Re: .swp file left behind on Windows

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
      On 08/12/08 19:41, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Robert Premu wrote:
      >
      >> On vim/gvim 7.1 and 7.2 for MS Windows I noticed that there are
      >> problems with editing files when the file path contains non-ASCII
      >> characters and you change the encoding with ":set encoding" command.
      >
      > That is to be expected. When you change 'encoding' all text currently
      > in memory that contains non-ASCII characters may become invalid. That
      > includes file names.
      >
      >> Here is a file created on a Ubuntu 8.04 system that uses the UTF-8
      >> encoding, which is not default on MS Windows, and hence I put the
      >> encoding=utf-8 command in the modeline so that I can edit it also on
      >> Windows:
      >
      > That's the wrong way of doing things. Never change 'encoding' from a
      > modeline! Perhaps this should be disabled. I can't think of any
      > possible way it would be useful.

      >> This is a test file.
      >> Robert Premuž
      >> vim:columns=80:tw=80:encoding=utf-8
      >>
      >> If the file path contains only ASCII characters, e.g. "c:\temp\test",
      >> on an NTFS partition of a MS Windows system everything works fine
      >> while editing the file.
      >>
      >> But if the file name (or path) is changed so that it contains
      >> non-ASCII characters, e.g. "c:\test\test-ž", after editing the file
      >> the .test-ž.swp file is left behind (even if the file was not modified
      >> at all).
      >>
      >> This problem disappears if the encoding=utf-8 is removed from the
      >> modeline but then non-ASCII characters are not displayed correctly as
      >> vim uses the default system encoding, which is not utf-8.
      >>
      >> On Windows I also noticed that if the file path contains non-ASCII
      >> characters and you change the file encoding with ":set encoding" vim
      >> also changes the encoding of the file path (displayed on the window
      >> title bar in gvim)! It seems that this is the cause of the .swp file
      >> left behind. On Ubuntu I don't notice such problem.
      >>
      >> This was tested on MS Windows XP Pro. SP3 and
      >> MS Windows Server 2003 SP2.
      >>
      >> Please confirm this problem. Is it a known issue?
      >> I also send this to bugs@....
      >
      > The solution is to set 'encoding' before editing any file. Best is to
      > do this near the top of your vimrc file.
      >
      > It's very difficult to go through all stored text and convert everything
      > the moment you change 'encoding'. I have done it for the command line
      > arguments, since that is something you can't avoid. For some text it's
      > actually better not to do the conversion, because it was invalid before
      > switching 'encoding'.

      Yes, and at http://vim.wikia.org/Working_with_Unicode you'll find a tip
      which I put together when I was still on Windows (Win98 I think), and
      the current version was maybe Vim 6.1 or thereabouts.

      It includes an explanation in plain English of what the various
      '*encoding*' options are for, and a code snippet which can be copied to
      your vimrc in order to set your Vim to UTF-8 and have everything still
      work (including, if you have them, accented characters and dead keys on
      your "national" keyboard). I'm still using that same code with very few
      changes.

      Yes, but which self do you want to be?

    • Mansing
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 8, 2008
        Rats! I tag the following mode line to all of my Chinese text files, to
        mark their encoding and font set etc.:

        <!-- vim: set fo+=mM gfn=MingLiU\:h12 enc=utf-8: -->

        I do that to avoid the ugly Latin in CJK font sets (for normal English
        text files) and to avoid the use of a BOM. I am running Windows (Vista).

        mt 081209

        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > . . .
        > That's the wrong way of doing things. Never change 'encoding' from a
        > modeline! Perhaps this should be disabled. I can't think of any
        > possible way it would be useful.
        >
        > . . .

      • rpr
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
          On Dec 8, 7:41 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:

          > > Here is a file created on a Ubuntu 8.04 system that uses the UTF-8
          > > encoding, which is not default on MS Windows, and hence I put the
          > > encoding=utf-8 command in the modeline so that I can edit it also on
          > > Windows:
          >
          > That's the wrong way of doing things.  Never change 'encoding' from a
          > modeline!  Perhaps this should be disabled.  I can't think of any
          > possible way it would be useful.

          So, what is the right way to write text files with utf-8 encoding so
          that they may be automatically editable on a "multi-byte" enabled
          system which do not use the utf-8 encoding by default?

