Re: TextExpander

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
      Hi,

      > I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use the package
      > "TextExpander" (from www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander) in MacVim?

      it looks like MacVim does not implement some stuff TextExpander
      expects to be there. There was a similar problem a while back ( http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/f8b057ec6afe12e7/5516236a1466978b?lnk=gst&q=applescript#5516236a1466978b
      . By the way, why has this patch not been merged?), but the fix
      proposed in that thread does not help here.

      I'll get in touch with the TextPander guys and will try to fix this.

      Nico

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
        Hi,

        >> I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use the package
        >> "TextExpander" (from www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander) in MacVim?
        >
        > it looks like MacVim does not implement some stuff TextExpander
        > expects to be there. There was a similar problem a while back ( http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/f8b057ec6afe12e7/5516236a1466978b?lnk=gst&q=applescript#5516236a1466978b
        > . By the way, why has this patch not been merged?), but the fix
        > proposed in that thread does not help here.

        MacVim _does_ work with TextExpander. It just does not work right
        after entering insert mode. Why?

        TextExpander starts a small background process ('textexpanderd', you
        can find it in Activity Monitor). This process logs all of your
        keypresses. When it sees one of the macros (for example the default
        macro "ttime"), it replaces that macro with its replacement: It
        somehow deletes the macro text, stores the current pasteboard content,
        then puts the replacement text in the pasteboard, activates ⌘V in the
        current application, and restores the old pasteboard content. Nearly
        all of this does work with MacVim.

        However, MacVim uses modes, and you need to press 'i' to enter insert
        mode. So when you enter insert mode and the type 'ttime', TextExpander
        sees 'ittime' (it doesn't know about modes) and thus, the keyword is
        not triggered. It seems it does not work to add 'i' as a delimiter in
        SysPrefs->TextExpander->Preferences.

        What you can do: Put `map <Space> i` in your _vimrc and use Space to
        enter insert mode. Then TextExpander sees a space before your macro,
        but the space is remapped to 'i' for vim. Cons: You have to use Space
        instead of 'i' to enter insert mode, and this doesn't work if you
        enter insert mode through other keys (e.g. 'o', 'O').

        I've cc'd the TextExpander guys, perhaps they have a better suggestion.

        HTH,
        Nico
      • björn
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
          2008/7/8 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

          >> I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use the package
          >> "TextExpander" (from www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander) in MacVim?
          >
          > it looks like MacVim does not implement some stuff TextExpander
          > expects to be there. There was a similar problem a while back ( http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/f8b057ec6afe12e7/5516236a1466978b?lnk=gst&q=applescript#5516236a1466978b
          > . By the way, why has this patch not been merged?), but the fix
          > proposed in that thread does not help here.

          That patch was never merged because it is incomplete. I need to
          figure out a reliable way to replace the current selection with a
          given string (or just insert the string if there is no selection).
          The problem is that it needs to work in all modes and the above patch
          only works in Visual mode (it doesn't even do the right thing in
          Select mode). If somebody could help me with this I could finish the
          patch and merge it.

          Thanks,
          Björn

        • Joseph Retzer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008

            Hi All,
              First, thanks very much Nico for looking into this and providing valuable information. I too wrote the support folks for TextExpander and got this reply:

            "Hi Joe,

            Thanks for the feedback. I don't think we'll pursue a MacVIM-specific modification to TextExpander. However, we are considering no longer requiring space, tab, or return (whitespace) to precede abbreviations. If we make that change, things will work well with MacVIM.

            Thanks for using TextExpander from SmileOnMyMac!

            Regards,

            Greg
            TextExpander Support
            textexpander@...

            I'm hoping they implement this change soon. If I hear back that they have, I'll notify the list.

            Thanks,
            Joe

            >> I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use the package
            >> "TextExpander" (from www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander) in
            MacVim?

            > it looks like MacVim does not implement some stuff TextExpander
            > expects to be there. There was a similar problem a while back (
            http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/f8b057ec6afe12e7/5516236a1466978b?lnk=gst&q=applescript#5516236a1466978b
            > . By the way, why has this patch not been merged?), but the fix
            > proposed in that thread does not help here.

            MacVim _does_ work with TextExpander. It just does not work right
            after entering insert mode. Why?

            TextExpander starts a small background process ('textexpanderd', you
            can find it in Activity Monitor). This process logs all of your
            keypresses. When it sees one of the macros (for example the default
            macro "ttime"), it replaces that macro with its replacement: It
            somehow deletes the macro text, stores the current pasteboard content,
            then puts the replacement text in the pasteboard, activates ⌘V in the
            current application, and restores the old pasteboard content. Nearly
            all of this does work with MacVim.

            However, MacVim uses modes, and you need to press 'i' to enter insert
            mode. So when you enter insert mode and the type 'ttime', TextExpander

            sees 'ittime' (it doesn't know about modes) and thus, the keyword
            is
            not triggered. It seems it does not work to add 'i' as a delimiter in
            SysPrefs->TextExpander->Preferences.

            What you can do: Put `map <Space> i` in your _vimrc and use Space to
            enter insert mode. Then TextExpander sees a space before your macro,
            but the space is remapped to 'i' for vim. Cons: You have to use Space
            instead of 'i' to enter insert mode, and this doesn't work if you
            enter insert mode through other keys (e.g. 'o', 'O').

            I've cc'd the TextExpander guys, perhaps they have a better suggestion.

            HTH,
            Nico
          • sedmonds
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2010
              Hi,

              Have you found a solution for using VIm with Textexpander.

              I discovered that by first inserted successive blank lines(more than 8) that
              textexpander rules work just fine.

              I am running 10.6.4 and the latest version TE.

              Let me know if this works for you.

            • Donald Ephraim Curtis
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 27, 2010
                There is now an option in TextExpander that says "Always use clipboard to insert snippet" and this seems to work in MacVim for me.

                There is a problem with the main MacVim window that they disabled inserting to a range for some reason.  I think they need to fix it but for now this works.