Re: Planning Vim 7.3

  • Edward L. Fox
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2010
      On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 04:33:31PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Hello Vim users!
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution. I'll
      > drop CVS, it slows me down too much. Someone else might be able to
      > mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.

      I don't think we have any reason to keep the CVS repository any
      longer. It's way too slow and rather user-unfriendly. Nobody will
      want to use CVS if he could have any other alternatives.

      I think the Subversion repository should also be abandoned. I tried
      Mercurial, it's rather powerful and very easy to use. I suggest that
      we just stick with Mercurial and only use this as official repository.
      If any other people wish to use other forms of repositories, they can
      publish their unofficial mirrors, just as vim-cocoa does.

      > I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May. That gives
      > everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
      > files. I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
      > integrate everything.

      What's the feature-freeze date? I want to submit a small feature and
      a tiny feature. Hope I could have enough time for that.

      > It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
      > wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
      > section.
      >
      > --
      > SOLDIER: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
      > ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk ...
      > "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

      > \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///

    • Nicholas Cole
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2010
        On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Tony Mechelynck
        <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
        > On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >>
        >> Christian Brabandt wrote:
        >>
        >>> Are you considering any patches from
        >>> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
        >>> for inclusion?
        >>
        >> Yes, but many of these patches are not mature.  E.g., first one,
        >> "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
        >> verify that it doesn't break anything.  That's a pity, because it can
        >> make syntax highlighting much faster.
        >>
        >> I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
        >> of bug fixes.  "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
        >> 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
        >> risc.  Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
        >> carefully looking through the code changes.
        >>

        > It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my top
        > five; not in preference order.
        >
        > #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long track
        > record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve Hall's Vim
        > for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and it was not new
        > even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial (not enough
        > "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been victim of
        > bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline" patches) and of
        > course bringing it in would eliminate that problem forever. A compile-time
        > option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

        This thread has been a good reminder to renew my sponsorship, in part
        because Vim deserves the support, and in part so I can vote again for
        this patch! I've never been clear why this patch should be
        controversial, though.

        Best wishes,

        Nicholas