Re: Unable to display Hebrew correctly on Mac OS/X

  • björn
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
      Hi Ron,

      2009/3/24 Ron Aaron:

      > Again: I am using GUI vim, not Console vim.  The 'termbidi' option
      > doesn't apply.
      >
      > The problem seems to be related to the ATSUI renderer, at least there
      > are some hints in 'gui_mac.c' that indicate this might be true.  It
      > may be a good thing to set "kATSULineDirectionTag" so the drawing
      > occurs correctly, but I don't know enough about Mac GUI to know what
      > to do exactly.
      >
      > If noone else chimes in with helpful information, I'll try to fix it
      > myself.

      You are not telling us which version of Vim you are using but by the
      sounds of it you are using the outdated Carbon port. There is a newer
      port called "MacVim" which can be downloaded here:

      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

      I have also CCed this post to the vim_mac mailing list which is a more
      appropriate list for Mac specific problems.

      Please let me know how MacVim copes with your situation: if it doesn't
      work I'll look into it as soon as I get a chance.

      Björn

    • Ron Aaron
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
        Hi, Björn -

        I'm using the latest vim - 7.2.148, with some additional patches of my
        own. Is the "MacVim" base totally separate from the main vim?

        I'll try the MacVim port and see how it fares, thanks.
        Ron

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
          On 24/03/09 13:17, Ron Aaron wrote:

          > Hi, Björn -
          >
          > I'm using the latest vim - 7.2.148, with some additional patches of my
          > own. Is the "MacVim" base totally separate from the main vim?

          IIUC, the MacVim base is basically the main Vim base, with some
          Mac-specific patches which never made it into Bram's sources. However
          some of the Mac people might expain it better than I can.

          Q: How many heterosexual males does it take to screw in a light bulb
          in San Francisco?
          A: Both of them.

        • björn
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
            2009/3/24 Tony Mechelynck:

            > On 24/03/09 13:17, Ron Aaron wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi, Björn -
            >>
            >> I'm using the latest vim - 7.2.148, with some additional patches of my
            >> own.  Is the "MacVim" base totally separate from the main vim?
            >
            > IIUC, the MacVim base is basically the main Vim base, with some
            > Mac-specific patches which never made it into Bram's sources. However
            > some of the Mac people might expain it better than I can.

            Yes, MacVim works just like any other GUI port in that it hooks into
            the various gui_mch_*() calls. The big difference is that MacVim
            spawns one Vim process for each GUI-window and uses another process
            (MacVim) to coordinate everything in order to be able to support
            multiple GUI-windows. More details concerning the source code can be
            found in src/MacVim/README. Note that there are some modifications to
            the Vim codebase in the MacVim repo but these are intentionally few --
            the bulk of the MacVim specific code resides in src/MacVim.

            Björn