Re: Unicode conversion bug?

    Message 1 of 25 , May 2, 2008
      On 02/05/08 10:17, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
      [...]
      > Sorry , I did't try by gvim on Windows ( downloaded, version 7.1 / 2007 May 12
      > compiled by Mr. Bram ) + related by http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
      > old version sourceforge libiconv for Win32
      > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=25167&package_id=51458
      > ( Release 1.9.1 / January 14 2004 )

      This is 7.1.000. I recommend the updated Vim and gvim compiled by Steve
      Hall (currently 7.1.293), obtainable from
      https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
      . It has +iconv/dyn, its full ":version" text can be seen by clicking on
      the word "Notes" or the clipboard-like icon next to the version number
      on that same page.

      > on unix ( FreeBSD 5-stable ), with libiconv version 1.11 (+ OS patch 1 )
      > same (.|_)vimrc file, console vim can detect UTF-8 + BOM by notepad.
      > ( vim version is self compile by cvs source 2007 July 31, he say version 7.1.147 )
      >

      > Someone compile libiconv ver 1.11 or later for Win 32 platform?
      > ( I tried 6 month ago, and I fail and busy )

      Libiconv 1.9.2 is available precompiled from GnuWin32 from the page
      http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libiconv.htm . This is one
      sub-sub-level above what you already have -- you might try using this
      until or unless you succeed to get (or make) a later version. Since
      Steve Hall's builds include +iconv/dyn and the "Compilation" and
      "Linking" parts of its ":version" text mention no iconv version, I
      suppose upgrading iconv (if and when) means simply dropping the DLL over
      the former version (in the PATH or in $VIMRUNTIME). I expect, though,
      that upgrading Vim (see above) will be more important than upgrading iconv.

      Libiconv 1.12 is distributed in source form at
      http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv/libiconv-1.12.tar.gz but I suppose
      these sources are meant primarily for Unix -- I don't know what
      adaptations (if any) might be necessary to build a Windows DLL from them.

      The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capacity
      -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

    • T.P.S.Nakagawa
      Message 2 of 25 , May 3, 2008
        Thank you Tony, and excuse me too late reply.

        >> Someone compile libiconv ver 1.11 or later for Win 32 platform?
        >> ( I tried 6 month ago, and I fail and busy )
        >>

        > Libiconv 1.9.2 is available precompiled from GnuWin32 from the page

        O.K. I install all GnuWin32 and add path to it's bin.
        I erase old iconv.dll, result of all test pattern is same to old iconv.dll.

        # And Thank you webmaster of http://www.vim.org/ (is Mr. Bram? ) to link change.

        > This is 7.1.000. I recommend the updated Vim and gvim compiled by Steve
        > Hall (currently 7.1.293), obtainable from
        > https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721

        Next, I upgrade vim to 7.1.293.
        result of all test pattern is same :-(

        I think, in this time, return to need install new version of iconv.dll for
        Windows.

        My Win box is too poor.
        If I try, need cross compile on Free BSD box. But I didn't try cross compile, too.

        Best regards,
        Nakagawa, a.k.a. yaemon

        --
        Nakagawa Tsuneo mailto:yaemon@...
        Web site ( Jpanese only ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

        Message 3 of 25 , May 3, 2008
          On 03/05/08 20:30, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
          > Thank you Tony, and excuse me too late reply.

          No problem.

          [...]
          > > Libiconv 1.9.2 is available precompiled from GnuWin32 from the page
          >
          > O.K. I install all GnuWin32 and add path to it's bin.
          > I erase old iconv.dll, result of all test pattern is same to old iconv.dll.

          Make sure to have iconv.dll (and possibly all GnuWin32 executables) in
          the PATH (which, on Windows, is a semicolon-separated list). How to set
          that depends on your Windows version. IIRC, in XP it is at "Control
          Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables" or something similar.

          > # And Thank you webmaster of http://www.vim.org/ (is Mr. Bram? ) to link change.
          [...]

          I think it is Bram, yes.

          "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the
          great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
          -- Winston Churchill

        • T.P.S.Nakagawa
          Message 4 of 25 , May 3, 2008
            Thank you Tony.

