Re: Planning Vim 7.3

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12 12:08 AM
      On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Christian Brabandt wrote:
      >
      >> Are you considering any patches from
      >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
      >> for inclusion?
      >
      > Yes, but many of these patches are not mature. E.g., first one,
      > "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
      > verify that it doesn't break anything. That's a pity, because it can
      > make syntax highlighting much faster.
      >
      > I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
      > of bug fixes. "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
      > 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
      > risc. Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
      > carefully looking through the code changes.

      It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my
      top five; not in preference order.

      #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long
      track record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve
      Hall's Vim for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and
      it was not new even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial
      (not enough "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been
      victim of bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline"
      patches) and of course bringing it in would eliminate that problem
      forever. A compile-time option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

      #13 (Access W32 clipboard from Cygwin "Unix" Vim) is interesting but
      still in beta. IIUC ifdeffed by whatever FEAT_* corresponds to
      has('win32unix'). Bring 'em in or let it bake some more?

      #10 (Variable tabstops) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it.
      Reportedly still in alpha. Probably wait some more (Vim 8.0 ?) but keep
      an eye on it.

      #9 (Relative line numbers) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it. Its
      authors say "it works". I don't feel competent to evaluate it by
      eyeballing the code.

      #7 (Bill McCarthy's additional float functions). This one I've taken up
      in my "Huge" Vim. Not a single problem AFAICT. Code examination shows
      that it is done cleanly and simply, within #ifdef FEAT_FLOAT, and does
      not interfere with other stuff outside the "call function -> return
      value" codepath. IMHO this one is the most worthy of including into
      mainline Vim (and perhaps the least risky). Maybe a one-time check in a
      build with FEAT_EVAL on and FEAT_FLOAT off to make sure no #ifdef was
      forgotten. (I already compile a Tiny build without +eval in addition to
      my Huge build, from the same source, and no problems there either.)
      Documentation exists and is well-written, as a separate helpfile to
      avoid problems with rsync; probably merge that into eval.txt.

      n = ((n >> 1) & 0x55555555) | ((n << 1) & 0xaaaaaaaa);
      n = ((n >> 2) & 0x33333333) | ((n << 2) & 0xcccccccc);
      n = ((n >> 4) & 0x0f0f0f0f) | ((n << 4) & 0xf0f0f0f0);
      n = ((n >> 8) & 0x00ff00ff) | ((n << 8) & 0xff00ff00);
      n = ((n >> 16) & 0x0000ffff) | ((n << 16) & 0xffff0000);

      -- C code which reverses the bits in a word.

    • Edward L. Fox
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12 1:58 AM
        On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 04:33:31PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Hello Vim users!
        >
        > [...]
        >
        > Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution. I'll
        > drop CVS, it slows me down too much. Someone else might be able to
        > mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.

        I don't think we have any reason to keep the CVS repository any
        longer. It's way too slow and rather user-unfriendly. Nobody will
        want to use CVS if he could have any other alternatives.

        I think the Subversion repository should also be abandoned. I tried
        Mercurial, it's rather powerful and very easy to use. I suggest that
        we just stick with Mercurial and only use this as official repository.
        If any other people wish to use other forms of repositories, they can
        publish their unofficial mirrors, just as vim-cocoa does.

        > I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May. That gives
        > everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
        > files. I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
        > integrate everything.

        What's the feature-freeze date? I want to submit a small feature and
        a tiny feature. Hope I could have enough time for that.

        > It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
        > wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
        > section.
        >
        > --
        > SOLDIER: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
        > ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk ...
        > "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

        > \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///

      • Nicholas Cole
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12 2:57 AM
          On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Tony Mechelynck
          <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          > On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          >>
          >> Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >>
          >>> Are you considering any patches from
          >>> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
          >>> for inclusion?
          >>
          >> Yes, but many of these patches are not mature.  E.g., first one,
          >> "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
          >> verify that it doesn't break anything.  That's a pity, because it can
          >> make syntax highlighting much faster.
          >>
          >> I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
          >> of bug fixes.  "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
          >> 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
          >> risc.  Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
          >> carefully looking through the code changes.
          >>

          > It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my top
          > five; not in preference order.
          >
          > #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long track
          > record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve Hall's Vim
          > for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and it was not new
          > even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial (not enough
          > "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been victim of
          > bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline" patches) and of
          > course bringing it in would eliminate that problem forever. A compile-time
          > option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

          This thread has been a good reminder to renew my sponsorship, in part
          because Vim deserves the support, and in part so I can vote again for
          this patch! I've never been clear why this patch should be
          controversial, though.

          Best wishes,

          Nicholas