Re: Unicode conversion bug?

    Message 1 of 25 , May 3, 2008
      On 04/05/08 03:06, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
      > Thank you Tony.

      > >> O.K. I install all GnuWin32 and add path to it's bin.
      > >> I erase old iconv.dll, result of all test pattern is same to old iconv.dll.
      > >
      > > Make sure to have iconv.dll (and possibly all GnuWin32 executables) in
      > > the PATH (which, on Windows, is a semicolon-separated list). How to set
      > > that depends on your Windows version. IIRC, in XP it is at "Control
      > > Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables" or something similar.
      >
      > Oh , Yes. ( My english is too poor, but not begenner of PC )
      >
      > I see :fileencodings on gvim , and my _vimrc set
      >
      > > if has('iconv')
      > > set
      > fileencodings=ascii,iso-2022-jp,utf-8,euc-jp,utf-16,cp932,java,ucs-2-internal,euc-jis0213,utf-16,ISO-8859-1
      > > endif
      >
      > if not path success, `:fileencodings?` will return another value, is'not it?
      >

      > best regards,
      > Nakagawa, a.k.a yaemon

      Yes, a Vim build compiled with +iconv/dyn will act as -iconv
      (has("iconv") == 0) if it cannot establish contact with _any_ iconv.dll
      so the other ":if" branch will be followed, and ":set fileencodings?"
      (not ":fileencodings" which returns an error) will display a different
      value.

      That 'fileencodings' setting makes me wonder:
      - Shouldn't it start with "ucs-bom" to detect those Unicode files which
      have a BOM?
      - Can "ascii" give a fail signal (doesn't Vim treat it as an alias for
      "latin1")? -- If it can, then it's OK there, but otherwise not.
      - What is "ucs-2-internal"? Won't it be detected as "utf-16" (which is a
      superset of UCS-2) by the "utf-16" entry three steps earlier?
      - Why is "utf-16" mentioned twice? (The second entry does no harm, but
      will never be used.)
      - Won't you ever receive UCS-2/UTF-16 files in little-endian ordering
      (which is standard on Intel ix86 and therefore on Windows)?

      If everybody minded their own business, the world would go
      around a deal faster.
      -- The Duchess, "Through the Looking Glass"

    • T.P.S.Nakagawa
      Message 2 of 25 , May 3, 2008
        Sorry every typo and send my dirty setting by historical reason.

        > That 'fileencodings' setting makes me wonder:
        > - Shouldn't it start with "ucs-bom" to detect those Unicode files which
        > have a BOM?
        > - Can "ascii" give a fail signal (doesn't Vim treat it as an alias for
        > "latin1")? -- If it can, then it's OK there, but otherwise not.
        > - What is "ucs-2-internal"? Won't it be detected as "utf-16" (which is a
        > superset of UCS-2) by the "utf-16" entry three steps earlier?
        > - Why is "utf-16" mentioned twice? (The second entry does no harm, but
        > will never be used.)
        > - Won't you ever receive UCS-2/UTF-16 files in little-endian ordering
        > (which is standard on Intel ix86 and therefore on Windows)?

        Thank you. I correct this sort.

        > set
        fileencodings=ascii,iso-2022-jp,utf-8,euc-jp,java,utf-16,ucs-bomb,cp932,utf-16LE,euc-jis0213,ISO-8859-1

        First is "ascii" , that's my intention.
        ( Is it really alias of latin1? latin1 have another code of ascii ).

        If not exist this first, all ascii code ( ex. programming source ) detected
        iso-2022-jp and Can't add multibyte comment by UTF-8.

        I have a trick in this.