            >> > Libiconv 1.9.2 is available precompiled from GnuWin32 from the page
            >>
            >> O.K. I install all GnuWin32 and add path to it's bin.
            >> I erase old iconv.dll, result of all test pattern is same to old iconv.dll.
            >
            > Make sure to have iconv.dll (and possibly all GnuWin32 executables) in
            > the PATH (which, on Windows, is a semicolon-separated list). How to set
            > that depends on your Windows version. IIRC, in XP it is at "Control
            > Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables" or something similar.

            Oh , Yes. ( My english is too poor, but not begenner of PC )

            I see :fileencodings on gvim , and my _vimrc set

            > if has('iconv')
            > set
            fileencodings=ascii,iso-2022-jp,utf-8,euc-jp,utf-16,cp932,java,ucs-2-internal,euc-jis0213,utf-16,ISO-8859-1
            > endif

            if not path success, `:fileencodings?` will return another value, is'not it?

            best regards,
            Nakagawa, a.k.a yaemon

            --
            NAKAGAWA Tsuneo mailto:yaemon@...
            Web site ( Japanese ony ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

            Message 5 of 25 , May 3, 2008
              On 04/05/08 03:06, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
              > Thank you Tony.

              > >> O.K. I install all GnuWin32 and add path to it's bin.
              > >> I erase old iconv.dll, result of all test pattern is same to old iconv.dll.
              > >
              > > Make sure to have iconv.dll (and possibly all GnuWin32 executables) in
              > > the PATH (which, on Windows, is a semicolon-separated list). How to set
              > > that depends on your Windows version. IIRC, in XP it is at "Control
              > > Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables" or something similar.
              >
              > Oh , Yes. ( My english is too poor, but not begenner of PC )
              >
              > I see :fileencodings on gvim , and my _vimrc set
              >
              > > if has('iconv')
              > > set
              > fileencodings=ascii,iso-2022-jp,utf-8,euc-jp,utf-16,cp932,java,ucs-2-internal,euc-jis0213,utf-16,ISO-8859-1
              > > endif
              >
              > if not path success, `:fileencodings?` will return another value, is'not it?
              >

              > best regards,
              > Nakagawa, a.k.a yaemon

              Yes, a Vim build compiled with +iconv/dyn will act as -iconv
              (has("iconv") == 0) if it cannot establish contact with _any_ iconv.dll
              so the other ":if" branch will be followed, and ":set fileencodings?"
              (not ":fileencodings" which returns an error) will display a different
              value.

              That 'fileencodings' setting makes me wonder:
              - Shouldn't it start with "ucs-bom" to detect those Unicode files which
              have a BOM?
              - Can "ascii" give a fail signal (doesn't Vim treat it as an alias for
              "latin1")? -- If it can, then it's OK there, but otherwise not.
              - What is "ucs-2-internal"? Won't it be detected as "utf-16" (which is a
              superset of UCS-2) by the "utf-16" entry three steps earlier?
              - Why is "utf-16" mentioned twice? (The second entry does no harm, but
              will never be used.)
              - Won't you ever receive UCS-2/UTF-16 files in little-endian ordering
              (which is standard on Intel ix86 and therefore on Windows)?

              If everybody minded their own business, the world would go
              around a deal faster.
              -- The Duchess, "Through the Looking Glass"

            • T.P.S.Nakagawa
              Message 6 of 25 , May 3, 2008
                Sorry every typo and send my dirty setting by historical reason.

                > That 'fileencodings' setting makes me wonder:
                > - Shouldn't it start with "ucs-bom" to detect those Unicode files which
                > have a BOM?
                > - Can "ascii" give a fail signal (doesn't Vim treat it as an alias for
                > "latin1")? -- If it can, then it's OK there, but otherwise not.
                > - What is "ucs-2-internal"? Won't it be detected as "utf-16" (which is a
                > superset of UCS-2) by the "utf-16" entry three steps earlier?
                > - Why is "utf-16" mentioned twice? (The second entry does no harm, but
                > will never be used.)
                > - Won't you ever receive UCS-2/UTF-16 files in little-endian ordering
                > (which is standard on Intel ix86 and therefore on Windows)?

                Thank you. I correct this sort.

                > set
                fileencodings=ascii,iso-2022-jp,utf-8,euc-jp,java,utf-16,ucs-bomb,cp932,utf-16LE,euc-jis0213,ISO-8859-1

                First is "ascii" , that's my intention.
                ( Is it really alias of latin1? latin1 have another code of ascii ).

                If not exist this first, all ascii code ( ex. programming source ) detected
                iso-2022-jp and Can't add multibyte comment by UTF-8.

