Re: Planning Vim 7.3

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11, 2010
      On 11/04/10 16:33, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      [...]
      > It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
      > wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
      > section.

      IIUC, Mozilla uses the same spellfile format as Vim? If that's the case,
      and if the Mozilla license (which, BTW, is undergoing revision, see
      among others
      http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2010/03/10/updating-the-mozilla-public-license/
      ), or whatever other license some of these dictionaries may be using, is
      found to be compatible with the Vim license, then maybe we could "just"
      borrow the desired files from the dictionaries at
      https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/browse/type:3 ? (Note: an
      .xpi is just a .zip under another name.)

      Heavy, adj.:
      Seduced by the chocolate side of the force.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11, 2010
        Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > Are you considering any patches from
        > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
        > for inclusion?

        Yes, but many of these patches are not mature. E.g., first one,
        "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
        verify that it doesn't break anything. That's a pity, because it can
        make syntax highlighting much faster.

        I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
        of bug fixes. "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
        7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
        risc. Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
        carefully looking through the code changes.

        --
        CART DRIVER: Bring out your dead!
        We follow the cart through a wretched, impoverished plague-ridden village.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12, 2010
          On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >
          >> Are you considering any patches from
          >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
          >> for inclusion?
          >
          > Yes, but many of these patches are not mature. E.g., first one,
          > "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
          > verify that it doesn't break anything. That's a pity, because it can
          > make syntax highlighting much faster.
          >
          > I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
          > of bug fixes. "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
          > 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
          > risc. Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
          > carefully looking through the code changes.

          It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my
          top five; not in preference order.

          #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long
          track record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve
          Hall's Vim for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and
          it was not new even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial
          (not enough "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been
          victim of bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline"
          patches) and of course bringing it in would eliminate that problem
          forever. A compile-time option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

          #13 (Access W32 clipboard from Cygwin "Unix" Vim) is interesting but
          still in beta. IIUC ifdeffed by whatever FEAT_* corresponds to
          has('win32unix'). Bring 'em in or let it bake some more?

          #10 (Variable tabstops) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it.
          Reportedly still in alpha. Probably wait some more (Vim 8.0 ?) but keep
          an eye on it.

          #9 (Relative line numbers) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it. Its
          authors say "it works". I don't feel competent to evaluate it by
          eyeballing the code.

          #7 (Bill McCarthy's additional float functions). This one I've taken up
          in my "Huge" Vim. Not a single problem AFAICT. Code examination shows
          that it is done cleanly and simply, within #ifdef FEAT_FLOAT, and does
          not interfere with other stuff outside the "call function -> return
          value" codepath. IMHO this one is the most worthy of including into
          mainline Vim (and perhaps the least risky). Maybe a one-time check in a
          build with FEAT_EVAL on and FEAT_FLOAT off to make sure no #ifdef was
          forgotten. (I already compile a Tiny build without +eval in addition to
          my Huge build, from the same source, and no problems there either.)
          Documentation exists and is well-written, as a separate helpfile to
          avoid problems with rsync; probably merge that into eval.txt.

          n = ((n >> 1) & 0x55555555) | ((n << 1) & 0xaaaaaaaa);
          n = ((n >> 2) & 0x33333333) | ((n << 2) & 0xcccccccc);
          n = ((n >> 4) & 0x0f0f0f0f) | ((n << 4) & 0xf0f0f0f0);
          n = ((n >> 8) & 0x00ff00ff) | ((n << 8) & 0xff00ff00);
          n = ((n >> 16) & 0x0000ffff) | ((n << 16) & 0xffff0000);

          -- C code which reverses the bits in a word.

        • Edward L. Fox
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 12, 2010
            On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 04:33:31PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Hello Vim users!
            >
            > [...]
            >
            > Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution. I'll
            > drop CVS, it slows me down too much. Someone else might be able to
            > mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.

            I don't think we have any reason to keep the CVS repository any
            longer. It's way too slow and rather user-unfriendly. Nobody will
            want to use CVS if he could have any other alternatives.

            I think the Subversion repository should also be abandoned. I tried
            Mercurial, it's rather powerful and very easy to use. I suggest that
            we just stick with Mercurial and only use this as official repository.
            If any other people wish to use other forms of repositories, they can
            publish their unofficial mirrors, just as vim-cocoa does.

            > I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May. That gives
            > everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
            > files. I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
            > integrate everything.

            What's the feature-freeze date? I want to submit a small feature and
            a tiny feature. Hope I could have enough time for that.

            > It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
            > wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
            > section.
            >
            > --
            > SOLDIER: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
            > ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk ...
            > "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

            > \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///

          • Nicholas Cole
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 12, 2010
              On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Tony Mechelynck
              <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
              > On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              >>
              >> Christian Brabandt wrote:
              >>
              >>> Are you considering any patches from
              >>> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
              >>> for inclusion?
              >>
              >> Yes, but many of these patches are not mature.  E.g., first one,
              >> "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
              >> verify that it doesn't break anything.  That's a pity, because it can
              >> make syntax highlighting much faster.
              >>
              >> I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
              >> of bug fixes.  "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
              >> 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
              >> risc.  Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
              >> carefully looking through the code changes.
              >>

              > It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my top
              > five; not in preference order.
              >
              > #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long track
              > record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve Hall's Vim
              > for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and it was not new
              > even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial (not enough
              > "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been victim of
              > bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline" patches) and of
              > course bringing it in would eliminate that problem forever. A compile-time
              > option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

              This thread has been a good reminder to renew my sponsorship, in part
              because Vim deserves the support, and in part so I can vote again for
              this patch! I've never been clear why this patch should be
              controversial, though.

              Best wishes,

              Nicholas