Re: Help with suppressing display of certain characters.

  • itabtabai
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
      Can't upload, e-mail is rejected!
      My first time using rapidshare, I hope the link is the right one:

      http://rapidshare.com/files/121921145/macvim.gif.html

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
        On 12/06/08 15:09, itabtabai wrote:
        > Can't upload, e-mail is rejected!
        > My first time using rapidshare, I hope the link is the right one:
        >
        > http://rapidshare.com/files/121921145/macvim.gif.html

        Hmmm....
        - Is your Vim version compiled with +arabic ?
        - It could be a problem with your console if you weren't using gvim
        - I'm attaching a _small_ text file in UTF-8, which contains one line in
        vocalized Arabic. My gvim (in 'rightleft' mode of course) displays it
        correctly, with the vowels above or below the proper consonants and the
        latters properly joined where appropriate. Do you see it correctly in
        GUI mode? The text is a commonly "polite" form of salutation,
        "as-salaamu `alaykum wa-rahmatu 'llaahi wa-barakaatuhu", or in English,
        "Peace upon you and God's benevolence and His blessings"; if your mailer
        displays the text attachment inline, that ought to give you a point of
        comparison.

        The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding
        bureaucracy.

      • björn
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
          2008/6/12 Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>:
          > On 12/06/08 15:09, itabtabai wrote:
          >> Can't upload, e-mail is rejected!
          >> My first time using rapidshare, I hope the link is the right one:
          >>
          >> http://rapidshare.com/files/121921145/macvim.gif.html
          >>

          > Hmmm....
          > - Is your Vim version compiled with +arabic ?
          > - It could be a problem with your console if you weren't using gvim
          > - I'm attaching a _small_ text file in UTF-8, which contains one line in
          > vocalized Arabic. My gvim (in 'rightleft' mode of course) displays it
          > correctly, with the vowels above or below the proper consonants and the
          > latters properly joined where appropriate. Do you see it correctly in
          > GUI mode? The text is a commonly "polite" form of salutation,
          > "as-salaamu `alaykum wa-rahmatu 'llaahi wa-barakaatuhu", or in English,
          > "Peace upon you and God's benevolence and His blessings"; if your mailer
          > displays the text attachment inline, that ought to give you a point of
          > comparison.

          Judging from how Tony's example renders in TextEdit and in MacVim.app
          I'd say this is a problem with MacVim. Unfortunately, I think this
          kind of problem is going to be tremendously hard to fix with the
          current renderer but it might be possible with the ATSUI based
          renderer. In any case, I don't think I can do much about it in MacVim
          right now. Sorry. :-(

          Jiang (if you are reading this), do you think you can get Tony's file
          to render with ATSUI?

          Björn

        • itabtabai
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
            It might be a MacVim problem after all since it renders well on your
            "gvim".
            I am not sure if there is a "+arabic" literal configuration option. Do
            you mean "multibyte" "huge" ./configure options? The "set arabic"
            command works, so I am assuming that I've built with arabic support.

            Note that the images I've sent are using the most decent fonts that
            MacVim would display. I've been through more bad fonts at display,
            e.g. some fonts would eat up the first character on the line. Not to
            mention that when "arabic" is set and display becomes RTL the line
            numbering would get messed up.

            Should I compile MacVim with gvim support, maybe that would solve the
            problem?

            On Jun 12, 4:46 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
            wrote:
            > On 12/06/08 15:09, itabtabai wrote:
            >
            > > Can't upload, e-mail is rejected!
            > > My first time using rapidshare, I hope the link is the right one:
            >
            > >http://rapidshare.com/files/121921145/macvim.gif.html
            >
            > Hmmm....
            > - Is your Vim version compiled with +arabic ?
            > - It could be a problem with your console if you weren't using gvim
            > - I'm attaching a _small_ text file in UTF-8, which contains one line in
            > vocalized Arabic. My gvim (in 'rightleft' mode of course) displays it
            > correctly, with the vowels above or below the proper consonants and the
            > latters properly joined where appropriate. Do you see it correctly in
            > GUI mode? The text is a commonly "polite" form of salutation,
            > "as-salaamu `alaykum wa-rahmatu 'llaahi wa-barakaatuhu", or in English,
            > "Peace upon you and God's benevolence and His blessings"; if your mailer
            > displays the text attachment inline, that ought to give you a point of
            > comparison.
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Tony.
            > --
            > The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding
            > bureaucracy.
            >
            > [salaam-rahma.txt]أَلسَّلام٠ Ø¹ÙŽÙ„َيْك٠مْ وَرَحْمَة٠ Ù±Ù„له٠ ÙˆÙŽÙŽØ¨ÙŽØ±ÙŽÙƒØ§ØªÙ Ù‡Ù
          • itabtabai
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
              Just a follow-up:
              :version
              would display +arabic.
              Sorry I didn't understand your "+arabic" question.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
                On 12/06/08 16:15, itabtabai wrote:
                > It might be a MacVim problem after all since it renders well on your
                > "gvim".
                > I am not sure if there is a "+arabic" literal configuration option. Do
                > you mean "multibyte" "huge" ./configure options? The "set arabic"
                > command works, so I am assuming that I've built with arabic support.

