Re: Help with suppressing display of certain characters.

  • Jjgod Jiang
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 12 4:16 PM
      Hi,

      On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:56 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
      > Judging from how Tony's example renders in TextEdit and in MacVim.app
      > I'd say this is a problem with MacVim. Unfortunately, I think this
      > kind of problem is going to be tremendously hard to fix with the
      > current renderer but it might be possible with the ATSUI based
      > renderer. In any case, I don't think I can do much about it in MacVim
      > right now. Sorry. :-(
      >
      > Jiang (if you are reading this), do you think you can get Tony's file
      > to render with ATSUI?

      Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't think it will work properly like
      TextEdit did.
      At least not for now, but I'll try to investigate this (Just as I told
      Ben in my last
      mail on vim_mac list).

      - Jiang

    • itabtabai
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 13 4:48 AM
        Hi Ken,

        I've uploaded screenshots of the display with different fonts on both
        MacVim and gvim.

        http://rapidshare.com/files/122137390/Archive.tbz.html

        All fonts are displayed at size 20. My comments on the screenshots:
        gvim-bitsreamB.png: Crisp, nice, spread, and easy on the eyes.
        macvim-dejavuB.png: The more diacritics (harakaat) I put the more the
        line number is pushed off screen and the letters start having gaps.
        macvim-dejavuB2.png: Only just starting to type.
        macvim-dejavuB3.png: Only one letter and it's ""haraka" and the line
        number is already pushed.

        Tony,
        The rest for you:
        gvim-courierNR.png: Not bad. But you note the gaps due to "harakaat".
        gvim-courierNB.png: Nice, crisp, but not as easy on the eyes as
        bitstream/dejavu. Bitstream/dejavu spreading/cursivness is very neat.
        gvim-courier10B.png: Gaps are very clear.

        So, my conclusion from all the above is that the defect of display is
        not only MacVim specific. It also relates to the fonts used in a less
        intrusive manner. While some fonts do produce gaps as worst case
        scenario on gvim, almost all fonts don't work properly with diacritics/
        harakaat on MacVim. Also the fact that none monospaced fonts don't
        display properly in MacVim nor gvim.