Re: unicode

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2012
      On 04/01/12 23:01, Zura Kutchava wrote:

      > Dear friends
      >
      > finding and trying everything that supports unicode in gvim in windows xp or 2003. No fonts, no digraphs, no countless encodings help to display
      > unicode symbols from 10d0 to 10f0 (georgian)
      >
      > may be somebody have any idea?
      >
      > i little programming in c/c++ so if it will be good i can try to help
      >
      > thanks beforehand
      >
      > zkutch

      About fonts in gvim, see
      http://vim.wikia.com/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI
      On Windows, the command
      :set gfn=*
      allows you to choose a font by a menu. It's been too long since I've
      left Windows to remember, but maybe the display on the bottom of that
      dialog is actually an input area, where you can paste any text (e.g.
      Georgian text) from the clipboard and see how it would be displayed in
      that font.

      About using Unicode in Vim (in General), see
      http://vim.wikia.com/Working_with_Unicode

      To input Georgian characters, you can:
      - use a keymap (and create your own if there is no satisfactory one), see
      :help 'keymap'
      :help keymap-file-format

      - use digraphs (and create your own if there are no satisfactory ones)
      see
      :help :digraph

      - and if nothing else avails, you can always use the method described under
      :help i_CTRL-V_digit

      ARTHUR: Right! Knights! Forward!
      ARTHUR leads a charge toward the castle. Various shots of them
      battling on,
      despite being hit by a variety of farm animals.
      PICTURES LTD

    • Zura Kutchava
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2012
        thanks everybody for comprehensive answers

        i find very simply solution

        when i install gvim 7.3.386 then i can type Georgian(from 10d0 to 10f0) in input mode without more changes. _gvimrc is same for both.

        but when install gvim 7.3.42 Georgian is seen only in digraph method

        i dont deeg deeply, maybe experts can see reason easy, i'll be gratefull for explantion

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2012
          On 08/01/12 11:13, Zura Kutchava wrote:
          > thanks everybody for comprehensive answers
          >
          > i find very simply solution
          >
          > when i install gvim 7.3.386 then i can type Georgian(from 10d0 to 10f0) in input mode without more changes. _gvimrc is same for both.
          >
          > but when install gvim 7.3.42 Georgian is seen only in digraph method
          >
          > i dont deeg deeply, maybe experts can see reason easy, i'll be gratefull for explantion

          Well, maybe tou'll find something "interesting" between the lines
          7.3.042 (excluded) and 7.3.386 (included) in
          ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.3/README

          O give me a home,
          Where the buffalo roam,
          Where the deer and the antelope play,
          Where seldom is heard
          A discouraging word,
          'Cause what can an antelope say?

        • Kenneth Reid Beesley
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
            > To input Georgian characters, you can:
            > - use a keymap (and create your own if there is no satisfactory one), see
            > :help 'keymap'
            > :help keymap-file-format

            zkutch,

            RE: gvim, Unicode, Georgian mxedruli

            Here's how I have implemented Georgian mxedruli in gvim. Corrections and suggestions
            would be welcome.

            For displaying Georgian mxedruli, the DejaVu Sans Mono font has the glyphs (and is a good
            general Unicode mono font, suitable for gvim). You will have to install this font (or a similar
            Unicode mono font) on Windows wherever you install fonts so that they are visible to gvim.

            Keymap

            I assume here that you want to use a keymap, which allows you to type Roman letters,
            and simple sequences (bigraphs, trigraphs, etc.) of Roman letters on your keyboard. These
            are intercepted by the keymap and turned into mxedruli characters before being entered
            into the buffer. You type an unambiguous Roman _transliteration_ of mxedruli, so the keymap
            (below) is titled mxedruli-translit_utf-8.vim. This mxedruli-translit_utf-8.vim file should be
            installed in your ~/.vim/keymap/ directory (or the equivalent for Windows).

