Support Global IME 2

  • Taro Muraoka
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2000
      Hello.

      I re-made a experimental patch for supporting Global IME on Vim for Windows.
      You can get compiled binary here. If you want to test Global IME instantly,
      please download this.

      - Compiled binary for test (non-compressed)
      http://ixeris.bios.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/~koron/software/vim/gvim_gime.exe
      - Compiled binary for test (compressed)
      http://ixeris.bios.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/~koron/software/vim/gvim_gime.exe.bz2

      I made this patch from 5.6.72 source. Size of non-compressed this patch
      is larger than 40K byte. I cannot send with this mail. Hence I place
      patch here.

      - Global IME patch web site copy
      http://ixeris.bios.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/~koron/software/vim/global_ime.diff

      WHAT'S NEW?

      - Font of IME COMPOSITION window is now affected by "gfn".
      - Control IME status is available.
      IME status was saved and force turned off when exiting insert mode.
      And re-enter insertmode makes IME status revert to saved one.

      WHAT IS GLOBAL IME

      Global IME makes capability to input Chinese, Japanese, and Korean text
      into Vim buffer on any language version of Windows 98, Windows 95, and
      Windows NT 4.0. Please see below URL for detail of Global IME. You can
      also find various language version of Global IME at same place.

      - Global IME detailed information.
      http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/features/ime.asp

      - Active Input Method Manager (Global IME)
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/misc/AIMM/aimm.asp

      HOW TO COMPILE

      Apply Global IME patch which downloaded from above URL. Now you can
      compile Vim with Global IME. Example:

      nmake -f Makefile.w32 GUI=yes GIME=yes

      In the patch, there is one of new files "dimm.idl". This file is
      distributed by MSDN (Microsoft). I did not modify this file, but you
      can get original at below URL.

      - Where you can probably get "dimm.idl".
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/samples/internet/libraries/ie5_lib/sample.asp

      I have developed and tested on thus environments.
      - Windows 98 (Japanese version)
      - Internet Exproler 5.01
      - Global IME 5.01 for Chinese (Simplified) - with Language pack
      - :set fe=prc gfn=MS_Song:h12

      I welcome any questions or comments. Thanks.
      ----
      Taro Muraoka <koron@...>
    • Greg Matheson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2000
        On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 06:34:28PM +0900, Taro Muraoka wrote:

        > I re-made a experimental patch for supporting Global IME on Vim
        > for Windows. You can get compiled binary here. If you want to
        > test Global IME instantly, please download this.

        > - Compiled binary for test (non-compressed)
        > http://ixeris.bios.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/~koron/software/vim/gvim_gime.exe

        I use vim quite a lot on Unix for setting up configuration files
        for the software I use and for writing emails, etc in English. I
        would like to be able to use it on Windows for writing in
        Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

        I downloaded the executable and the Microsoft IME Korean and
        Japanese software and tried running it on (Traditional) Chinese
        Windows 98. I tried typing in some Korean hangul in insert mode
        and in command-line mode. I can input hangul and it appears in
        the Global IME block cursor used to show characters being
        composed. However, the hangul characters do not appear in the
        vim screen as Hangul, but rather as Chinese characters or what I
        assume is ISO-8901, or whatever it is called, depending on
        whether the cursor is passing over them or not.

        I had similar problems with not being able to see the hangul
        after I moved the cursor over it or unless I refreshed the screen
        with <ctrl-l> a couple of years ago, when I was using vim-5.3 on
        a Korean Windows 95 machine, so I am wondering if this is a
        limitation in vim, rather than the interface with IME. Should I
        be able to see the hangul in vim?

        Incidentally, when I tried the Korean IME with Outlook Express on
        Chinese Windows 98, the hangul does appear in the Outlook Express
        message text input area.

        I will try with the Japanese IME and report on that later.

        --
        Greg Matheson No language feature can be explained
        Chinmin College, Taiwan well until most of the language