Re: Unicode conversion bug?

  • T.P.S.Nakagawa
    Message 1 of 25 , May 5, 2008
      Sorry, Tony.

      But I pleasure of report next thing of this problem.

      > If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
      > three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32

      Oh yes. I delete 2 bytes , that displayed in unix UTF-8 console.
      But by shown "od -xc" command, notepad attach 3 bytes of BOM. sorry.

      Then, I report more deep for this problem.
      Vim read UTF-8 + BOM , if fileencodings setted, allways display by UTF-8.
      so Windows Japanese version ( must display cp932 )
      so unix console setted ja_JP.eucJP.

      That's all of reason , bad display.

      I read 1 hour sources, around *p_fencs setting, but I sleeped.
      It's hard of read part of big source.

      Best regard, by yaemon.

      P.S. now, download page of libiconv is
      http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/misc/libiconv
      --
      NAKAGAWA Tsuneo (a.k.a. yaemon ) mailto:yaemon@...
      Web site ( Japanese ony ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

      Message 2 of 25 , May 5, 2008
        On 06/05/08 04:58, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
        > Sorry, Tony.
        >
        > But I pleasure of report next thing of this problem.

        > > If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
        > > three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32
        >
        > Oh yes. I delete 2 bytes , that displayed in unix UTF-8 console.
        > But by shown "od -xc" command, notepad attach 3 bytes of BOM. sorry.
        >

        > Then, I report more deep for this problem.
        > Vim read UTF-8 + BOM , if fileencodings setted, allways display by UTF-8.
        > so Windows Japanese version ( must display cp932 )
        > so unix console setted ja_JP.eucJP.

        If your 'fileencodings' starts with "ucs-bom", Vim ought to detect
        correctly any Unicode encoding when there is a BOM without interfering
        with the detection of other encodings, unless they may start with one or
        more of the following codes and contain not a single invalid byte (or
        invalid sequence of bytes) for the corresponding Unicode encoding (I
        know that many combinations of bytes higher than 0x7F are invalid in
        UTF-8; I'm less sure about the other):

        EF BB BF UTF-8
        FE FF UTF-16be
        FF FE UTF-16le
        00 00 FE FF UTF-32be
        FF FE 00 00 UTF-32le

        Notice that Vim (and any other program with BOM detection) may "guess
        wrong" if a file in UTF-16le with BOM starts with a NULL; but I suppose
        that such a case is so rare it may be safely ignored.

        Notes:
        - Even if editing cp932 files, you may set 'encoding' to utf-8
        - In GUI mode, anything that 'encoding' can represent, can be displayed
        if your 'guifont' has a glyph for it. Characters for which your
        'guifont' has no glyph may be represented by a "placeholder" question
        mark or hollow box etc.; but if you use the GTK2 GUI (X11 only, thus not
        on Windows) it may, in some cases, be clever enough to find an
        appropriate glyph in a different font.
        - Even if your terminal display is set to accept cp932 output, you may
        still set 'encoding' to utf-8 in Console mode if 'termencoding' is set
        to cp932, but of course in that case if you edit Unicode (or other
        non-cp932) files containing characters which cannot be represented in
        cp932, you will get a "placeholder" display (possibly a question mark or
        a hollow box) at that position even though the actual contents of the
        file are correct.
        - The above applies also, of course, with "cp932" replaced everywhere by
        "euc-jp".

        > That's all of reason , bad display.
        >
        > I read 1 hour sources, around *p_fencs setting, but I sleeped.
        > It's hard of read part of big source.

        Yes, especially when you're lacking sleep. ;-)

        > Best regard, by yaemon.
        >

        > P.S. now, download page of libiconv is
        > http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/misc/libiconv
        > --
        > NAKAGAWA Tsuneo (a.k.a. yaemon ) mailto:yaemon@...
        > Web site ( Japanese ony ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

        "The Good Ship Enterprise" (to the tune of "The Good Ship Lollipop")

        On the good ship Enterprise
        Every week there's a new surprise
        Where the Romulans lurk
        And the Klingons often go berserk.

        Yes, the good ship Enterprise
        There's excitement anywhere it flies
        Where Tribbles play
        And Nurse Chapel never gets her way.

        See Captain Kirk standing on the bridge,
        Mr. Spock is at his side.
        The weekly menace, ooh-ooh
        It gets fried, scattered far and wide.

        It's the good ship Enterprise
        Heading out where danger lies
        And you live in dread
        If you're wearing a shirt that's red.
        -- Doris Robin and Karen Trimble of The L.A. Filkharmonics

      • T.P.S.Nakagawa
        Message 3 of 25 , May 7, 2008
          Thanks all.

          > If your 'fileencodings' starts with "ucs-bom", Vim ought to detect
          > correctly any Unicode encoding when there is a BOM without interfering
          > with the detection of other encodings, unless they may start with one or
          > more of the following codes and contain not a single invalid byte (or
          > invalid sequence of bytes) for the corresponding Unicode encoding (I
          > know that many combinations of bytes higher than 0x7F are invalid in
          > UTF-8; I'm less sure about the other):

          Oh!? Did I forget write?
          After libiconv version up to 1.11 , Vim detect all time correct charset.
          ( If I confidence "set fileencoding?" )

          And, if I wrote in _vimrc "set fileencodings=" ( set null string ),
          or started by ucs-bomb,
          or overwrite by "set fileencodings=ucs-bomb" ( that's default of Win32),
          at all case gvim try diaplay by UTF-8.

          Is it only Windows Japanese version's ?
          By latin-1 charset, if you wrote (c) _copyright by one character_ or accent + e
          by notepad and save by UTF-8, gvim display as you want?

          Best regard, by yaemon