Re: TextExpander

  • David Morel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008
      Le 8 juil. 08 à 07:22, David Morel a écrit :

      > Le 8 juil. 08 à 01:18, Joseph Retzer a écrit :
      >
      >> Hi All,
      >> I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use the package
      >> "TextExpander" (from www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander) in MacVim?
      >>
      >> The package simply allows for "snippets" of text or graphics to be
      >> inserted in multiple applications on the Mac.
      >>
      >> I downloaded the demo and it did not work in MacVim but did in
      >> textedit (and I have no intention of switching to anything from
      >> MacVim :-)
      >>
      >> Many thanks,
      >> Joe Retzer
      >>

      > there is something similar in MacVim:
      >
      > :help iab

      Duh!

      :help :iabbrev will work better, or even :h abbreviations

      David
    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
        Hi,

        > I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use the package
        > "TextExpander" (from www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander) in MacVim?

        it looks like MacVim does not implement some stuff TextExpander
        expects to be there. There was a similar problem a while back ( http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/f8b057ec6afe12e7/5516236a1466978b?lnk=gst&q=applescript#5516236a1466978b
        . By the way, why has this patch not been merged?), but the fix
        proposed in that thread does not help here.

        I'll get in touch with the TextPander guys and will try to fix this.

        Nico

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
          Hi,

          >> I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use the package
          >> "TextExpander" (from www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander) in MacVim?
          >
          > it looks like MacVim does not implement some stuff TextExpander
          > expects to be there. There was a similar problem a while back ( http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/f8b057ec6afe12e7/5516236a1466978b?lnk=gst&q=applescript#5516236a1466978b
          > . By the way, why has this patch not been merged?), but the fix
          > proposed in that thread does not help here.

          MacVim _does_ work with TextExpander. It just does not work right
          after entering insert mode. Why?

          TextExpander starts a small background process ('textexpanderd', you
          can find it in Activity Monitor). This process logs all of your
          keypresses. When it sees one of the macros (for example the default
          macro "ttime"), it replaces that macro with its replacement: It
          somehow deletes the macro text, stores the current pasteboard content,
          then puts the replacement text in the pasteboard, activates ⌘V in the
          current application, and restores the old pasteboard content. Nearly
          all of this does work with MacVim.

          However, MacVim uses modes, and you need to press 'i' to enter insert
          mode. So when you enter insert mode and the type 'ttime', TextExpander
          sees 'ittime' (it doesn't know about modes) and thus, the keyword is
          not triggered. It seems it does not work to add 'i' as a delimiter in
          SysPrefs->TextExpander->Preferences.

          What you can do: Put `map <Space> i` in your _vimrc and use Space to
          enter insert mode. Then TextExpander sees a space before your macro,
          but the space is remapped to 'i' for vim. Cons: You have to use Space
          instead of 'i' to enter insert mode, and this doesn't work if you
          enter insert mode through other keys (e.g. 'o', 'O').

          I've cc'd the TextExpander guys, perhaps they have a better suggestion.

          HTH,
          Nico
        • björn
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
            2008/7/8 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

            >> I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use the package
            >> "TextExpander" (from www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander) in MacVim?
            >
            > it looks like MacVim does not implement some stuff TextExpander
            > expects to be there. There was a similar problem a while back ( http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/f8b057ec6afe12e7/5516236a1466978b?lnk=gst&q=applescript#5516236a1466978b
            > . By the way, why has this patch not been merged?), but the fix
            > proposed in that thread does not help here.

            That patch was never merged because it is incomplete. I need to
            figure out a reliable way to replace the current selection with a
            given string (or just insert the string if there is no selection).
            The problem is that it needs to work in all modes and the above patch
            only works in Visual mode (it doesn't even do the right thing in
            Select mode). If somebody could help me with this I could finish the
            patch and merge it.

            Thanks,
            Björn

          • Joseph Retzer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 11, 2008

              Hi All,
                First, thanks very much Nico for looking into this and providing valuable information. I too wrote the support folks for TextExpander and got this reply:

              "Hi Joe,

              Thanks for the feedback. I don't think we'll pursue a MacVIM-specific modification to TextExpander. However, we are considering no longer requiring space, tab, or return (whitespace) to precede abbreviations. If we make that change, things will work well with MacVIM.

              Thanks for using TextExpander from SmileOnMyMac!

              Regards,

              Greg
              TextExpander Support
              textexpander@...

              I'm hoping they implement this change soon. If I hear back that they have, I'll notify the list.

              Thanks,
              Joe

              >> I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use the package
              >> "TextExpander" (from www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander) in
              MacVim?

              > it looks like MacVim does not implement some stuff TextExpander
              > expects to be there. There was a similar problem a while back (
              http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/f8b057ec6afe12e7/5516236a1466978b?lnk=gst&q=applescript#5516236a1466978b
              > . By the way, why has this patch not been merged?), but the fix
              > proposed in that thread does not help here.

              MacVim _does_ work with TextExpander. It just does not work right
              after entering insert mode. Why?

              TextExpander starts a small background process ('textexpanderd', you
              can find it in Activity Monitor). This process logs all of your
              keypresses. When it sees one of the macros (for example the default
              macro "ttime"), it replaces that macro with its replacement: It
              somehow deletes the macro text, stores the current pasteboard content,
              then puts the replacement text in the pasteboard, activates ⌘V in the
              current application, and restores the old pasteboard content. Nearly
              all of this does work with MacVim.

              However, MacVim uses modes, and you need to press 'i' to enter insert
              mode. So when you enter insert mode and the type 'ttime', TextExpander

              sees 'ittime' (it doesn't know about modes) and thus, the keyword
              is
              not triggered. It seems it does not work to add 'i' as a delimiter in
              SysPrefs->TextExpander->Preferences.

              What you can do: Put `map <Space> i` in your _vimrc and use Space to
              enter insert mode. Then TextExpander sees a space before your macro,
              but the space is remapped to 'i' for vim. Cons: You have to use Space
              instead of 'i' to enter insert mode, and this doesn't work if you
              enter insert mode through other keys (e.g. 'o', 'O').

              I've cc'd the TextExpander guys, perhaps they have a better suggestion.

              HTH,
              Nico
            • sedmonds
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2010
                Hi,

                Have you found a solution for using VIm with Textexpander.

                I discovered that by first inserted successive blank lines(more than 8) that
                textexpander rules work just fine.

                I am running 10.6.4 and the latest version TE.

                Let me know if this works for you.

              • Donald Ephraim Curtis
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 27, 2010
                  There is now an option in TextExpander that says "Always use clipboard to insert snippet" and this seems to work in MacVim for me.

                  There is a problem with the main MacVim window that they disabled inserting to a range for some reason.  I think they need to fix it but for now this works.