Re: Unicode conversion bug?

  • T.P.S.Nakagawa
    Message 1 of 25 , May 3, 2008
      Sorry every typo and send my dirty setting by historical reason.

      > That 'fileencodings' setting makes me wonder:
      > - Shouldn't it start with "ucs-bom" to detect those Unicode files which
      > have a BOM?
      > - Can "ascii" give a fail signal (doesn't Vim treat it as an alias for
      > "latin1")? -- If it can, then it's OK there, but otherwise not.
      > - What is "ucs-2-internal"? Won't it be detected as "utf-16" (which is a
      > superset of UCS-2) by the "utf-16" entry three steps earlier?
      > - Why is "utf-16" mentioned twice? (The second entry does no harm, but
      > will never be used.)
      > - Won't you ever receive UCS-2/UTF-16 files in little-endian ordering
      > (which is standard on Intel ix86 and therefore on Windows)?

      Thank you. I correct this sort.

      > set
      fileencodings=ascii,iso-2022-jp,utf-8,euc-jp,java,utf-16,ucs-bomb,cp932,utf-16LE,euc-jis0213,ISO-8859-1

      First is "ascii" , that's my intention.
      ( Is it really alias of latin1? latin1 have another code of ascii ).

      If not exist this first, all ascii code ( ex. programming source ) detected
      iso-2022-jp and Can't add multibyte comment by UTF-8.

      I have a trick in this.

      ----- last of vimrc -------
      if has( 'autocmd' )
      source $HOME/.vim/mine/filetype.vim " about filetype
      source $HOME/.vim/mine/encode.vim " about encoding to save
      endif

      ------ cat encode.vim -----
      " $Id: encode.vim,v 1.6 2007/11/08 05:03:18 yaemon Exp $
      " set fileencode to save
      "

      :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.jis set fileencoding=iso-2022-jp
      :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.sjis set fileencoding=shift-jis
      :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.euc-jp set fileencoding=euc-jp
      :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.mozex set fileencoding=utf-8
      :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.elm set fileencoding=utf-8
      :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead cddbread.* set fileencoding=utf-8

      :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead * call s:DefaultSaveCode()

      function s:DefaultSaveCode()
      if ( ( &fileencoding == "" ) || ( &fileencoding == "ascii" ) )
      let &fileencoding = "utf-8"
      endif
      endfunction
      ----------------------------------

      Isn't is elegant for add UTF-8 to ascii file?

      Best, Best, regard
      yaemon

      --
      NAKAGAWA Tsuneo (a.k.a. yaemon ) mailto:yaemon@...
      Web site ( Japanese ony ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

    • T.P.S.Nakagawa
      Message 2 of 25 , May 4, 2008
        Good morning ( it's 8:25 in Japan )

        > I think, in this time, return to need install new version of iconv.dll for
        > Windows.
        >
        > My Win box is too poor.
        > If I try, need cross compile on Free BSD box. But I didn't try cross compile, too.

        Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
        by cross compile on unix box, mingw32.

        If you try this, please get here
        http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/mingw/libiconv-1.12-mingw.zip

        ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(

        Best regard

        Message 3 of 25 , May 5, 2008
          Hello

          > Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
          <>
          > ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(

          I see!

          On Windows XP, file encoding detect success or not, gvim can't display
          UTF8 + BOM, if &fileencodings setted.

          lush-up way is that.

          :set binary
          2x
          :set fenc=
          :w
          :set nobinary
          :e!

          cursed notepad!
          but isn't it bug of gvim?

          regard

          Message 4 of 25 , May 5, 2008
            On 05/05/08 09:17, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
            > Hello

            > > Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
            > <>
            > > ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(
            >
            > I see!
            >
            > On Windows XP, file encoding detect success or not, gvim can't display
            > UTF8 + BOM, if&fileencodings setted.
            >

            > lush-up way is that.
            >
            > :set binary
            > 2x
            > :set fenc=
            > :w
            > :set nobinary
            > :e!
            >

            > cursed notepad!
            > but isn't it bug of gvim?
            >

            > regard

            If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
            three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32
            BOM is four bytes. If there was a two-byte BOM on a UTF-8 file, it's a
            bug in the program which produced that file.

            When a Windows program (such as WordPad) saves a file as "Unicode text",
            it's usually UTF-16le with BOM, which means that the first two bytes are
            FF FE and that after that, even bytes are often null bytes.

            Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.

          • T.P.S.Nakagawa
            Message 5 of 25 , May 5, 2008
              Sorry, Tony.

              But I pleasure of report next thing of this problem.

              > If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
              > three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32

              Oh yes. I delete 2 bytes , that displayed in unix UTF-8 console.
              But by shown "od -xc" command, notepad attach 3 bytes of BOM. sorry.

              Then, I report more deep for this problem.
              Vim read UTF-8 + BOM , if fileencodings setted, allways display by UTF-8.
              so Windows Japanese version ( must display cp932 )
              so unix console setted ja_JP.eucJP.

