Pan-unicode font for gvim on windows?

  • zod
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
      I'd like to use a unicode font that includes both simplified Chinese
      and latin. The only font that I have found that does this in gvim on
      Windows is NSimSun. And that has the ugliest latin of all time. So
      what are the other fonts that will display both in gvim?

      It is my understanding that gvim only uses fixed-width fonts. I have
      tried Andale Mono and it would not display chinese chars in gvim (only
      those damn rectangles) -- even though Andale Mono does display Chinese
      chars in other apps like photoshop. No idea why that didn't work.

      Anyway, right now whenever I want to mix Chinese and latin, I have to
      switch the font like so:

      "Change fonts for chinese
      map <F12>c :set guifont=NSimSun<CR>
      map! <F12>c <C-O>:set guifont=NSimSun<CR>

      So can someone give me a list of other fonts that display both chinese
      and latin in gvim other than NSimSun? Or is there another way to go
      about this? Can you mix fonts in the same buffer in gvim somehow?

      Thanks

    • Mansing
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
        I use MingLiU which displays both traditional and simplified Chinese, as
        well as Latin alphabets. The Latin display is not the prettiest but
        decent :-)

        zod wrote:
        > I'd like to use a unicode font that includes both simplified Chinese
        > and latin. The only font that I have found that does this in gvim on
        > Windows is NSimSun. And that has the ugliest latin of all time. So
        > what are the other fonts that will display both in gvim?
        >
        > . . .

      • Mansing

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
            On 13/11/08 07:11, zod wrote:
            > I'd like to use a unicode font that includes both simplified Chinese
            > and latin. The only font that I have found that does this in gvim on
            > Windows is NSimSun. And that has the ugliest latin of all time. So
            > what are the other fonts that will display both in gvim?
            >
            > It is my understanding that gvim only uses fixed-width fonts. I have
            > tried Andale Mono and it would not display chinese chars in gvim (only
            > those damn rectangles) -- even though Andale Mono does display Chinese
            > chars in other apps like photoshop. No idea why that didn't work.
            >
            > Anyway, right now whenever I want to mix Chinese and latin, I have to
            > switch the font like so:
            >
            > "Change fonts for chinese
            > map<F12>c :set guifont=NSimSun<CR>
            > map!<F12>c<C-O>:set guifont=NSimSun<CR>
            >
            > So can someone give me a list of other fonts that display both chinese
            > and latin in gvim other than NSimSun? Or is there another way to go
            > about this? Can you mix fonts in the same buffer in gvim somehow?
            >
            > Thanks

            Ifound once a font which had glyphs for all Unicode codepoints (in the
            BMP, U+0020 to U+FFFD, which admittedly is not _all_ Unicode) but it was
            ugly (I don't remember its name). I've gone back to looking for fonts
            according to what I'm displaying: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono for
            alphabetic scripts, fallback on Courier New for abjads not correctly
            displayed in Bitstream Vera, some CJK font for East-Asian scripts, etc.

            With my current GTK2 GUI (where 'guifontset' is unknown and I leave
            'guifontwide' empty), when a glyph isn't found, gvim will try to find a
            glyph for the same codepoint in another font of the same size. This
            sometimes leads to weird-looking glyphs (sans-serif glyphs used to
            complete a serif font, a single bold glyph in a line of thin ones...)
            but since it is done glyph-by-glyph, I less often have to look far and
            wide for a font containing glyphs for everything in my editfile.

            Nevertheless, when I edit my homepage
            http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/ where there are Latin,
            Cyrillic, Arabic, hanzi/kanji glyphs and even one hiragana all on the
            same page, I still change guifonts according to which part of the text I
            am editing at any given time.

            43rd Law of Computing:
            Anything that can go wr
            fortune: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped

          • zod
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2008
              For the record, these are the fonts that I have found that correctly
              display both simplified Chinese and latin script in gvim:

              NSimSun (latin looks awful)
              MingLiU (latin looks awful)
              LiSu (a big improvement)
              SimSun - Founder Extended (the spacing in latin is a little odd)
              YouYuan (probably the best latin)
              GulimChe (decent)
              GungShuChe (ok, not great)
              BatangChe (not so good)

              LiSu and YouYuan are the winners. They have much more readable latin
              scripts than NSimSun or MingLiU. You can find all of those fonts on
              the internets tubes (eMule, etc).

            • George V. Reilly
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2008
                2008/11/14 zod <zodjones@...>:
                > For the record, these are the fonts that I have found that correctly
                > display both simplified Chinese and latin script in gvim:
                >
                > NSimSun (latin looks awful)
                > MingLiU (latin looks awful)
                > LiSu (a big improvement)
                > SimSun - Founder Extended (the spacing in latin is a little odd)
                > YouYuan (probably the best latin)
                > GulimChe (decent)
                > GungShuChe (ok, not great)
                > BatangChe (not so good)
                >
                > LiSu and YouYuan are the winners. They have much more readable latin
                > scripts than NSimSun or MingLiU. You can find all of those fonts on
                > the internets tubes (eMule, etc).

                I was going to suggest Deja Vu Sans Mono because I thought it covered
                all of Unicode, but I just learned that it doesn't cover Chinese:
                http://dejavu.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dejavu/trunk/dejavu-fonts/langcover.txt

                Does Consolas have the range you want? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolas
                --
                /George V. Reilly george@...