            Key points:
            1. You have to tell gvim to use DejaVu Sans Mono (or another Unicode-encoded
            mono font that contains the mxedruli glyphs).
            2. You want gvim to store/encode text internally in utf-8 (a default encoding of Unicode)
            3. You want gvim to save buffers to file in utf-8 and read files in utf-8
            4. You want easy ways to activate and de-activate the mxedruli keymap when you type
            You do this via commands in your .gvimrc file.

            I'm not a Windows user, but something close to the following should work for you.

            In your .gvimrc file, add the lines:

            if has ("multi_byte") " i.e. compiled for multi_byte, needed for Unicode
            if &encoding !~? '^u' " if encoding does not start u or U
            if &termencoding=='' " don't clobber keyboard locale
            let &termencoding=&encoding
            endif
            set encoding=utf-8 " how vim should represent text internally
            endif
            " fileencodings, tried in order when opening an existing file
            set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,iso-8859-1
            setglobal bomb
            " fileencoding is the encoding vim will use to write files
            setglobal fileencoding=utf-8
            else
            echomsg 'Warning: Multibyte support not compiled in.'
            endif

            set anti guifont="DejaVu Sans Mono:h14

            " input sequences to activate the mxedruli keymap
            nmap ,m :setlocal keymap=mxedruli-translit_utf-8<Enter>
            imap ,m <Esc>:setlocal keymap=mxedruli-translit_utf-8<Enter>a

            " toggle keymaps (to previous and back) N.B. <C-^> works only in Insert mode
            " and in command-line mode
            nmap ,. i<C-^><Esc>
            imap ,. <C-^>
            cmap ,. <C-^>

            " return to the neutral keymap
            nmap ,, :setlocal keymap="neutral"<Enter>
            imap ,, <Esc>:setlocal keymap="neutral"<Enter>a

            " end of additions to .gvimrc

            Put the mxedruli-translit_utf-8.vim file (below) in your ~/.vim/keymap/ directory
            (or equivalent for Windows).

            " mxedruli-translit_utf-8.vim
            "
            " Maintainer: Kenneth R. Beesley krbeesley ATT gmail DOTT com
            " Created: 2008-09-21
            " Last Changed: 2012-01-09

            " vim keymap (input method) for entering Georgian mxedruli

            " Installation: place this file in ~/.vim/keymap/

            " Selection inside gvim
            " :setlocal keymap=mxedruli-translit_utf-8
            "
            " or, in your .gvimrc file, include the commands
            " nmap ,m :setlocal keymap=mxedruli-translit_utf-8<Enter>
            " imap ,m <Esc>:setlocal keymap=mxedruli-translit_utf-8<Enter>a
            "
            " nmap ,. i<C-^><Esc>
            " imap ,. <C-^>
            " cmap ,. <C-^>

            " nmap ,, :setlocal keymap="neutral"<Enter>
            " imap ,, <Esc>:setlocal keymap="neutral"<Enter>a
            "
            " so that you can activate the mxedruli input method by typing ,m
            " toggle back and forth by typing ,.
            " and return to the "neutral" keymap by typing ,,

            " **************************************************************

            " this short name is for display in the status line
            let b:keymap_name="mxedruli-translit"

            " change the lCursor color (the color when this keymap is active)
            highlight lCursor guifg=NONE guibg=Cyan

            loadkeymap

            a <Char-0x10D0>
            b <Char-0x10D1>
            g <Char-0x10D2>
            d <Char-0x10D3>
            e <Char-0x10D4>
            v <Char-0x10D5>
            z <Char-0x10D6>
            t <Char-0x10D7>
            i <Char-0x10D8>
            k' <Char-0x10D9>
            l <Char-0x10DA>
            m <Char-0x10DB>
            n <Char-0x10DC>
            o <Char-0x10DD>
            p' <Char-0x10DE>
            Z <Char-0x10DF>
            r <Char-0x10E0>
            s <Char-0x10E1>
            t' <Char-0x10E2>
            u <Char-0x10E3>
            p <Char-0x10E4>
            k <Char-0x10E5>
            G <Char-0x10E6>

            q' <Char-0x10E7>
            q <Char-0x10E7> " no q vs. q' distinction

            S <Char-0x10E8>
            tS <Char-0x10E9>
            ts <Char-0x10EA>
            dz <Char-0x10EB>
            ts' <Char-0x10EC>
            tS' <Char-0x10ED>

            x <Char-0x10EE>
            X <Char-0x10EE> " x and X the same

            dZ <Char-0x10EF>
            h <Char-0x10F0>

            " literalize with preceding backslash
            " (seldom needed)

