Re: Help with suppressing display of certain characters.

  • Kenneth Reid Beesley
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
      You might just post a short sequence of Unicode code-point values, e.g.

      (beginning)

      0x0643 (kaaf)
      0x064F (Damma)
      0x062A (taa')
      0x0650 (kasra)
      0x0628 (baa')
      0x064E (fatHa)
      0x062A (taa')
      0x0652 (sukuun)

      (end)

      and explain what is not being rendered correctly. (Here the kaaf-taa'-
      baa'-taa' should
      be displayed properly connected, right-to-left; the Damma should
      appear above the (initial-form) kaaf, the kasra should appear below
      the (medial-form) taa', the fatHa should appear above the (medial-
      form) baa', and the sukuun should appear above the (final-form) taa'.

      Please specify which font you are using.

      Best,

      Ken

      On 12 Jun 2008, at 07:09, itabtabai wrote:

      > Can't upload, e-mail is rejected!
      > My first time using rapidshare, I hope the link is the right one:
      >
      > http://rapidshare.com/files/121921145/macvim.gif.html
      >
      > On Jun 12, 3:38 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >>> Sorry guys, but it is my first time here, I've got two comparative
      >>> screenshots and a sample text file. How do I post them?
      >>
      >> you could use the "upload file" button athttp://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac
      >> , post them to rapidshare, or append them to a mail if the files
      >> are
      >> not too big.
      >>
      >> Nico

      ******************************
      Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
      P.O. Box 540475
      North Salt Lake, UT
      84054 USA

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
        On 12/06/08 23:13, itabtabai wrote:
        > Just wanted to thank everyone.
        >
        > I got gvim, using fink, and bitstream sans mono ... the display is so
        > crisp it makes me cry!

        Well, so much the better for you.

        FWIW, in Bitstream Vera Sans Mono I see the harakat (Arabic short vowels
        etc.) one cell left of where they should be, but in Courier New I see
        them just where they belong -- using the same text file and the same
        gvim binary.

        Philogyny recapitulates erogeny; erogeny recapitulates philogyny.

      • Jjgod Jiang
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
          Hi,

          On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:56 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
          > Judging from how Tony's example renders in TextEdit and in MacVim.app
          > I'd say this is a problem with MacVim. Unfortunately, I think this
          > kind of problem is going to be tremendously hard to fix with the
          > current renderer but it might be possible with the ATSUI based
          > renderer. In any case, I don't think I can do much about it in MacVim
          > right now. Sorry. :-(
          >
          > Jiang (if you are reading this), do you think you can get Tony's file
          > to render with ATSUI?

          Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't think it will work properly like
          TextEdit did.
          At least not for now, but I'll try to investigate this (Just as I told
          Ben in my last
          mail on vim_mac list).

          - Jiang

        • itabtabai
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 13, 2008
            Hi Ken,

            I've uploaded screenshots of the display with different fonts on both
            MacVim and gvim.

            http://rapidshare.com/files/122137390/Archive.tbz.html

            All fonts are displayed at size 20. My comments on the screenshots:
            gvim-bitsreamB.png: Crisp, nice, spread, and easy on the eyes.
            macvim-dejavuB.png: The more diacritics (harakaat) I put the more the
            line number is pushed off screen and the letters start having gaps.
            macvim-dejavuB2.png: Only just starting to type.
            macvim-dejavuB3.png: Only one letter and it's ""haraka" and the line
            number is already pushed.

            Tony,
            The rest for you:
            gvim-courierNR.png: Not bad. But you note the gaps due to "harakaat".
            gvim-courierNB.png: Nice, crisp, but not as easy on the eyes as
            bitstream/dejavu. Bitstream/dejavu spreading/cursivness is very neat.
            gvim-courier10B.png: Gaps are very clear.

            So, my conclusion from all the above is that the defect of display is
            not only MacVim specific. It also relates to the fonts used in a less
            intrusive manner. While some fonts do produce gaps as worst case
            scenario on gvim, almost all fonts don't work properly with diacritics/
            harakaat on MacVim. Also the fact that none monospaced fonts don't
            display properly in MacVim nor gvim.