          \s <Char-0x10E1>
          \S <Char-0x10E8>
          \z <Char-0x10D6>
          \Z <Char-0x10DF>
          \' '

          " literalize the backslash itself
          \\ \

          " end of mxedruli-translit_utf-8.vim

          With this setup, when you launch gvim, you just need to type

          ,m

          i.e. a comma followed immediately by an m, to activate the
          mxedruli keymap. While this mode is active, you just type
          a, e, i, o and u to enter the obvious vowels, and (as far as
          possible) you type the obvious Roman equivalents for the
          consonants. Ejectives are entered with a roman consonant
          followed by a single quote: e.g. p', t', k'. See the keymap
          above for other mapping details.

          See
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_alphabet
          for the Unicode code point values.

          You can of course modify the keymap to your taste by changing
          the input sequences on the left side, as long as each input sequence is unique.

          To toggle between the mxedruli keymap and the previous
          keymap, just type ,. (i.e. comma followed immediately by
          a period).

          To return to the default/normal keymap, just type
          ,,
          i.e. two commas together.

          Good luck,

          Ken

          On 7Jan2012, at 00:42, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > On 04/01/12 23:01, Zura Kutchava wrote:
          >>

          >> Dear friends
          >>
          >> finding and trying everything that supports unicode in gvim in windows xp or 2003. No fonts, no digraphs, no countless encodings help to display
          >> unicode symbols from 10d0 to 10f0 (georgian)
          >>
          >> may be somebody have any idea?
          >>
          >> i little programming in c/c++ so if it will be good i can try to help
          >>
          >> thanks beforehand
          >>
          >> zkutch
          >>

          > About fonts in gvim, see
          > http://vim.wikia.com/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI
          > On Windows, the command
          > :set gfn=*
          > allows you to choose a font by a menu. It's been too long since I've left Windows to remember, but maybe the display on the bottom of that dialog is actually an input area, where you can paste any text (e.g. Georgian text) from the clipboard and see how it would be displayed in that font.
          >
          > About using Unicode in Vim (in General), see
          > http://vim.wikia.com/Working_with_Unicode
          >
          > To input Georgian characters, you can:
          > - use a keymap (and create your own if there is no satisfactory one), see
          > :help 'keymap'
          > :help keymap-file-format
          >
          > - use digraphs (and create your own if there are no satisfactory ones)
          > see
          > :help :digraph
          >
          > - and if nothing else avails, you can always use the method described under
          > :help i_CTRL-V_digit
          >

          > Best regards,
          > Tony.
          > --
          > ARTHUR: Right! Knights! Forward!
          > ARTHUR leads a charge toward the castle. Various shots of them battling on,
          > despite being hit by a variety of farm animals.
          > "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD
          >
          > --
          > You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.

          ******************************
          Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
          P.O. Box 540475
          North Salt Lake, UT
          84054 USA

        • Zura Kutchava
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
            Thanks a lot

            i check your keymap and setting and, of course, it works for gvim73-46

            i also changed keymap (put in attachment) to coincide it with windows georgian keyboard, for that people who use georgian keyboard in windows. It came from old (befor computers) georgian printing press keyboard. So for 73-46 users everything is ready.

            the good side of this keyboard is that it's possible to type one key for one georgian letter. Hope it will be usefull for georgian keyboard users.

            let me repeat that most easy is install gvim-7-3-386 and in it directly switch keyboard layots

            zkutch