            \p <Char-0x10E4>
            \t <Char-0x10D7>
            \k <Char-0x10E5>
            \d <Char-0x10D3>
            \s <Char-0x10E1>
            \S <Char-0x10E8>
            \z <Char-0x10D6>
            \Z <Char-0x10DF>
            \' '

            " literalize the backslash itself
            \\ \

            " end of mxedruli-translit_utf-8.vim

            With this setup, when you launch gvim, you just need to type

            ,m

            i.e. a comma followed immediately by an m, to activate the
            mxedruli keymap. While this mode is active, you just type
            a, e, i, o and u to enter the obvious vowels, and (as far as
            possible) you type the obvious Roman equivalents for the
            consonants. Ejectives are entered with a roman consonant
            followed by a single quote: e.g. p', t', k'. See the keymap
            above for other mapping details.

            See
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_alphabet
            for the Unicode code point values.

            You can of course modify the keymap to your taste by changing
            the input sequences on the left side, as long as each input sequence is unique.

            To toggle between the mxedruli keymap and the previous
            keymap, just type ,. (i.e. comma followed immediately by
            a period).

            To return to the default/normal keymap, just type
            ,,
            i.e. two commas together.

            Good luck,

            Ken

            On 7Jan2012, at 00:42, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > On 04/01/12 23:01, Zura Kutchava wrote:
            >>

            >> Dear friends
            >>
            >> finding and trying everything that supports unicode in gvim in windows xp or 2003. No fonts, no digraphs, no countless encodings help to display
            >> unicode symbols from 10d0 to 10f0 (georgian)
            >>
            >> may be somebody have any idea?
            >>
            >> i little programming in c/c++ so if it will be good i can try to help
            >>
            >> thanks beforehand
            >>
            >> zkutch
            >>

            > About fonts in gvim, see
            > http://vim.wikia.com/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI
            > On Windows, the command
            > :set gfn=*
            > allows you to choose a font by a menu. It's been too long since I've left Windows to remember, but maybe the display on the bottom of that dialog is actually an input area, where you can paste any text (e.g. Georgian text) from the clipboard and see how it would be displayed in that font.
            >
            > About using Unicode in Vim (in General), see
            > http://vim.wikia.com/Working_with_Unicode
            >
            > To input Georgian characters, you can:
            > - use a keymap (and create your own if there is no satisfactory one), see
            > :help 'keymap'
            > :help keymap-file-format
            >
            > - use digraphs (and create your own if there are no satisfactory ones)
            > see
            > :help :digraph
            >
            > - and if nothing else avails, you can always use the method described under
            > :help i_CTRL-V_digit
            >

            > Best regards,
            > Tony.
            > --
            > ARTHUR: Right! Knights! Forward!
            > ARTHUR leads a charge toward the castle. Various shots of them battling on,
            > despite being hit by a variety of farm animals.
            > "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD
            >
            > --
            > You received this message from the "vim_multibyte" maillist.

            ******************************
            Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
            P.O. Box 540475
            North Salt Lake, UT
            84054 USA

          • Zura Kutchava
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
              Thanks a lot

              i check your keymap and setting and, of course, it works for gvim73-46

              i also changed keymap (put in attachment) to coincide it with windows georgian keyboard, for that people who use georgian keyboard in windows. It came from old (befor computers) georgian printing press keyboard. So for 73-46 users everything is ready.

              the good side of this keyboard is that it's possible to type one key for one georgian letter. Hope it will be usefull for georgian keyboard users.

              let me repeat that most easy is install gvim-7-3-386 and in it directly switch keyboard layots

              zkutch