                To see if it is compiled with +arabic enabled, look at the output of
                ":version". On the first line after "Features enabled [+] or not [-]:",
                the first item is usually either "+arabic" (feature enabled) or
                "-arabic" (feature disabled). If it is disabled, your version of Vim
                probably knows nothing about how to shape Arabic letters within words or
                about how to place harakat (i.e., short vowels with or without tanueen,
                as well as shadda and sukuun) on top of consonants (or under them as the
                case may be).

                > Note that the images I've sent are using the most decent fonts that
                > MacVim would display. I've been through more bad fonts at display,
                > e.g. some fonts would eat up the first character on the line. Not to
                > mention that when "arabic" is set and display becomes RTL the line
                > numbering would get messed up.

                If setting 'arabic' makes the display RTL, your version is probably
                compiled with Arabic script support.

                > Should I compile MacVim with gvim support, maybe that would solve the
                > problem?

                Compiling Vim with GUI support (be it the X11 GUI or the native-Mac GUI)
                would at least eliminate any problems due to running Vim inside
                Terminal.app. Or are you already running in GUI mode but with some
                dark-background colorscheme?

                BEDEVERE: And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
                PICTURES LTD

              • itabtabai
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
                  Running MacVim.app with dark background color scheme.

                  Running vim inside Terminal.app for arabic support is worthless. Apple
                  doesn't even properly support arabic in it's applications to say the
                  least.

                  On Jun 12, 5:47 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                  wrote:
                  > On 12/06/08 16:15, itabtabai wrote:
                  >
                  > > It might be a MacVim problem after all since it renders well on your
                  > > "gvim".
                  > > I am not sure if there is a "+arabic" literal configuration option. Do
                  > > you mean "multibyte" "huge" ./configure options? The "set arabic"
                  > > command works, so I am assuming that I've built with arabic support.
                  >
                  > To see if it is compiled with +arabic enabled, look at the output of
                  > ":version". On the first line after "Features enabled [+] or not [-]:",
                  > the first item is usually either "+arabic" (feature enabled) or
                  > "-arabic" (feature disabled). If it is disabled, your version of Vim
                  > probably knows nothing about how to shape Arabic letters within words or
                  > about how to place harakat (i.e., short vowels with or without tanueen,
                  > as well as shadda and sukuun) on top of consonants (or under them as the
                  > case may be).
                  >

                  > > Note that the images I've sent are using the most decent fonts that
                  > > MacVim would display. I've been through more bad fonts at display,
                  > > e.g. some fonts would eat up the first character on the line. Not to
                  > > mention that when "arabic" is set and display becomes RTL the line
                  > > numbering would get messed up.
                  >
                  > If setting 'arabic' makes the display RTL, your version is probably
                  > compiled with Arabic script support.
                  >

                  > > Should I compile MacVim with gvim support, maybe that would solve the
                  > > problem?
                  >
                  > Compiling Vim with GUI support (be it the X11 GUI or the native-Mac GUI)
                  > would at least eliminate any problems due to running Vim inside
                  > Terminal.app. Or are you already running in GUI mode but with some
                  > dark-background colorscheme?
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  > Tony.
                  > --
                  > BEDEVERE: And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
                  >                   "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY)
                  > PICTURES LTD
                • itabtabai
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
                    Just wanted to thank everyone.

                    I got gvim, using fink, and bitstream sans mono ... the display is so
                    crisp it makes me cry!

                    On Jun 12, 6:01 pm, itabtabai <itabta...@...> wrote:
                    > Running MacVim.app with dark background color scheme.
                    >
                    > Running vim inside Terminal.app for arabic support is worthless. Apple
                    > doesn't even properly support arabic in it's applications to say the
                    > least.
                    >
                    > On Jun 12, 5:47 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > On 12/06/08 16:15, itabtabai wrote:
                    >
                    > > > It might be a MacVim problem after all since it renders well on your
                    > > > "gvim".
                    > > > I am not sure if there is a "+arabic" literal configuration option. Do
                    > > > you mean "multibyte" "huge" ./configure options? The "set arabic"
                    > > > command works, so I am assuming that I've built with arabic support.
                    >
                    > > To see if it is compiled with +arabic enabled, look at the output of
                    > > ":version". On the first line after "Features enabled [+] or not [-]:",
                    > > the first item is usually either "+arabic" (feature enabled) or
                    > > "-arabic" (feature disabled). If it is disabled, your version of Vim
                    > > probably knows nothing about how to shape Arabic letters within words or
                    > > about how to place harakat (i.e., short vowels with or without tanueen,
                    > > as well as shadda and sukuun) on top of consonants (or under them as the
                    > > case may be).
                    >
                    > > > Note that the images I've sent are using the most decent fonts that
                    > > > MacVim would display. I've been through more bad fonts at display,
                    > > > e.g. some fonts would eat up the first character on the line. Not to
                    > > > mention that when "arabic" is set and display becomes RTL the line
                    > > > numbering would get messed up.
                    >
                    > > If setting 'arabic' makes the display RTL, your version is probably
                    > > compiled with Arabic script support.
                    >
                    > > > Should I compile MacVim with gvim support, maybe that would solve the
                    > > > problem?
                    >
                    > > Compiling Vim with GUI support (be it the X11 GUI or the native-Mac GUI)
                    > > would at least eliminate any problems due to running Vim inside
                    > > Terminal.app. Or are you already running in GUI mode but with some
                    > > dark-background colorscheme?
                    >
                    > > Best regards,
                    > > Tony.
                    > > --
                    > > BEDEVERE: And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
                    > >                   "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY)
                    > > PICTURES LTD
                  • Kenneth Reid Beesley
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
                      You might just post a short sequence of Unicode code-point values, e.g.