          In the header of HTML files the following tag may be used:
          <META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT="text/html; charset=utf-8">

          This instructs a web browser or a HTML editor about the encoding of
          the text in the HTML file so that it may be displayed and edited
          regardless of the local system encoding default.

          I'd like to achieve the same in vim for any text file: to put a
          command in the modeline so that vim, while opening the file, is able
          to recognize the character encoding used in the file and also to edit
          such text and save it in the same encoding. Is this possible in vim?

          -- rpr.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
            On 09/12/08 10:54, rpr wrote:
            > On Dec 8, 7:41 pm, Bram Moolenaar<B...@...> wrote:
            [...]
            >> That's the wrong way of doing things. Never change 'encoding' from a
            >> modeline! Perhaps this should be disabled. I can't think of any
            >> possible way it would be useful.
            >
            > So, what is the right way to write text files with utf-8 encoding so
            > that they may be automatically editable on a "multi-byte" enabled
            > system which do not use the utf-8 encoding by default?
            [...]

            There isn't. If you know that you will (even only occasionally) be
            editing files which can contain any Unicode codepoints, you should start
            Vim in UTF-8 even if that isn't your OS-default locale. With a Vim
            running with 'encoding' set to UTF-8 you can edit files in any
            encodings. Some of them will be recognized automatically by virtue of
            your 'fileencodings' (plural) option; for others you may have to use the
            ++enc argument of the ":edit" (or ":new", ":view", :sview", etc.)
            command, see ":help ++opt".

            Tertullian was born in Carthage somewhere about 160 A.D. He was a
            pagan, and he abandoned himself to the lascivious life of his city
            until about his 35th year, when he became a Christian .... To him is
            ascribed the sublime confession: Credo quia absurdum est (I believe
            because it is absurd). This does not altogether accord with historical
            fact, for he merely said:

            "And the Son of God died, which is immediately credible because
            it is absurd. And buried he rose again, which is certain
            because it is impossible."

            Thanks to the acuteness of his mind, he saw through the poverty of
            philosophical and Gnostic knowledge, and contemptuously rejected it.
            -- C. G. Jung, in Psychological Types

            (Tertullian was one of the founders of the Catholic Church).

          • Patrick Texier
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
              Le Tue, 9 Dec 2008 01:54:28 -0800 (PST), rpr a écrit dans le message
              <aedde531-f6af-4b0d-a156-8d214f0704df@...> :

              > I'd like to achieve the same in vim for any text file: to put a
              > command in the modeline so that vim, while opening the file, is able
              > to recognize the character encoding used in the file and also to edit
              > such text and save it in the same encoding. Is this possible in vim?

              File encoding is set with 'fileencoding' option, not 'encoding'. You can
              add a 'fenc' in a modeline but it's usefull only in rare cases (Latin9
              vs Latin1). With set fileencodings = ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1 (default value
              with Unicode) Vim will detect file encoding.

              You can read User Manual :help 45.3 for a good introduction.
              --
              Patrick Texier

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                On 09/12/08 18:39, Patrick Texier wrote:
                > Le Tue, 9 Dec 2008 01:54:28 -0800 (PST), rpr a écrit dans le message
                > <aedde531-f6af-4b0d-a156-8d214f0704df@...> :
                >
                >> I'd like to achieve the same in vim for any text file: to put a
                >> command in the modeline so that vim, while opening the file, is able
                >> to recognize the character encoding used in the file and also to edit
                >> such text and save it in the same encoding. Is this possible in vim?
                >
                > File encoding is set with 'fileencoding' option, not 'encoding'. You can
                > add a 'fenc' in a modeline but it's usefull only in rare cases (Latin9
                > vs Latin1). With set fileencodings = ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1 (default value
                > with Unicode) Vim will detect file encoding.

                ...and if it detects the wrong value (let's say Vim detects latin1 on an
                iso-8859-2 file) you can reload the file with an override, as in

                :e ++enc=iso-8859-2

                See also ":help ++opt".

                > You can read User Manual :help 45.3 for a good introduction.

                also the Vim Tip about Unicode, mentioned earlier in this thread.

