Planning Vim 7.3

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11, 2010
      Hello Vim users!

      It has been a long time since the last release: Vim 7.2 was released in
      August 2008. There have been many patches, but not everybody will use
      them. It's about time for 7.3!

      I will try to include a few patches that have been pending for a while.
      I don't have much time available, thus I will only include things that
      take a few hours of my time. That basically means patches that are
      ready to be included.

      I will check the voting list to see what the most popular features are:
      http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

      One thing that I will certainly do is improve the MS-Windows installer.
      I recently installed Vim on a new laptop and it didn't work very well.
      More and more people are using Windows 7. I think that taking Window XP
      as the minimal platform will work well. I hope we can make installing
      Vim on MS-Windows as simple and reliable as possible.

      I also plan to drop the split in "lang" and "extra" archives. The
      burden to have several feature sets is no longer justified by the
      slightly smaller distribution. Putting everything together makes things
      a lot simpler.

      Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution. I'll
      drop CVS, it slows me down too much. Someone else might be able to
      mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.

      I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May. That gives
      everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
      files. I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
      integrate everything.

      It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
      wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
      section.

      --
      SOLDIER: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
      ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk ...

      You received this message from the "vim_announce" maillist.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11, 2010
        On 11/04/10 16:33, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        [...]
        > It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
        > wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
        > section.

        IIUC, Mozilla uses the same spellfile format as Vim? If that's the case,
        and if the Mozilla license (which, BTW, is undergoing revision, see
        among others
        http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2010/03/10/updating-the-mozilla-public-license/
        ), or whatever other license some of these dictionaries may be using, is
        found to be compatible with the Vim license, then maybe we could "just"
        borrow the desired files from the dictionaries at
        https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/browse/type:3 ? (Note: an
        .xpi is just a .zip under another name.)

        Heavy, adj.:
        Seduced by the chocolate side of the force.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2010
          Christian Brabandt wrote:

          > Are you considering any patches from
          > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
          > for inclusion?

          Yes, but many of these patches are not mature. E.g., first one,
          "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
          verify that it doesn't break anything. That's a pity, because it can
          make syntax highlighting much faster.

          I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
          of bug fixes. "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
          7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
          risc. Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
          carefully looking through the code changes.

          --
          CART DRIVER: Bring out your dead!
          We follow the cart through a wretched, impoverished plague-ridden village.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 12, 2010
            On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Christian Brabandt wrote:
            >
            >> Are you considering any patches from
            >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
            >> for inclusion?
            >
            > Yes, but many of these patches are not mature. E.g., first one,
            > "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
            > verify that it doesn't break anything. That's a pity, because it can
            > make syntax highlighting much faster.
            >
            > I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
            > of bug fixes. "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
            > 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
            > risc. Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
            > carefully looking through the code changes.

            It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my
            top five; not in preference order.

            #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long
            track record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve
            Hall's Vim for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and
            it was not new even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial
            (not enough "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been
            victim of bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline"
            patches) and of course bringing it in would eliminate that problem
            forever. A compile-time option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

            #13 (Access W32 clipboard from Cygwin "Unix" Vim) is interesting but
            still in beta. IIUC ifdeffed by whatever FEAT_* corresponds to
            has('win32unix'). Bring 'em in or let it bake some more?

            #10 (Variable tabstops) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it.
            Reportedly still in alpha. Probably wait some more (Vim 8.0 ?) but keep
            an eye on it.

            #9 (Relative line numbers) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it. Its
            authors say "it works". I don't feel competent to evaluate it by
            eyeballing the code.

            #7 (Bill McCarthy's additional float functions). This one I've taken up
            in my "Huge" Vim. Not a single problem AFAICT. Code examination shows
            that it is done cleanly and simply, within #ifdef FEAT_FLOAT, and does
            not interfere with other stuff outside the "call function -> return
            value" codepath. IMHO this one is the most worthy of including into
            mainline Vim (and perhaps the least risky). Maybe a one-time check in a
            build with FEAT_EVAL on and FEAT_FLOAT off to make sure no #ifdef was
            forgotten. (I already compile a Tiny build without +eval in addition to
            my Huge build, from the same source, and no problems there either.)
            Documentation exists and is well-written, as a separate helpfile to
            avoid problems with rsync; probably merge that into eval.txt.

            n = ((n >> 1) & 0x55555555) | ((n << 1) & 0xaaaaaaaa);
            n = ((n >> 2) & 0x33333333) | ((n << 2) & 0xcccccccc);
            n = ((n >> 4) & 0x0f0f0f0f) | ((n << 4) & 0xf0f0f0f0);
            n = ((n >> 8) & 0x00ff00ff) | ((n << 8) & 0xff00ff00);
            n = ((n >> 16) & 0x0000ffff) | ((n << 16) & 0xffff0000);

            -- C code which reverses the bits in a word.

          • Edward L. Fox
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 12, 2010
              On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 04:33:31PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Hello Vim users!
              >
              > [...]
              >
              > Mercurial is going to be the primary method for distribution. I'll
              > drop CVS, it slows me down too much. Someone else might be able to
              > mirror the Mercurial repository in CVS, like it's done for Subversion.

              I don't think we have any reason to keep the CVS repository any
              longer. It's way too slow and rather user-unfriendly. Nobody will
              want to use CVS if he could have any other alternatives.

              I think the Subversion repository should also be abandoned. I tried
              Mercurial, it's rather powerful and very easy to use. I suggest that
              we just stick with Mercurial and only use this as official repository.
              If any other people wish to use other forms of repositories, they can
              publish their unofficial mirrors, just as vim-cocoa does.

              > I hope to bring out a first beta version by the end of May. That gives
              > everybody time to send me updated and polished patches and runtime
              > files. I need to have these halfway May, I also need some time to
              > integrate everything.

              What's the feature-freeze date? I want to submit a small feature and
              a tiny feature. Hope I could have enough time for that.

              > It would also be nice if we can update the spell files. Volunteers
              > wanted! See $VIMRUNTIME/spell/README.txt, the "MAINTAINING A LANGUAGE"
              > section.
              >
              > --
              > SOLDIER: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
              > ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk ...
              > "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

              > \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///

            • Nicholas Cole
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 12, 2010
                On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Tony Mechelynck
                <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                > On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                >>
                >> Christian Brabandt wrote:
                >>
                >>> Are you considering any patches from
                >>> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
                >>> for inclusion?
                >>
                >> Yes, but many of these patches are not mature.  E.g., first one,
                >> "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
                >> verify that it doesn't break anything.  That's a pity, because it can
                >> make syntax highlighting much faster.
                >>
                >> I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
                >> of bug fixes.  "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
                >> 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
                >> risc.  Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
                >> carefully looking through the code changes.
                >>

                > It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my top
                > five; not in preference order.
                >
                > #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long track
                > record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve Hall's Vim
                > for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and it was not new
                > even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial (not enough
                > "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been victim of
                > bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline" patches) and of
                > course bringing it in would eliminate that problem forever. A compile-time
                > option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

                This thread has been a good reminder to renew my sponsorship, in part
                because Vim deserves the support, and in part so I can vote again for
                this patch! I've never been clear why this patch should be
                controversial, though.

                Best wishes,

                Nicholas