Re: hangulinput option with UTF-8 locale

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2008
      On 19/06/08 06:34, Kiwon Um wrote:
      > Hello there.
      >
      > Because of some problems with XIM, I checked the hangulinput option.
      > But it doesn't seem to work well with UTF-8 locale.
      > Is there anyway to use this option with UTF-8 locale without changing
      > it to EUC-KR?
      >
      > Thanks.

      I don't understand ":help hangulin.txt" very well. For instance, I still
      don't understand what "2 bulsik" and "3 bulsik" refer to.

      AFAICT (comparing that helpfile with what is said in mbyte.txt),
      +hangul_input requires euc-kr, "korea" or maybe cp949 input, and it
      seems that the module author is not going to add new features. Anyway,
      as (IIUC) +hangul_input is not compatible with +gui_gtk2 (maybe because
      the latter uses exclusively UTF-8 when running in GUI mode), I cannot
      test it.

      Maybe you can try another XIM flavour (see
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_input_methods_for_UNIX_platforms )?
      Or another mode of operation? Note that of the four possible modes,
      On-the-Spot is _not_ supported by gvim (see ":help xim-input-style").

      12. You turn off your modem and get this awful empty feeling, like you just
      pulled the plug on a loved one.

    • Kiwon Um
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2008
        Thanks for your answer.

        On 6월20일, 오전1시25분, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > On 19/06/08 06:34,KiwonUm wrote:
        >
        > > Hello there.
        >
        > > Because of some problems with XIM, I checked the hangulinput option.
        > > But it doesn't seem to work well with UTF-8 locale.
        > > Is there anyway to use this option with UTF-8 locale without changing
        > > it to EUC-KR?
        >
        > > Thanks.
        >
        > I don't understand ":help hangulin.txt" very well. For instance, I still
        > don't understand what "2 bulsik" and "3 bulsik" refer to.

        That's about how the Korean keys are aligned on the keyboard.
        Generally, almost all Korean, except some special(?) guys, uses 2
        bulsik keyboard now. :)

        > AFAICT (comparing that helpfile with what is said in mbyte.txt),
        > +hangul_input requires euc-kr, "korea" or maybe cp949 input, and it
        > seems that the module author is not going to add new features. Anyway,
        > as (IIUC) +hangul_input is not compatible with +gui_gtk2 (maybe because
        > the latter uses exclusively UTF-8 when running in GUI mode), I cannot
        > test it.

        Unfortunate fact.... only euc-kr.. I wondered if there is any way to
        support utf-8 locale.

        > Maybe you can try another XIM flavour (seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_input_methods_for_UNIX_platforms)?
        > Or another mode of operation? Note that of the four possible modes,
        > On-the-Spot is _not_ supported by gvim (see ":help xim-input-style").

        Actually my problem was from latex-vim with scim, not between vim and
        scim. I reported this issue into vim_use.
        Thanks again.

        Best regards,
        Kiwon Um.