Re: Suggestion: Redefine \Uxxxxx in double-quoted strings

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2009
      On 06/04/09 22:18, Kenneth Reid Beesley wrote:

      > On 6 Apr 2009, at 12:22, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >

      >> Vim is now capable of displaying any Unicode codepoint for which the
      >> installed 'guifont' has a glyph, even outside the BMP (i.e., even
      >> above
      >> U+FFFF),
      >
      > Tony,
      >
      > Good news.
      >
      > Many may not know that MacVim has been doing this rather well for
      > quite a while.
      > I routinely edit texts in Deseret Alphabet and Shaw (Shavian)
      > Alphabet, which lie in the
      > supplementary area.
      [...]

      It's actually patch 7.1.116 (30-Nov-2007). So no news-breaking scoop
      anymore, but as long as Vim's support of Unicode outside the BMP was
      less than optimal, the problem I'm raising in this thread might have
      made itself felt less acutely.

      Joe's sister puts spaghetti in her shoes!

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2009
        On 06/04/09 22:18, Kenneth Reid Beesley wrote:
        [...]
        > In MacVim, at least, supplementary code point values can appear
        > usefully in<Char-> in keymap files.
        > Entries like the following appear in my deseret-sampa_utf-8.vim keymap
        > file. It all works great.
        [...]

        In keymap files, it seems to work on Linux too (I use it in my owncoded
        "phonetic" keymaps for Arabic and Russian); but I was talking of
        double-quoted strings.

        These Arabic and Russian keymaps aren't above U+FFFF but anywhere above
        0x7F the <Char- > notation gives me problems inside double-quoted
        strings. I believe this is related to the documented fact that "\xnn"
        doesn't give valid UTF-8 values above 0x7F -- use "\u00nn" instead.

        If God is perfect, why did He create discontinuous functions?

      • John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2009
          Re: Suggestion: Redefine \Uxxxxx in double-quoted strings Hi Tony,

          > I don't see a convenient alternative though.  Anyone?

          /Uxxxx
          /uxxxx
          /U{x}
          /U{xx}