        ----- last of vimrc -------
        if has( 'autocmd' )
        source $HOME/.vim/mine/filetype.vim " about filetype
        source $HOME/.vim/mine/encode.vim " about encoding to save
        endif

        ------ cat encode.vim -----
        " $Id: encode.vim,v 1.6 2007/11/08 05:03:18 yaemon Exp $
        " set fileencode to save
        "

        :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.jis set fileencoding=iso-2022-jp
        :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.sjis set fileencoding=shift-jis
        :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.euc-jp set fileencoding=euc-jp
        :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.mozex set fileencoding=utf-8
        :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.elm set fileencoding=utf-8
        :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead cddbread.* set fileencoding=utf-8

        :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead * call s:DefaultSaveCode()

        function s:DefaultSaveCode()
        if ( ( &fileencoding == "" ) || ( &fileencoding == "ascii" ) )
        let &fileencoding = "utf-8"
        endif
        endfunction
        ----------------------------------

        Isn't is elegant for add UTF-8 to ascii file?

        Best, Best, regard
        yaemon

        --
        NAKAGAWA Tsuneo (a.k.a. yaemon ) mailto:yaemon@...
        Web site ( Japanese ony ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

      • T.P.S.Nakagawa
        Message 3 of 25 , May 4, 2008
          Good morning ( it's 8:25 in Japan )

          > I think, in this time, return to need install new version of iconv.dll for
          > Windows.
          >
          > My Win box is too poor.
          > If I try, need cross compile on Free BSD box. But I didn't try cross compile, too.

          Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
          by cross compile on unix box, mingw32.

          If you try this, please get here
          http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/mingw/libiconv-1.12-mingw.zip

          ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(

          Best regard

          Message 4 of 25 , May 5, 2008
            Hello

            > Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
            <>
            > ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(

            I see!

            On Windows XP, file encoding detect success or not, gvim can't display
            UTF8 + BOM, if &fileencodings setted.

            lush-up way is that.

            :set binary
            2x
            :set fenc=
            :w
            :set nobinary
            :e!

            cursed notepad!
            but isn't it bug of gvim?

            regard

            Message 5 of 25 , May 5, 2008
              On 05/05/08 09:17, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
              > Hello

              > > Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
              > <>
              > > ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(
              >
              > I see!
              >
              > On Windows XP, file encoding detect success or not, gvim can't display
              > UTF8 + BOM, if&fileencodings setted.
              >

              > lush-up way is that.
              >
              > :set binary
              > 2x
              > :set fenc=
              > :w
              > :set nobinary
              > :e!
              >

              > cursed notepad!
              > but isn't it bug of gvim?
              >

              > regard

              If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
              three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32
              BOM is four bytes. If there was a two-byte BOM on a UTF-8 file, it's a
              bug in the program which produced that file.

              When a Windows program (such as WordPad) saves a file as "Unicode text",
              it's usually UTF-16le with BOM, which means that the first two bytes are
              FF FE and that after that, even bytes are often null bytes.

              Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.

            • T.P.S.Nakagawa
              Message 6 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                Sorry, Tony.

                But I pleasure of report next thing of this problem.

                > If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
                > three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32

                Oh yes. I delete 2 bytes , that displayed in unix UTF-8 console.
                But by shown "od -xc" command, notepad attach 3 bytes of BOM. sorry.

                Then, I report more deep for this problem.
                Vim read UTF-8 + BOM , if fileencodings setted, allways display by UTF-8.
                so Windows Japanese version ( must display cp932 )
                so unix console setted ja_JP.eucJP.

                That's all of reason , bad display.

                I read 1 hour sources, around *p_fencs setting, but I sleeped.
                It's hard of read part of big source.

                Best regard, by yaemon.

                P.S. now, download page of libiconv is
                http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/misc/libiconv

                Message 7 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                  On 06/05/08 04:58, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
                  > Sorry, Tony.
                  >
                  > But I pleasure of report next thing of this problem.

                  > > If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
                  > > three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32
                  >
                  > Oh yes. I delete 2 bytes , that displayed in unix UTF-8 console.
                  > But by shown "od -xc" command, notepad attach 3 bytes of BOM. sorry.
                  >

                  > Then, I report more deep for this problem.
                  > Vim read UTF-8 + BOM , if fileencodings setted, allways display by UTF-8.
                  > so Windows Japanese version ( must display cp932 )
                  > so unix console setted ja_JP.eucJP.

