Re: Input greek characters

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
      On 09/03/10 02:37, Dennis Cao wrote:
      > Another Two Issue
      > 1. When using 'digraph' and 'i_CTRL-V_digit':
      > I find I can NOT input characters whose value are between 128 and
      > 255 (decimal).
      > All these char are displayed as a small rectangle. Why?
      > 2. http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode are not available
      > for me. My IE reports 'address is unavaiable'. Is the wiki site OK?
      >
      > Thanks:)
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > 曹贵林 ( Theodore Cao )

      The site works for me. If you are in mainland China, maybe the site is
      blocked by your government? (though I can't imagine what would be
      "subversive" on that site)

      Mark's Dental-Chair Discovery:
      Dentists are incapable of asking questions that require a
      simple yes or no answer.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
        On 09/03/10 02:09, Dennis Cao wrote:
        > Thanks Tony. I can input greek characters in gvim:) These are my steps:

        > ENVIRONMENT: Windows XP Pro SP3 Simple Chinese / Vim 7.2/
        >
        > 1. config _vimrc as follows:
        > set enc=utf-8
        > set fenc=utf-8
        > set guifont=courier_new:h12

        Try changing it as follows:

        if has('multi_byte') " if not compiled-in, we can't use it
        if &enc !~? '^u' " if already Unicode, no need to change
        if &tenc == "" " don't clobber keyboard locale
        let &tenc = &enc
        endif
        set enc=utf-8
        endif
        " define the heuristics to identify 'fileencoding'
        " of existing files
        set fencs=ucs-bom,utf-8,default,latin1
        " the following sets defaults for newly created files
        " comment, uncomment, or change at will
        setglobal bomb
        setglobal fenc=utf8
        endif
        if has('gui') " non-GUI-enabled versions don't know about 'guifont'
        if has('gui_gtk2') " GTK2 but not GTK1
        set gfn=Courier\ New\ 12
        elseif has('gui_photon') " Photon
        set gfn=Courier\ New:s12
        elseif has('gui_kde') " kvim (obsolete)
        set gfn=Courier\ New/12/-1/5/50/0/0/0/1/0
        elseif has('x11') " other X11 (including GTK1)
        set gfn=-*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-*
        else " other (including Windows)
        set gfn=Courier_New:h12:cDEFAULT
        endif
        endif

        > 2. open gvim from cygwin
        > Inputing greek characters with keymap and i_CTRL-V_digit works

        I don't know. Maybe Cygwin starts in UTF-8, which would mean that Vim
        <=> Cygwin happens in UTF-8 without misunderstanding even if
        'termencoding' (q.v.) is left empty.

        > And I find another issue. I have to START GVIM FROM "Cygwin"!!!
        > If I start gvim from windows explorer. The message characters in gvim
        > are not correctly displayed (see the attachment.)
        > Can can you tell the reasons? Thanks :)

        Hm, I'm not sure.

        Down with categorical imperative!

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010
          Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > The site works for me. If you are in mainland China, maybe
          > the site is blocked by your government? (though I can't
          > imagine what would be "subversive" on that site)

          To the OP: Wikia is blocked in China (I don't know why). An old
          version of vim.wikia.com is available at a mirror site set up in
          response. The site is not maintained (I think) and is somewhat
          broken because various templates and so forth were not imported
          properly, however the content of most tips is available.

          The tip in question is:
          http://broom9.com/Vim_Tips_Wiki/index.php?title=Working_with_Unicode

          John

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010
            On 09/03/10 10:17, John Beckett wrote:
            > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >> The site works for me. If you are in mainland China, maybe
            >> the site is blocked by your government? (though I can't
            >> imagine what would be "subversive" on that site)
            >
            > To the OP: Wikia is blocked in China (I don't know why). An old
            > version of vim.wikia.com is available at a mirror site set up in
            > response. The site is not maintained (I think) and is somewhat
            > broken because various templates and so forth were not imported
            > properly, however the content of most tips is available.
            >
            > The tip in question is:
            > http://broom9.com/Vim_Tips_Wiki/index.php?title=Working_with_Unicode
            >
            > John

            曹贵林: I'm not sure you follow vim_multibyte (though for this kind of
            discussion, you should).

            If it's the whole of wikia, then I suppose some Chinese official
            disliked something that was published on some /other/ wikia site, and
            that they blocked the whole of wikia without checking the fine points.

            "I played lead guitar in a band called The Federal Duck, which is the
            kind of name that was popular in the '60s as a result of controlled
            substances being in widespread use. Back then, there were no
            restrictions, in terms of talent, on who could make an album, so we
            made one, and it sounds like a group of people who have been given
            powerful but unfamiliar instruments as a therapy for a degenerative
            nerve disease."
            -- Dave Barry, "The Snake"