Re: Unable to display Hebrew correctly on Mac OS/X

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
      On Mar 24, 1:44 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
      wrote:
      > Vim doesn't display true-bidi. With a "normal" (non-bidi) terminal, or
      > in the GUI, you'll see the contents of each window displayed either all
      > RTL or all LTR depending on the setting of the window-local 'rightleft'
      > setting. This means that in mixed text you'll either see Latin script
      > the right way and Hebrew script reversed, or the opposite -- your
      > choice, and you can even have two windows with opposite directionality
      > on a single file. I thought you knew all this.

      Em, yes, I'm well aware of all this, I've been using vim with bidi
      text for many years now.

      Again: I am using GUI vim, not Console vim. The 'termbidi' option
      doesn't apply.

      The problem seems to be related to the ATSUI renderer, at least there
      are some hints in 'gui_mac.c' that indicate this might be true. It
      may be a good thing to set "kATSULineDirectionTag" so the drawing
      occurs correctly, but I don't know enough about Mac GUI to know what
      to do exactly.

      If noone else chimes in with helpful information, I'll try to fix it
      myself.

      > If you are using Console Vim in a true-bidi terminal, you should ":set
      > norightleft termbidi" to tell Vim that the terminal is in charge of
      > bidirectionality. Or at least when editing Arabic; I'm not sure how this
      > option applies to Hebrew. I'm also not sure how the display of the text
      > cursor is affected by this option.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Tony.
      > --
      > "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?"
      >                 -- Bertold Brecht
    • björn
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
        Hi Ron,

        2009/3/24 Ron Aaron:

        > Again: I am using GUI vim, not Console vim.  The 'termbidi' option
        > doesn't apply.
        >
        > The problem seems to be related to the ATSUI renderer, at least there
        > are some hints in 'gui_mac.c' that indicate this might be true.  It
        > may be a good thing to set "kATSULineDirectionTag" so the drawing
        > occurs correctly, but I don't know enough about Mac GUI to know what
        > to do exactly.
        >
        > If noone else chimes in with helpful information, I'll try to fix it
        > myself.

        You are not telling us which version of Vim you are using but by the
        sounds of it you are using the outdated Carbon port. There is a newer
        port called "MacVim" which can be downloaded here:

        http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

        I have also CCed this post to the vim_mac mailing list which is a more
        appropriate list for Mac specific problems.

        Please let me know how MacVim copes with your situation: if it doesn't
        work I'll look into it as soon as I get a chance.

        Björn

      • Ron Aaron
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
          Hi, Björn -

          I'm using the latest vim - 7.2.148, with some additional patches of my
          own. Is the "MacVim" base totally separate from the main vim?

          I'll try the MacVim port and see how it fares, thanks.
          Ron

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
            On 24/03/09 13:17, Ron Aaron wrote:

            > Hi, Björn -
            >
            > I'm using the latest vim - 7.2.148, with some additional patches of my
            > own. Is the "MacVim" base totally separate from the main vim?

            IIUC, the MacVim base is basically the main Vim base, with some
            Mac-specific patches which never made it into Bram's sources. However
            some of the Mac people might expain it better than I can.

            Q: How many heterosexual males does it take to screw in a light bulb
            in San Francisco?
            A: Both of them.

          • björn
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
              2009/3/24 Tony Mechelynck:

              > On 24/03/09 13:17, Ron Aaron wrote:
              >>
              >> Hi, Björn -
              >>
              >> I'm using the latest vim - 7.2.148, with some additional patches of my
              >> own.  Is the "MacVim" base totally separate from the main vim?
              >
              > IIUC, the MacVim base is basically the main Vim base, with some
              > Mac-specific patches which never made it into Bram's sources. However
              > some of the Mac people might expain it better than I can.

              Yes, MacVim works just like any other GUI port in that it hooks into
              the various gui_mch_*() calls. The big difference is that MacVim
              spawns one Vim process for each GUI-window and uses another process
              (MacVim) to coordinate everything in order to be able to support
              multiple GUI-windows. More details concerning the source code can be
              found in src/MacVim/README. Note that there are some modifications to
              the Vim codebase in the MacVim repo but these are intentionally few --
              the bulk of the MacVim specific code resides in src/MacVim.

              Björn