Re: Help with suppressing display of certain characters.

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
      On 12/06/08 23:13, itabtabai wrote:
      > Just wanted to thank everyone.
      >
      > I got gvim, using fink, and bitstream sans mono ... the display is so
      > crisp it makes me cry!

      Well, so much the better for you.

      FWIW, in Bitstream Vera Sans Mono I see the harakat (Arabic short vowels
      etc.) one cell left of where they should be, but in Courier New I see
      them just where they belong -- using the same text file and the same
      gvim binary.

      Philogyny recapitulates erogeny; erogeny recapitulates philogyny.

    • Jjgod Jiang
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
        Hi,

        On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:56 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
        > Judging from how Tony's example renders in TextEdit and in MacVim.app
        > I'd say this is a problem with MacVim. Unfortunately, I think this
        > kind of problem is going to be tremendously hard to fix with the
        > current renderer but it might be possible with the ATSUI based
        > renderer. In any case, I don't think I can do much about it in MacVim
        > right now. Sorry. :-(
        >
        > Jiang (if you are reading this), do you think you can get Tony's file
        > to render with ATSUI?

        Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't think it will work properly like
        TextEdit did.
        At least not for now, but I'll try to investigate this (Just as I told
        Ben in my last
        mail on vim_mac list).

        - Jiang

      • itabtabai
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 13, 2008
          Hi Ken,

          I've uploaded screenshots of the display with different fonts on both
          MacVim and gvim.

          http://rapidshare.com/files/122137390/Archive.tbz.html

          All fonts are displayed at size 20. My comments on the screenshots:
          gvim-bitsreamB.png: Crisp, nice, spread, and easy on the eyes.
          macvim-dejavuB.png: The more diacritics (harakaat) I put the more the
          line number is pushed off screen and the letters start having gaps.
          macvim-dejavuB2.png: Only just starting to type.
          macvim-dejavuB3.png: Only one letter and it's ""haraka" and the line
          number is already pushed.

          Tony,
          The rest for you:
          gvim-courierNR.png: Not bad. But you note the gaps due to "harakaat".
          gvim-courierNB.png: Nice, crisp, but not as easy on the eyes as
          bitstream/dejavu. Bitstream/dejavu spreading/cursivness is very neat.
          gvim-courier10B.png: Gaps are very clear.

          So, my conclusion from all the above is that the defect of display is
          not only MacVim specific. It also relates to the fonts used in a less
          intrusive manner. While some fonts do produce gaps as worst case
          scenario on gvim, almost all fonts don't work properly with diacritics/
          harakaat on MacVim. Also the fact that none monospaced fonts don't
          display properly in MacVim nor gvim.