                I have a trick in this.

                ----- last of vimrc -------
                if has( 'autocmd' )
                source $HOME/.vim/mine/filetype.vim " about filetype
                source $HOME/.vim/mine/encode.vim " about encoding to save
                endif

                ------ cat encode.vim -----
                " $Id: encode.vim,v 1.6 2007/11/08 05:03:18 yaemon Exp $
                " set fileencode to save
                "

                :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.jis set fileencoding=iso-2022-jp
                :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.sjis set fileencoding=shift-jis
                :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.euc-jp set fileencoding=euc-jp
                :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.mozex set fileencoding=utf-8
                :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.elm set fileencoding=utf-8
                :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead cddbread.* set fileencoding=utf-8

                :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead * call s:DefaultSaveCode()

                function s:DefaultSaveCode()
                if ( ( &fileencoding == "" ) || ( &fileencoding == "ascii" ) )
                let &fileencoding = "utf-8"
                endif
                endfunction
                ----------------------------------

                Isn't is elegant for add UTF-8 to ascii file?

                Best, Best, regard
                yaemon

                --
                NAKAGAWA Tsuneo (a.k.a. yaemon ) mailto:yaemon@...

                Message 7 of 25 , May 4, 2008
                  Good morning ( it's 8:25 in Japan )

                  > I think, in this time, return to need install new version of iconv.dll for
                  > Windows.
                  >
                  > My Win box is too poor.
                  > If I try, need cross compile on Free BSD box. But I didn't try cross compile, too.

                  Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
                  by cross compile on unix box, mingw32.

                  If you try this, please get here
                  http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/mingw/libiconv-1.12-mingw.zip

                  ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(

                  Best regard

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                    Hello

                    > Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
                    <>
                    > ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(

                    I see!

                    On Windows XP, file encoding detect success or not, gvim can't display
                    UTF8 + BOM, if &fileencodings setted.

                    lush-up way is that.

                    :set binary
                    2x
                    :set fenc=
                    :w
                    :set nobinary
                    :e!

                    cursed notepad!
                    but isn't it bug of gvim?

                    regard

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                      On 05/05/08 09:17, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
                      > Hello

                      > > Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
                      > <>
                      > > ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(
                      >
                      > I see!
                      >
                      > On Windows XP, file encoding detect success or not, gvim can't display
                      > UTF8 + BOM, if&fileencodings setted.
                      >

                      > lush-up way is that.
                      >
                      > :set binary
                      > 2x
                      > :set fenc=
                      > :w
                      > :set nobinary
                      > :e!
                      >

                      > cursed notepad!
                      > but isn't it bug of gvim?
                      >

                      > regard

                      If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
                      three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32
                      BOM is four bytes. If there was a two-byte BOM on a UTF-8 file, it's a
                      bug in the program which produced that file.

                      When a Windows program (such as WordPad) saves a file as "Unicode text",
                      it's usually UTF-16le with BOM, which means that the first two bytes are
                      FF FE and that after that, even bytes are often null bytes.

                      Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.

                    • T.P.S.Nakagawa
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                        Sorry, Tony.

                        But I pleasure of report next thing of this problem.

                        > If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
                        > three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32

                        Oh yes. I delete 2 bytes , that displayed in unix UTF-8 console.
                        But by shown "od -xc" command, notepad attach 3 bytes of BOM. sorry.

                        Then, I report more deep for this problem.
                        Vim read UTF-8 + BOM , if fileencodings setted, allways display by UTF-8.
                        so Windows Japanese version ( must display cp932 )
                        so unix console setted ja_JP.eucJP.

                        That's all of reason , bad display.

                        I read 1 hour sources, around *p_fencs setting, but I sleeped.
                        It's hard of read part of big source.

                        Best regard, by yaemon.

                        P.S. now, download page of libiconv is
                        http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/misc/libiconv

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                          On 06/05/08 04:58, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
                          > Sorry, Tony.
                          >
                          > But I pleasure of report next thing of this problem.

                          > > If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
                          > > three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32
                          >
                          > Oh yes. I delete 2 bytes , that displayed in unix UTF-8 console.
                          > But by shown "od -xc" command, notepad attach 3 bytes of BOM. sorry.
                          >

                          > Then, I report more deep for this problem.
                          > Vim read UTF-8 + BOM , if fileencodings setted, allways display by UTF-8.
                          > so Windows Japanese version ( must display cp932 )
                          > so unix console setted ja_JP.eucJP.