                LAUNCELOT: At last! A call! A cry of distress ...
                (he draws his sword, and turns to CONCORDE)
                Concorde! Brave, Concorde ... you shall not have died in vain!
                CONCORDE: I'm not quite dead, sir ...
                PICTURES LTD

              • Mansing
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                  I tried changing "enc=" to "fenc=" in my mode line:

                  <!-- vim: set fo+=mM gfn=MingLiU\:h12 fenc=utf-8: -->

                  but my Chinese text doesn't show up correctly (as if this option were
                  omitted). I tried (after reading help 45.3 on ":edit ++enc=...") also
                  "++enc=" and "\+\+enc=", but Vim says this is not a known option (for
                  the mode line). Seems "enc=" is the only way that I can use to
                  (automatically) tell Vim about my file encoding.

                  Note that I am not complaining any problem: I am happy with "enc=" in my
                  mode line as it works well with all context encodings I happened to use
                  --Big5, GB2312, utf-8 etc. I am just perplexed to hear that this is the
                  wrong way?

                  mt 081210

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                    On 10/12/08 01:46, Mansing wrote:
                    > I tried changing "enc=" to "fenc=" in my mode line:
                    >
                    > <!-- vim: set fo+=mM gfn=MingLiU\:h12 fenc=utf-8: -->
                    >
                    > but my Chinese text doesn't show up correctly (as if this option were
                    > omitted). I tried (after reading help 45.3 on ":edit ++enc=...") also
                    > "++enc=" and "\+\+enc=", but Vim says this is not a known option (for
                    > the mode line). Seems "enc=" is the only way that I can use to
                    > (automatically) tell Vim about my file encoding.

                    :edit ++enc=utf-8 filename.ext

                    not on the modeline but as an ex-command. You need a Vim version with
                    +multi_byte compiled-in and your 'encoding' MUST already be set
                    (preferably somewhere near the top of your vimrc) to utf-8.

                    If you have 'enc' set to utf-8 and 'fencs' starting with ucs-bom,utf-8
                    (which is the default once you set 'enc' to utf-8), UTF-8 files ought to
                    be correctly recognized without the need for anything special on either
                    a modeline or the ":edit" ex-command.

                    You can NEVER edit correctly a file which contains characters which your
                    current 'encoding' setting cannot represent. For instance, with
                    'encoding' set to Latin1 you cannot edit Chinese text because there are
                    no Chginese glyphs in Latin1.

                    > Note that I am not complaining any problem: I am happy with "enc=" in my
                    > mode line as it works well with all context encodings I happened to use
                    > --Big5, GB2312, utf-8 etc. I am just perplexed to hear that this is the
                    > wrong way?
                    >
                    > mt 081210

                    'ecoding' affects the representation of data for ALL files in Vim
                    memory. If 'encoding' was previously set to GBK, and you have a GBK file
                    in another split-window, or even in a hidden buffer, opening a file
                    whose modeline sets 'encoding' to UTF-8 will make Vim regard ALL text in
                    ALL files as UTF-8 text, but the internal data in buffers already in
                    memory will NOT be changed, so the other file will still contain GBK
                    data, which Vim will now try to interpret as UTF-8 data, with
                    catastrophic results (you'll get a lot of "invalid" UTF-8 characters,
                    and probably none of the Chinese text in the GBK file will be recognizable).

                    OTOH, if 'encoding' is set to UTF-8, typing ":e ++enc=gbk gbkfile.txt"
                    will correctly edit the file gbkfile.txt if it uses GBK charset. Vim
                    (with +multi_byte and +iconv compiled-in) will be happy to convert the
                    file's data, GBK => UTF-8 when reading and UTF-8 => GBK when writing --
                    provided, of course, that you don't insert any hanzi which has no GBK
                    representation.

                    The only time when it is "safe" to change 'encoding' is when there are
                    no nonempty buffers loaded into Vim. Your vimrc (which is sourced before
                    actually loading any buffers) is one such "safe place". I recommend
                    (whenever you run a Vim version with +multi_byte compiled-in) to set
                    'encoding' to UTF-8 in your vimrc (after saving the previous 'encoding'
                    value in 'termencoding' if the latter was empty), and never to change
                    'encoding' later on.

                    The new Congressmen say they're going to turn the government around. I
                    hope I don't get run over again.