                  If your 'fileencodings' starts with "ucs-bom", Vim ought to detect
                  correctly any Unicode encoding when there is a BOM without interfering
                  with the detection of other encodings, unless they may start with one or
                  more of the following codes and contain not a single invalid byte (or
                  invalid sequence of bytes) for the corresponding Unicode encoding (I
                  know that many combinations of bytes higher than 0x7F are invalid in
                  UTF-8; I'm less sure about the other):

                  EF BB BF UTF-8
                  FE FF UTF-16be
                  FF FE UTF-16le
                  00 00 FE FF UTF-32be
                  FF FE 00 00 UTF-32le

                  Notice that Vim (and any other program with BOM detection) may "guess
                  wrong" if a file in UTF-16le with BOM starts with a NULL; but I suppose
                  that such a case is so rare it may be safely ignored.

                  Notes:
                  - Even if editing cp932 files, you may set 'encoding' to utf-8
                  - In GUI mode, anything that 'encoding' can represent, can be displayed
                  if your 'guifont' has a glyph for it. Characters for which your
                  'guifont' has no glyph may be represented by a "placeholder" question
                  mark or hollow box etc.; but if you use the GTK2 GUI (X11 only, thus not
                  on Windows) it may, in some cases, be clever enough to find an
                  appropriate glyph in a different font.
                  - Even if your terminal display is set to accept cp932 output, you may
                  still set 'encoding' to utf-8 in Console mode if 'termencoding' is set
                  to cp932, but of course in that case if you edit Unicode (or other
                  non-cp932) files containing characters which cannot be represented in
                  cp932, you will get a "placeholder" display (possibly a question mark or
                  a hollow box) at that position even though the actual contents of the
                  file are correct.
                  - The above applies also, of course, with "cp932" replaced everywhere by
                  "euc-jp".

                  > That's all of reason , bad display.
                  >
                  > I read 1 hour sources, around *p_fencs setting, but I sleeped.
                  > It's hard of read part of big source.

                  Yes, especially when you're lacking sleep. ;-)

                  > Best regard, by yaemon.
                  >

                  > P.S. now, download page of libiconv is
                  > http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/misc/libiconv
                  > --
                  > NAKAGAWA Tsuneo (a.k.a. yaemon ) mailto:yaemon@...
                  > Web site ( Japanese ony ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

                  "The Good Ship Enterprise" (to the tune of "The Good Ship Lollipop")

                  On the good ship Enterprise
                  Every week there's a new surprise
                  Where the Romulans lurk
                  And the Klingons often go berserk.

                  Yes, the good ship Enterprise
                  There's excitement anywhere it flies
                  Where Tribbles play
                  And Nurse Chapel never gets her way.

                  See Captain Kirk standing on the bridge,
                  Mr. Spock is at his side.
                  The weekly menace, ooh-ooh
                  It gets fried, scattered far and wide.

                  It's the good ship Enterprise
                  Heading out where danger lies
                  And you live in dread
                  If you're wearing a shirt that's red.
                  -- Doris Robin and Karen Trimble of The L.A. Filkharmonics

                • T.P.S.Nakagawa
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 7, 2008
                    Thanks all.

                    > If your 'fileencodings' starts with "ucs-bom", Vim ought to detect
                    > correctly any Unicode encoding when there is a BOM without interfering
                    > with the detection of other encodings, unless they may start with one or
                    > more of the following codes and contain not a single invalid byte (or
                    > invalid sequence of bytes) for the corresponding Unicode encoding (I
                    > know that many combinations of bytes higher than 0x7F are invalid in
                    > UTF-8; I'm less sure about the other):

                    Oh!? Did I forget write?
                    After libiconv version up to 1.11 , Vim detect all time correct charset.
                    ( If I confidence "set fileencoding?" )

                    And, if I wrote in _vimrc "set fileencodings=" ( set null string ),
                    or started by ucs-bomb,
                    or overwrite by "set fileencodings=ucs-bomb" ( that's default of Win32),
                    at all case gvim try diaplay by UTF-8.

                    Is it only Windows Japanese version's ?
                    By latin-1 charset, if you wrote (c) _copyright by one character_ or accent + e
                    by notepad and save by UTF-8, gvim display as you want?

                    Best regard, by yaemon