to or till (f or t) a non-ascii character

  • Ramana Kumar
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2010
      I have set up some abbreviations to turn certain ASCII strings into
      appropriate Unicode counterparts, for example from '==>' to '=>'. This works
      wonderfully.

      One problem, however, is when I now have a Unicode character sitting in my
      buffer, I can't jump to it easily using the insert-mode 't' and 'f'
      commands. Is there any way I could do this? The best for me would be if I
      could do a 't=' and have it count occurrences of '=>' among the things to
      jump to, since I originally typed '=' to get that character.

      A related but different issue is getting those characters into the command
      line buffer, for example if I want to search for a a string containing
      Unicode characters. My abbreviations won't work in that buffer... is there a
      way to get them to work? Or what about yanking/putting text between the main
      buffer and the command buffer?

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 21, 2010
        Ramana Kumar wrote:
        > to or till (f or t) a non-ascii character

        This mailing list has almost no traffic. While in principle it
        is the correct one for your question, in practice you should
        send a new message to vim_use (don't bother mentioning that you
        posted here; just send a new message).

        > Or what about yanking/putting text between the main buffer and
        > the command buffer?

        I can comment on this. If you yank some text (e.g. yiw), you can
        paste it into the command line by pressing Ctrl-R then " (a
        double quote for the unnamed register, see ':help registers').

        John

      • Ramana Kumar
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 21, 2010
          On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Muskoka Auto Parts Limited
          <map@...> wrote:
          >  On 10-09-20 10:26 PM, Ramana Kumar wrote:
          >> I have set up some abbreviations to turn certain ASCII strings into
          >> appropriate Unicode counterparts, for example from '==>' to '=>'. This works
          >> wonderfully.
          >
          > Neat idea!  Care to share your whole list?

          Look at the holabs.vim file here
          http://hol.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hol/HOL/tools/vim/