              That's all of reason , bad display.

              I read 1 hour sources, around *p_fencs setting, but I sleeped.
              It's hard of read part of big source.

              Best regard, by yaemon.

              P.S. now, download page of libiconv is
              http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/misc/libiconv

              Message 6 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                On 06/05/08 04:58, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
                > Sorry, Tony.
                >
                > But I pleasure of report next thing of this problem.

                > > If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
                > > three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32
                >
                > Oh yes. I delete 2 bytes , that displayed in unix UTF-8 console.
                > But by shown "od -xc" command, notepad attach 3 bytes of BOM. sorry.
                >

                > Then, I report more deep for this problem.
                > Vim read UTF-8 + BOM , if fileencodings setted, allways display by UTF-8.
                > so Windows Japanese version ( must display cp932 )
                > so unix console setted ja_JP.eucJP.

                If your 'fileencodings' starts with "ucs-bom", Vim ought to detect
                correctly any Unicode encoding when there is a BOM without interfering
                with the detection of other encodings, unless they may start with one or
                more of the following codes and contain not a single invalid byte (or
                invalid sequence of bytes) for the corresponding Unicode encoding (I
                know that many combinations of bytes higher than 0x7F are invalid in
                UTF-8; I'm less sure about the other):

                EF BB BF UTF-8
                FE FF UTF-16be
                FF FE UTF-16le
                00 00 FE FF UTF-32be
                FF FE 00 00 UTF-32le

                Notice that Vim (and any other program with BOM detection) may "guess
                wrong" if a file in UTF-16le with BOM starts with a NULL; but I suppose
                that such a case is so rare it may be safely ignored.

                Notes:
                - Even if editing cp932 files, you may set 'encoding' to utf-8
                - In GUI mode, anything that 'encoding' can represent, can be displayed
                if your 'guifont' has a glyph for it. Characters for which your
                'guifont' has no glyph may be represented by a "placeholder" question
                mark or hollow box etc.; but if you use the GTK2 GUI (X11 only, thus not
                on Windows) it may, in some cases, be clever enough to find an
                appropriate glyph in a different font.
                - Even if your terminal display is set to accept cp932 output, you may
                still set 'encoding' to utf-8 in Console mode if 'termencoding' is set
                to cp932, but of course in that case if you edit Unicode (or other
                non-cp932) files containing characters which cannot be represented in
                cp932, you will get a "placeholder" display (possibly a question mark or
                a hollow box) at that position even though the actual contents of the
                file are correct.
                - The above applies also, of course, with "cp932" replaced everywhere by
                "euc-jp".

                > That's all of reason , bad display.
                >
                > I read 1 hour sources, around *p_fencs setting, but I sleeped.
                > It's hard of read part of big source.

                Yes, especially when you're lacking sleep. ;-)

                > Best regard, by yaemon.
                >

                > P.S. now, download page of libiconv is
                > http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/misc/libiconv
                > --
                > NAKAGAWA Tsuneo (a.k.a. yaemon ) mailto:yaemon@...
                > Web site ( Japanese ony ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

                "The Good Ship Enterprise" (to the tune of "The Good Ship Lollipop")

                On the good ship Enterprise
                Every week there's a new surprise
                Where the Romulans lurk
                And the Klingons often go berserk.

                Yes, the good ship Enterprise
                There's excitement anywhere it flies
                Where Tribbles play
                And Nurse Chapel never gets her way.

                See Captain Kirk standing on the bridge,
                Mr. Spock is at his side.
                The weekly menace, ooh-ooh
                It gets fried, scattered far and wide.

                It's the good ship Enterprise
                Heading out where danger lies
                And you live in dread
                If you're wearing a shirt that's red.
                -- Doris Robin and Karen Trimble of The L.A. Filkharmonics

              • T.P.S.Nakagawa
                Message 7 of 25 , May 7, 2008
                  Thanks all.

                  > If your 'fileencodings' starts with "ucs-bom", Vim ought to detect
                  > correctly any Unicode encoding when there is a BOM without interfering
                  > with the detection of other encodings, unless they may start with one or
                  > more of the following codes and contain not a single invalid byte (or
                  > invalid sequence of bytes) for the corresponding Unicode encoding (I
                  > know that many combinations of bytes higher than 0x7F are invalid in
                  > UTF-8; I'm less sure about the other):

                  Oh!? Did I forget write?
                  After libiconv version up to 1.11 , Vim detect all time correct charset.
                  ( If I confidence "set fileencoding?" )

                  And, if I wrote in _vimrc "set fileencodings=" ( set null string ),
                  or started by ucs-bomb,
                  or overwrite by "set fileencodings=ucs-bomb" ( that's default of Win32),
                  at all case gvim try diaplay by UTF-8.

                  Is it only Windows Japanese version's ?
                  By latin-1 charset, if you wrote (c) _copyright by one character_ or accent + e
                  by notepad and save by UTF-8, gvim display as you want?

                  Best regard, by yaemon