Re: Printing Chinese

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 23, 2008
      On 23/12/08 22:37, Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas wrote:
      > On Tue, Dec 23, at 10:18 Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >> I suppose if you don't try to set all those options, but just use
      >> ":hardcopy", you don't get the expected results?
      >>
      >> Personally I'm on Linux (i.e., on the other side of the fence) but I
      >> haven't found out how to print Unicode from Vim. When I need "special"
      >> characters which aren't in the Latin1 range, I save the file to disk and
      >> print it using my browser.
      >>

      > Hi Tony,
      >
      > Would you mind to test the following function, and see if you get the
      > expected result? You will need paps[1], which should be available from
      > your favorite distribution, if not, it's just a simple (CMMI)* package
      > that requires pango (possible you will need the dev package for pango).
      >

      > function! system#print(...) range
      > let font = (exists("a:1")&& !empty(a:1)) ? "Monospace ".a:1 : "Monospace 14"
      > let printer = split(readfile('/etc/printcap')[-1], "|")[0]
      > execute a:firstline.','.a:lastline.'write ++enc=utf-8 !paps --font='.font.
      > \ '|ps2pdf -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -dOptimize=true -
      > \ | lp -d '.printer.' -'
      > endfunction
      >

      > 1. http://paps.sourceforge.net/
      > * configure, make, make install
      >
      > Regards,
      > Ag.

      Hm, what is the expected result? And no, AFAICT, SuSE doesn't distribute
      paps (at least, searching the 11.1 repositories for it with settings
      "Name" "Summary" and "RPM Provides", "contains", and "not
      case-sensitive" yields no results). As for compiling from source, I'm
      doing it for Vim but that's an exception. Other packages I get
      pre-compiled from SuSE or, in the case of Firefox, Thunderbird,
      SeaMonkey and Sunbird, from Mozilla.

      The rare times that I need non-Latin glyphs (as in a paper recently, in
      French with one four-letter Hebrew word in it), printing with SeaMonkey
      is perfectly acceptable to me anyway, until or unless I can make Vim do
      it without help. It also takes care (as in this case) of RTL words in an
      LTR sentence, which Vim cannot show properly on the screen (and I don't
      know what would happen when printing).

      "For three days after death hair and fingernails continue to grow but
      phone calls taper off."
      -- Johnny Carson

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 23, 2008
        On 24/12/08 01:20, Mansing wrote:
        > Thank Tony for the explanation and confirmation of Unicode printing
        > issue. I was using exacting the same technique (convert txt to html
        > first) to get Chinese print out. But my browser doesn't echo formfeed
        > (ctrl-L) correctly. So my 'hardcopy' (actually a pdf file via
        > cutepdf/ghostscript combo) came out with wrong page breaks. I am now
        > having two options: Correct Chinese but wrong page break (via html), or
        > the other way round (with :hardcopy). Oops, and the third one: Correct
        > Chinese and page bread but no syntax highlighting (via Notepad).
        >
        > Seasons greetings!
        > mt 081224

        Ah, I normally don't use form feeds and let the browser figure where to
        break the pages. One possible way would be to break the file into
        several documents where the pages break. (Since there is no "intrinsic"
        page break within an HTML document, the texts on my website are divided
        into one distinct HTML page per chapter.)

        Yes, and season's greetings for you too, merry Christmas, happy new
        year, or whatever you feast around the December solstice.

        Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon.
        -- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982