Re: Pan-unicode font for gvim on windows?

  • Mansing
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
      Don't waste time trying MingLiU... I just find out that the NSimSun which zod mentioned has better looking Latin scripts.  That is, the MingLiU which I think decent is uglier than NSimSun which zod considered ugliest :-(

      Mansing wrote:
      I use MingLiU which displays both traditional and simplified Chinese, as
      well as Latin alphabets.  The Latin display is not the prettiest but
      decent :-)

      zod wrote:

      I'd like to use a unicode font that includes both simplified Chinese
      and latin. The only font that I have found that does this in gvim on
      Windows is NSimSun. And that has the ugliest latin of all time.  So
      what are the other fonts that will display both in gvim?

      . . .

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
        On 13/11/08 07:11, zod wrote:
        > I'd like to use a unicode font that includes both simplified Chinese
        > and latin. The only font that I have found that does this in gvim on
        > Windows is NSimSun. And that has the ugliest latin of all time. So
        > what are the other fonts that will display both in gvim?
        >
        > It is my understanding that gvim only uses fixed-width fonts. I have
        > tried Andale Mono and it would not display chinese chars in gvim (only
        > those damn rectangles) -- even though Andale Mono does display Chinese
        > chars in other apps like photoshop. No idea why that didn't work.
        >
        > Anyway, right now whenever I want to mix Chinese and latin, I have to
        > switch the font like so:
        >
        > "Change fonts for chinese
        > map<F12>c :set guifont=NSimSun<CR>
        > map!<F12>c<C-O>:set guifont=NSimSun<CR>
        >
        > So can someone give me a list of other fonts that display both chinese
        > and latin in gvim other than NSimSun? Or is there another way to go
        > about this? Can you mix fonts in the same buffer in gvim somehow?
        >
        > Thanks

        Ifound once a font which had glyphs for all Unicode codepoints (in the
        BMP, U+0020 to U+FFFD, which admittedly is not _all_ Unicode) but it was
        ugly (I don't remember its name). I've gone back to looking for fonts
        according to what I'm displaying: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono for
        alphabetic scripts, fallback on Courier New for abjads not correctly
        displayed in Bitstream Vera, some CJK font for East-Asian scripts, etc.

        With my current GTK2 GUI (where 'guifontset' is unknown and I leave
        'guifontwide' empty), when a glyph isn't found, gvim will try to find a
        glyph for the same codepoint in another font of the same size. This
        sometimes leads to weird-looking glyphs (sans-serif glyphs used to
        complete a serif font, a single bold glyph in a line of thin ones...)
        but since it is done glyph-by-glyph, I less often have to look far and
        wide for a font containing glyphs for everything in my editfile.

        Nevertheless, when I edit my homepage
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/ where there are Latin,
        Cyrillic, Arabic, hanzi/kanji glyphs and even one hiragana all on the
        same page, I still change guifonts according to which part of the text I
        am editing at any given time.

        43rd Law of Computing:
        Anything that can go wr
        fortune: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped

      • zod
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2008
          For the record, these are the fonts that I have found that correctly
          display both simplified Chinese and latin script in gvim:

          NSimSun (latin looks awful)
          MingLiU (latin looks awful)
          LiSu (a big improvement)
          SimSun - Founder Extended (the spacing in latin is a little odd)
          YouYuan (probably the best latin)
          GulimChe (decent)
          GungShuChe (ok, not great)
          BatangChe (not so good)

          LiSu and YouYuan are the winners. They have much more readable latin
          scripts than NSimSun or MingLiU. You can find all of those fonts on
          the internets tubes (eMule, etc).

        • George V. Reilly
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2008
            2008/11/14 zod <zodjones@...>:
            > For the record, these are the fonts that I have found that correctly
            > display both simplified Chinese and latin script in gvim:
            >
            > NSimSun (latin looks awful)
            > MingLiU (latin looks awful)
            > LiSu (a big improvement)
            > SimSun - Founder Extended (the spacing in latin is a little odd)
            > YouYuan (probably the best latin)
            > GulimChe (decent)
            > GungShuChe (ok, not great)
            > BatangChe (not so good)
            >
            > LiSu and YouYuan are the winners. They have much more readable latin
            > scripts than NSimSun or MingLiU. You can find all of those fonts on
            > the internets tubes (eMule, etc).

            I was going to suggest Deja Vu Sans Mono because I thought it covered
            all of Unicode, but I just learned that it doesn't cover Chinese:
            http://dejavu.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dejavu/trunk/dejavu-fonts/langcover.txt

            Does Consolas have the range you want? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolas
            --
            /George V. Reilly george@...