Re: Help with suppressing display of certain characters.

  • itabtabai
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
      Just wanted to thank everyone.

      I got gvim, using fink, and bitstream sans mono ... the display is so
      crisp it makes me cry!

      On Jun 12, 6:01 pm, itabtabai <itabta...@...> wrote:
      > Running MacVim.app with dark background color scheme.
      >
      > Running vim inside Terminal.app for arabic support is worthless. Apple
      > doesn't even properly support arabic in it's applications to say the
      > least.
      >
      > On Jun 12, 5:47 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > On 12/06/08 16:15, itabtabai wrote:
      >
      > > > It might be a MacVim problem after all since it renders well on your
      > > > "gvim".
      > > > I am not sure if there is a "+arabic" literal configuration option. Do
      > > > you mean "multibyte" "huge" ./configure options? The "set arabic"
      > > > command works, so I am assuming that I've built with arabic support.
      >
      > > To see if it is compiled with +arabic enabled, look at the output of
      > > ":version". On the first line after "Features enabled [+] or not [-]:",
      > > the first item is usually either "+arabic" (feature enabled) or
      > > "-arabic" (feature disabled). If it is disabled, your version of Vim
      > > probably knows nothing about how to shape Arabic letters within words or
      > > about how to place harakat (i.e., short vowels with or without tanueen,
      > > as well as shadda and sukuun) on top of consonants (or under them as the
      > > case may be).
      >
      > > > Note that the images I've sent are using the most decent fonts that
      > > > MacVim would display. I've been through more bad fonts at display,
      > > > e.g. some fonts would eat up the first character on the line. Not to
      > > > mention that when "arabic" is set and display becomes RTL the line
      > > > numbering would get messed up.
      >
      > > If setting 'arabic' makes the display RTL, your version is probably
      > > compiled with Arabic script support.
      >
      > > > Should I compile MacVim with gvim support, maybe that would solve the
      > > > problem?
      >
      > > Compiling Vim with GUI support (be it the X11 GUI or the native-Mac GUI)
      > > would at least eliminate any problems due to running Vim inside
      > > Terminal.app. Or are you already running in GUI mode but with some
      > > dark-background colorscheme?
      >
      > > Best regards,
      > > Tony.
      > > --
      > > BEDEVERE: And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
      > >                   "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY)
      > > PICTURES LTD
    • Kenneth Reid Beesley
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
        You might just post a short sequence of Unicode code-point values, e.g.

        (beginning)

        0x0643 (kaaf)
        0x064F (Damma)
        0x062A (taa')
        0x0650 (kasra)
        0x0628 (baa')
        0x064E (fatHa)
        0x062A (taa')
        0x0652 (sukuun)

        (end)

        and explain what is not being rendered correctly. (Here the kaaf-taa'-
        baa'-taa' should
        be displayed properly connected, right-to-left; the Damma should
        appear above the (initial-form) kaaf, the kasra should appear below
        the (medial-form) taa', the fatHa should appear above the (medial-
        form) baa', and the sukuun should appear above the (final-form) taa'.

        Please specify which font you are using.

        Best,

        Ken

        On 12 Jun 2008, at 07:09, itabtabai wrote:

        > Can't upload, e-mail is rejected!
        > My first time using rapidshare, I hope the link is the right one:
        >
        > http://rapidshare.com/files/121921145/macvim.gif.html
        >
        > On Jun 12, 3:38 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >>> Sorry guys, but it is my first time here, I've got two comparative
        >>> screenshots and a sample text file. How do I post them?
        >>
        >> you could use the "upload file" button athttp://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac
        >> , post them to rapidshare, or append them to a mail if the files
        >> are
        >> not too big.
        >>
        >> Nico

        ******************************
        Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
        P.O. Box 540475
        North Salt Lake, UT
        84054 USA

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
          On 12/06/08 23:13, itabtabai wrote:
          > Just wanted to thank everyone.
          >
          > I got gvim, using fink, and bitstream sans mono ... the display is so
          > crisp it makes me cry!

          Well, so much the better for you.

          FWIW, in Bitstream Vera Sans Mono I see the harakat (Arabic short vowels
          etc.) one cell left of where they should be, but in Courier New I see
          them just where they belong -- using the same text file and the same
          gvim binary.

          Philogyny recapitulates erogeny; erogeny recapitulates philogyny.

        • Jjgod Jiang
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
            Hi,

            On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:56 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            > Judging from how Tony's example renders in TextEdit and in MacVim.app
            > I'd say this is a problem with MacVim. Unfortunately, I think this
            > kind of problem is going to be tremendously hard to fix with the
            > current renderer but it might be possible with the ATSUI based
            > renderer. In any case, I don't think I can do much about it in MacVim
            > right now. Sorry. :-(
            >
            > Jiang (if you are reading this), do you think you can get Tony's file
            > to render with ATSUI?

            Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't think it will work properly like
            TextEdit did.
            At least not for now, but I'll try to investigate this (Just as I told
            Ben in my last
            mail on vim_mac list).

            - Jiang

          • itabtabai
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 13, 2008
              Hi Ken,

              I've uploaded screenshots of the display with different fonts on both
              MacVim and gvim.

              http://rapidshare.com/files/122137390/Archive.tbz.html

              All fonts are displayed at size 20. My comments on the screenshots:
              gvim-bitsreamB.png: Crisp, nice, spread, and easy on the eyes.
              macvim-dejavuB.png: The more diacritics (harakaat) I put the more the
              line number is pushed off screen and the letters start having gaps.
              macvim-dejavuB2.png: Only just starting to type.
              macvim-dejavuB3.png: Only one letter and it's ""haraka" and the line
              number is already pushed.

              Tony,
              The rest for you:
              gvim-courierNR.png: Not bad. But you note the gaps due to "harakaat".
              gvim-courierNB.png: Nice, crisp, but not as easy on the eyes as
              bitstream/dejavu. Bitstream/dejavu spreading/cursivness is very neat.
              gvim-courier10B.png: Gaps are very clear.

              So, my conclusion from all the above is that the defect of display is
              not only MacVim specific. It also relates to the fonts used in a less
              intrusive manner. While some fonts do produce gaps as worst case
              scenario on gvim, almost all fonts don't work properly with diacritics/
              harakaat on MacVim. Also the fact that none monospaced fonts don't
              display properly in MacVim nor gvim.