Re: jumping to a character instead of byte

    Message 1 of 4 , May 5 6:22 PM
      On 05/05/08 17:38, Derick Eddington wrote:
      > Thanks Tony.
      >
      > That's a lot to have to type every time I want to go to a character.
      > I'm thinking there must be a way to package that code into a Vim
      > function/procedure/command, say :gotoc, but I'm totally new to Vim,
      > could you or anyone quickly tell/point me how to do that and where to
      > put it so it's available when I start Vim? Thank you very much. I
      > imagine adding a new :gotoc to Vim would be greatly appreciated by
      > many others, now that multi-byte encodings are becoming so much more
      > prevalent.

      You would in any case have had to either type the character-count
      manually, or (in a script) get it from a variable. Manually, it's
      usually just as many keypresses (and sometimes one less) to type "one
      less than the number". Prefix that by gg and postfix that by one hit on
      the spacebar and you're done (assuming that the correct settings are set
      once and for all).

      In a script, you can write the appropriate ex-commands where you need to
      use them; or if you need them at several places in various scripts, you
      can define a user-command or function and invoke that.

      > [TMI, I never received your response, I'm having to use the Google
      > Groups interface to read and reply, even though I subscribed.]

      Make sure your Google Groups are set to forward all group posts to your
      email address. If you use a gmail address, set it up for POP (or IMAP
      but personally I prefer POP).

      It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.