Re: Input greek characters

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
      On 09/03/10 02:09, Dennis Cao wrote:
      > Thanks Tony. I can input greek characters in gvim:) These are my steps:

      > ENVIRONMENT: Windows XP Pro SP3 Simple Chinese / Vim 7.2/
      >
      > 1. config _vimrc as follows:
      > set enc=utf-8
      > set fenc=utf-8
      > set guifont=courier_new:h12

      Try changing it as follows:

      if has('multi_byte') " if not compiled-in, we can't use it
      if &enc !~? '^u' " if already Unicode, no need to change
      if &tenc == "" " don't clobber keyboard locale
      let &tenc = &enc
      endif
      set enc=utf-8
      endif
      " define the heuristics to identify 'fileencoding'
      " of existing files
      set fencs=ucs-bom,utf-8,default,latin1
      " the following sets defaults for newly created files
      " comment, uncomment, or change at will
      setglobal bomb
      setglobal fenc=utf8
      endif
      if has('gui') " non-GUI-enabled versions don't know about 'guifont'
      if has('gui_gtk2') " GTK2 but not GTK1
      set gfn=Courier\ New\ 12
      elseif has('gui_photon') " Photon
      set gfn=Courier\ New:s12
      elseif has('gui_kde') " kvim (obsolete)
      set gfn=Courier\ New/12/-1/5/50/0/0/0/1/0
      elseif has('x11') " other X11 (including GTK1)
      set gfn=-*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-*
      else " other (including Windows)
      set gfn=Courier_New:h12:cDEFAULT
      endif
      endif

      > 2. open gvim from cygwin
      > Inputing greek characters with keymap and i_CTRL-V_digit works

      I don't know. Maybe Cygwin starts in UTF-8, which would mean that Vim
      <=> Cygwin happens in UTF-8 without misunderstanding even if
      'termencoding' (q.v.) is left empty.

      > And I find another issue. I have to START GVIM FROM "Cygwin"!!!
      > If I start gvim from windows explorer. The message characters in gvim
      > are not correctly displayed (see the attachment.)
      > Can can you tell the reasons? Thanks :)

      Hm, I'm not sure.

      Down with categorical imperative!

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010
        Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        > The site works for me. If you are in mainland China, maybe
        > the site is blocked by your government? (though I can't
        > imagine what would be "subversive" on that site)

        To the OP: Wikia is blocked in China (I don't know why). An old
        version of vim.wikia.com is available at a mirror site set up in
        response. The site is not maintained (I think) and is somewhat
        broken because various templates and so forth were not imported
        properly, however the content of most tips is available.

        The tip in question is:
        http://broom9.com/Vim_Tips_Wiki/index.php?title=Working_with_Unicode

        John

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010
          On 09/03/10 10:17, John Beckett wrote:
          > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          >> The site works for me. If you are in mainland China, maybe
          >> the site is blocked by your government? (though I can't
          >> imagine what would be "subversive" on that site)
          >
          > To the OP: Wikia is blocked in China (I don't know why). An old
          > version of vim.wikia.com is available at a mirror site set up in
          > response. The site is not maintained (I think) and is somewhat
          > broken because various templates and so forth were not imported
          > properly, however the content of most tips is available.
          >
          > The tip in question is:
          > http://broom9.com/Vim_Tips_Wiki/index.php?title=Working_with_Unicode
          >
          > John

          曹贵林: I'm not sure you follow vim_multibyte (though for this kind of
          discussion, you should).

          If it's the whole of wikia, then I suppose some Chinese official
          disliked something that was published on some /other/ wikia site, and
          that they blocked the whole of wikia without checking the fine points.

          "I played lead guitar in a band called The Federal Duck, which is the
          kind of name that was popular in the '60s as a result of controlled
          substances being in widespread use. Back then, there were no
          restrictions, in terms of talent, on who could make an album, so we
          made one, and it sounds like a group of people who have been given
          powerful but unfamiliar instruments as a therapy for a degenerative
          nerve disease."
          -- Dave Barry, "The Snake"