                      (beginning)

                      0x0643 (kaaf)
                      0x064F (Damma)
                      0x062A (taa')
                      0x0650 (kasra)
                      0x0628 (baa')
                      0x064E (fatHa)
                      0x062A (taa')
                      0x0652 (sukuun)

                      (end)

                      and explain what is not being rendered correctly. (Here the kaaf-taa'-
                      baa'-taa' should
                      be displayed properly connected, right-to-left; the Damma should
                      appear above the (initial-form) kaaf, the kasra should appear below
                      the (medial-form) taa', the fatHa should appear above the (medial-
                      form) baa', and the sukuun should appear above the (final-form) taa'.

                      Please specify which font you are using.

                      Best,

                      Ken

                      On 12 Jun 2008, at 07:09, itabtabai wrote:

                      > Can't upload, e-mail is rejected!
                      > My first time using rapidshare, I hope the link is the right one:
                      >
                      > http://rapidshare.com/files/121921145/macvim.gif.html
                      >
                      > On Jun 12, 3:38 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
                      >> Hi,
                      >>
                      >>> Sorry guys, but it is my first time here, I've got two comparative
                      >>> screenshots and a sample text file. How do I post them?
                      >>
                      >> you could use the "upload file" button athttp://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac
                      >> , post them to rapidshare, or append them to a mail if the files
                      >> are
                      >> not too big.
                      >>
                      >> Nico

                      ******************************
                      Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
                      P.O. Box 540475
                      North Salt Lake, UT
                      84054 USA

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
                        On 12/06/08 23:13, itabtabai wrote:
                        > Just wanted to thank everyone.
                        >
                        > I got gvim, using fink, and bitstream sans mono ... the display is so
                        > crisp it makes me cry!

                        Well, so much the better for you.

                        FWIW, in Bitstream Vera Sans Mono I see the harakat (Arabic short vowels
                        etc.) one cell left of where they should be, but in Courier New I see
                        them just where they belong -- using the same text file and the same
                        gvim binary.

                        Philogyny recapitulates erogeny; erogeny recapitulates philogyny.

                      • Jjgod Jiang
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 12, 2008
                          Hi,

                          On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:56 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                          > Judging from how Tony's example renders in TextEdit and in MacVim.app
                          > I'd say this is a problem with MacVim. Unfortunately, I think this
                          > kind of problem is going to be tremendously hard to fix with the
                          > current renderer but it might be possible with the ATSUI based
                          > renderer. In any case, I don't think I can do much about it in MacVim
                          > right now. Sorry. :-(
                          >
                          > Jiang (if you are reading this), do you think you can get Tony's file
                          > to render with ATSUI?

                          Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't think it will work properly like
                          TextEdit did.
                          At least not for now, but I'll try to investigate this (Just as I told
                          Ben in my last
                          mail on vim_mac list).

                          - Jiang

                        • itabtabai
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 13, 2008
                            Hi Ken,

                            I've uploaded screenshots of the display with different fonts on both
                            MacVim and gvim.

                            http://rapidshare.com/files/122137390/Archive.tbz.html

                            All fonts are displayed at size 20. My comments on the screenshots:
                            gvim-bitsreamB.png: Crisp, nice, spread, and easy on the eyes.
                            macvim-dejavuB.png: The more diacritics (harakaat) I put the more the
                            line number is pushed off screen and the letters start having gaps.
                            macvim-dejavuB2.png: Only just starting to type.
                            macvim-dejavuB3.png: Only one letter and it's ""haraka" and the line
                            number is already pushed.

                            Tony,
                            The rest for you:
                            gvim-courierNR.png: Not bad. But you note the gaps due to "harakaat".
                            gvim-courierNB.png: Nice, crisp, but not as easy on the eyes as
                            bitstream/dejavu. Bitstream/dejavu spreading/cursivness is very neat.
                            gvim-courier10B.png: Gaps are very clear.

                            So, my conclusion from all the above is that the defect of display is
                            not only MacVim specific. It also relates to the fonts used in a less
                            intrusive manner. While some fonts do produce gaps as worst case
                            scenario on gvim, almost all fonts don't work properly with diacritics/
                            harakaat on MacVim. Also the fact that none monospaced fonts don't
                            display properly in MacVim nor gvim.