Re: Support Global IME 2

  • Greg Matheson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17 5:03 AM
      On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 06:34:28PM +0900, Taro Muraoka wrote:

      > I re-made a experimental patch for supporting Global IME on Vim
      > for Windows. You can get compiled binary here. If you want to
      > test Global IME instantly, please download this.

      > - Compiled binary for test (non-compressed)
      > http://ixeris.bios.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/~koron/software/vim/gvim_gime.exe

      I use vim quite a lot on Unix for setting up configuration files
      for the software I use and for writing emails, etc in English. I
      would like to be able to use it on Windows for writing in
      Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

      I downloaded the executable and the Microsoft IME Korean and
      Japanese software and tried running it on (Traditional) Chinese
      Windows 98. I tried typing in some Korean hangul in insert mode
      and in command-line mode. I can input hangul and it appears in
      the Global IME block cursor used to show characters being
      composed. However, the hangul characters do not appear in the
      vim screen as Hangul, but rather as Chinese characters or what I
      assume is ISO-8901, or whatever it is called, depending on
      whether the cursor is passing over them or not.

      I had similar problems with not being able to see the hangul
      after I moved the cursor over it or unless I refreshed the screen
      with <ctrl-l> a couple of years ago, when I was using vim-5.3 on
      a Korean Windows 95 machine, so I am wondering if this is a
      limitation in vim, rather than the interface with IME. Should I
      be able to see the hangul in vim?

      Incidentally, when I tried the Korean IME with Outlook Express on
      Chinese Windows 98, the hangul does appear in the Outlook Express
      message text input area.

      I will try with the Japanese IME and report on that later.

      --
      Greg Matheson No language feature can be explained
      Chinmin College, Taiwan well until most of the language