VIRUS with Bram as sender

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2008
      I should take a little longer checking, but in view of the potential for
      damage I'm sending a preliminary opinion:

      A message has just been sent to the vim_multibyte list.
      Header includes:

      From: bram@...
      To: vim-multibyte@...
      Subject: Mail Transaction Failed
      Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:12:38 +0200

      Body is:
      The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding
      and has been sent as a binary attachment.

      File attached:
      doc.zip

      Zip contains single file:
      doc.pif
      which is the 'I-Worm/Mytob.AP' virus (for Windows, obviously).

      Moral of story:
      - Anyone can send a mail and spoof the "From" address.
      - We may see a flurry of viruses sent to various lists.
      - Particularly Windows users should STOP AND THINK
      before opening attachments.

      John

    • JohnBeckett
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2008
        Follow up: I just deleted the message from the archive at
        http://groups.google.com/group/vim_multibyte

        John

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2008
          On 18/12/08 11:26, John Beckett wrote:
          > I should take a little longer checking, but in view of the potential for
          > damage I'm sending a preliminary opinion:
          >
          > A message has just been sent to the vim_multibyte list.
          > Header includes:
          >
          > From: bram@...
          > To: vim-multibyte@...
          > Subject: Mail Transaction Failed
          > Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:12:38 +0200
          >
          > Body is:
          > The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding
          > and has been sent as a binary attachment.
          >
          > File attached:
          > doc.zip
          >
          > Zip contains single file:
          > doc.pif
          > which is the 'I-Worm/Mytob.AP' virus (for Windows, obviously).
          >
          > Moral of story:
          > - Anyone can send a mail and spoof the "From" address.
          > - We may see a flurry of viruses sent to various lists.
          > - Particularly Windows users should STOP AND THINK
          > before opening attachments.
          >
          > John

          Note that unlike Bram's usual mailings, this one has a naked email
          address as the from-line. I moved it aside to a "Spam - or not?" mailbox
          "folder" without opening.

          The fact that I'm on Linux makes me immune to some common viruses, but
          the first step in protection against malware is to avoid opening just
          any "unusual" mail. This applies to all platforms whatsoever.

          "Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it."
          -- Alex Schure

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 18, 2008
            On 18/12/08 17:22, Christian MICHON wrote:
            [...]
            > Bram's funny signatures is not in the email: it's not from him.

            Right.

            > Side note: windows users should compile their own binaries :)

            Not necessarily: Steve Hall's Vim distributions
            https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
            are a reliable source of Vim executables for Windows. It is of course
            /possible/ to compile one's own binaries (I've even written a couple of
            HowTo pages on the subject).

            All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
            -- The Book of Bokonon / Kurt Vonnegut Jr.