Re: Real displayed width of a character

  • Mansing
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2008
      Wow!  For ages, I knew not to ask this question.  Now with
      :set ambiwidth=double
      my Chinese /open/ quotation mark ( “ code=0x201c ) is displayed correctly --without colliding with the next character.  Strange that, the /close/ quotation mark ( ” code=0x201d ) has always been displayed well regardless of the ambiwidth setting?!

      mt 081025

      Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      On 24/10/08 16:22, Jehan Pagès wrote:

      Hi all,

      I have a question about "displayed width" (and not encoding length!) of
      a character. How does vim "decide" the width of a character, in term of
      number of columns? . . .

      Jehan

      . . .

      Ambiguous-width characters are treated as fullwidth or halfwidth
      depending on the setting of the global 'ambiwidth' option.

      . . .

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 2008
        On 25/10/08 01:40, Mansing wrote:
        > Wow! For ages, I knew not to ask this question. Now with
        >
        > :set ambiwidth=double
        >
        > my Chinese /open/ quotation mark ( “ code=0x201c ) is displayed
        > correctly --without colliding with the next character. Strange that,
        > the /close/ quotation mark ( ” code=0x201d ) has always been displayed
        > well regardless of the ambiwidth setting?!
        >
        > mt 081025

        Hm. Here these characters are displayed with the same (narrow) glyph as
        a plain double quote in Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, but with FZFangSong
        U+201C is a 66 quote occupying the right half of its wide glyph while
        U+201D is a 99 quote in the left half of _its_ wide glyph (well, maybe I
        should say right-top and left-top quarters), so that with
        ambiwidth=single U+201C is overprinted on the next character while it's
        only the blank right half of U+201D which is overprinted on _its_ follower.

        Meader's Law:
        Whatever happens to you, it will previously have happened to
        everyone you know, only more so.