Re: The 'keymap' and 'iminsert' saga (cont.)

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2009
      On 13/04/09 21:50, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      >> gvim 7.2.148 (Huge)
      >>
      >> When splitting a window using ":new" or ":new filename" from a window
      >> for which a keymap is defined, the 'iminsert' status is cloned but the
      >> 'keymap' isn't. This looks inconsistent to me. I'm not sure whether
      >> these options ought to be cloned or not, but I feel pretty certain that
      >> it ought to be both or neither - not just one without the other.
      >>
      >> Opinions?
      >
      > I assume you have set 'keymap' with ":setlocal". Then the global value
      > will be used for ":new". The same happens for 'iminsert'. Perhaps you
      > have somehow a global value of 'iminsert'? I can't reproduce the effect
      > you describe except when using ":setlocal keymap=name".

      Ah, thanks for the clarification. Yes, I set 'keymap' locally, since I
      have a number of files loaded in split-windows, and only one of them
      uses a non-Latin script. As for 'iminsert', I'm less sure, since here
      are the mappings by means of which I toggle it:

      :noremap <F8> :let &l:imi = !&l:imi<CR>
      :noremap! <F8> <C-^>

      (I use F8 because I'm not sure there's a Ctrl-^ on my AZERTY keyboard.)

      If the Ctrl-^ key toggles the global value in Insert mode, then that's
      the culprit. Maybe it too, ought to act only locally. But for the
      moment, I'll copy my map to a map! but with a Ctrl-O in front of it.

      It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a
      statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more
      glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through
      which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the
      day, that is the highest of arts.
      -- Henry David Thoreau, "Where I Live"