                          If your 'fileencodings' starts with "ucs-bom", Vim ought to detect
                          correctly any Unicode encoding when there is a BOM without interfering
                          with the detection of other encodings, unless they may start with one or
                          more of the following codes and contain not a single invalid byte (or
                          invalid sequence of bytes) for the corresponding Unicode encoding (I
                          know that many combinations of bytes higher than 0x7F are invalid in
                          UTF-8; I'm less sure about the other):

                          EF BB BF UTF-8
                          FE FF UTF-16be
                          FF FE UTF-16le
                          00 00 FE FF UTF-32be
                          FF FE 00 00 UTF-32le

                          Notice that Vim (and any other program with BOM detection) may "guess
                          wrong" if a file in UTF-16le with BOM starts with a NULL; but I suppose
                          that such a case is so rare it may be safely ignored.

                          Notes:
                          - Even if editing cp932 files, you may set 'encoding' to utf-8
                          - In GUI mode, anything that 'encoding' can represent, can be displayed
                          if your 'guifont' has a glyph for it. Characters for which your
                          'guifont' has no glyph may be represented by a "placeholder" question
                          mark or hollow box etc.; but if you use the GTK2 GUI (X11 only, thus not
                          on Windows) it may, in some cases, be clever enough to find an
                          appropriate glyph in a different font.
                          - Even if your terminal display is set to accept cp932 output, you may
                          still set 'encoding' to utf-8 in Console mode if 'termencoding' is set
                          to cp932, but of course in that case if you edit Unicode (or other
                          non-cp932) files containing characters which cannot be represented in
                          cp932, you will get a "placeholder" display (possibly a question mark or
                          a hollow box) at that position even though the actual contents of the
                          file are correct.
                          - The above applies also, of course, with "cp932" replaced everywhere by
                          "euc-jp".

                          > That's all of reason , bad display.
                          >
                          > I read 1 hour sources, around *p_fencs setting, but I sleeped.
                          > It's hard of read part of big source.

                          Yes, especially when you're lacking sleep. ;-)

                          > Best regard, by yaemon.
                          >

                          > P.S. now, download page of libiconv is
                          > http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/misc/libiconv
                          > --
                          > NAKAGAWA Tsuneo (a.k.a. yaemon ) mailto:yaemon@...
                          > Web site ( Japanese ony ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

                          "The Good Ship Enterprise" (to the tune of "The Good Ship Lollipop")

                          On the good ship Enterprise
                          Every week there's a new surprise
                          Where the Romulans lurk
                          And the Klingons often go berserk.

                          Yes, the good ship Enterprise
                          There's excitement anywhere it flies
                          Where Tribbles play
                          And Nurse Chapel never gets her way.

                          See Captain Kirk standing on the bridge,
                          Mr. Spock is at his side.
                          The weekly menace, ooh-ooh
                          It gets fried, scattered far and wide.

                          It's the good ship Enterprise
                          Heading out where danger lies
                          And you live in dread
                          If you're wearing a shirt that's red.
                          -- Doris Robin and Karen Trimble of The L.A. Filkharmonics

                        • T.P.S.Nakagawa
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 7, 2008
                            Thanks all.

                            > If your 'fileencodings' starts with "ucs-bom", Vim ought to detect
                            > correctly any Unicode encoding when there is a BOM without interfering
                            > with the detection of other encodings, unless they may start with one or
                            > more of the following codes and contain not a single invalid byte (or
                            > invalid sequence of bytes) for the corresponding Unicode encoding (I
                            > know that many combinations of bytes higher than 0x7F are invalid in
                            > UTF-8; I'm less sure about the other):

                            Oh!? Did I forget write?
                            After libiconv version up to 1.11 , Vim detect all time correct charset.
                            ( If I confidence "set fileencoding?" )

                            And, if I wrote in _vimrc "set fileencodings=" ( set null string ),
                            or started by ucs-bomb,
                            or overwrite by "set fileencodings=ucs-bomb" ( that's default of Win32),
                            at all case gvim try diaplay by UTF-8.

                            Is it only Windows Japanese version's ?
                            By latin-1 charset, if you wrote (c) _copyright by one character_ or accent + e
                            by notepad and save by UTF-8, gvim display as you want?

                            Best regard, by yaemon