how to avoid GVIM lose syntax highlighting when multi-buffer/ multi-tab editing?

  • za
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 14, 2008
      Did you come upon this kind of trouble?

      my GVIM lose syntax hightlighting oftenly.
      especially when I switch to another tab or buffer
      I checked the plugins i used for filetypes or global, no extras besides
      native things there, or maybe I once put in and then forgot?

      by the way, I always edit .html, php, .c, .java files in same time, this
      seems to heavy the problem, which is really boreing to type ":syntax on
      " or even shorthand every minute. :(

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 14, 2008
        > Did you come upon this kind of trouble?
        >
        > my GVIM lose syntax hightlighting oftenly.
        > especially when I switch to another tab or buffer
        > I checked the plugins i used for filetypes or global, no extras
        > besides
        > native things there, or maybe I once put in and then forgot?
        >
        > by the way, I always edit .html, php, .c, .java files in same time,
        > this
        > seems to heavy the problem, which is really boreing to type
        > ":syntax on
        > " or even shorthand every minute. :(

        Which platform are you using? Does it also happen if you start vim
        with `gvim -u NONE -U NONE`? That prevents that your .vimrc file is
        loaded.

        You can use `:verbose set syntax` to see where 'syntax' was modified
        the last time. Perhaps this gives you a hint.

        HTH,
        Nico

      • za
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 23, 2008
          Thanks for the comments, I think this will be a long-term question to
          find the answer.
          the platform is Linux/ubuntu 7.10 desktop with ZH_CN.UTF-8 locale
          The gvim is start from console without parameters.

          the output of :verbose set syntax is:
          syntax=xhtml
          最近修改于 /usr/share/vim/vim71/syntax/syntax.vim

          when i lost syntax, i am editing HTML file contain javascript

          在 2008-03-14五的 16:10 +0100,Nico Weber写道:
          > > Did you come upon this kind of trouble?
          > >
          > > my GVIM lose syntax hightlighting oftenly.
          > > especially when I switch to another tab or buffer
          > > I checked the plugins i used for filetypes or global, no extras
          > > besides
          > > native things there, or maybe I once put in and then forgot?
          > >
          > > by the way, I always edit .html, php, .c, .java files in same time,
          > > this
          > > seems to heavy the problem, which is really boreing to type
          > > ":syntax on
          > > " or even shorthand every minute. :(
          >
          > Which platform are you using? Does it also happen if you start vim
          > with `gvim -u NONE -U NONE`? That prevents that your .vimrc file is
          > loaded.
          >
          > You can use `:verbose set syntax` to see where 'syntax' was modified
          > the last time. Perhaps this gives you a hint.
          >
          > HTH,
          > Nico

        • T.P.S.Nakagawa
          Message 4 of 25 , May 1, 2008
            This is Nakagawa, Japanese user on unix and Windows XP SP2.

            ( Windows Japanese version's native character set is cp932 )

            I found same problem 30 April, another way.
            ( I did'n t read this ML usually )

            I found.

            Windows notepad can read no-bomb UTF-8 file, but if edited or created
            file is saved with bomb.

            By unicode consocium standard, UTF-8 file can added bomb.
            but UTF-8 not need bomb.

            Vim use libiconv by FSF.
            I search on unix platform, `man iconv_open`, libiconv don't know
            UTF-8 with bomb. Then, libiconv can't detect UTF-8 with bomb.
            this is problem of libiconv, not Vim, by strict logic.

            In this reason, In my vimrc set filencodings sorted earlier UTF-8 than cp932
            but notepad saved file detected cp932.

            On justice way, We have to patch to libiconv, add UTF-8 bomb.
            But Can't save this weak point by Vim side?

            --
            Nakagawa Tsuneo mailto:yaemon@...
            Web site ( Jpanese only ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

            Message 5 of 25 , May 1, 2008
              On 02/05/08 03:29, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
              > This is Nakagawa, Japanese user on unix and Windows XP SP2.
              >
              > ( Windows Japanese version's native character set is cp932 )
              >

              > I found same problem 30 April, another way.
              > ( I did'n t read this ML usually )
              >

              > I found.
              >
              > Windows notepad can read no-bomb UTF-8 file, but if edited or created
              > file is saved with bomb.
              >
              > By unicode consocium standard, UTF-8 file can added bomb.
              > but UTF-8 not need bomb.
              >

              > Vim use libiconv by FSF.
              > I search on unix platform, `man iconv_open`, libiconv don't know
              > UTF-8 with bomb. Then, libiconv can't detect UTF-8 with bomb.
              > this is problem of libiconv, not Vim, by strict logic.
              >

              > In this reason, In my vimrc set filencodings sorted earlier UTF-8 than cp932
              > but notepad saved file detected cp932.
              >
              > On justice way, We have to patch to libiconv, add UTF-8 bomb.
              > But Can't save this weak point by Vim side?

              The BOM is a valid codepoint, ZERO-WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE; however its use
              in that capacity is now deprecated (ZERO-WIDTH NON-JOINER is preferred
              IIUC). Still, if any software accepts UTF-8 files "only" if there is no
              BOM in them, that software cannot be called UTF-8-compliant.

              I don't know which libiconv you are using, but my version of Vim (which
              has +iconv and a GTK2/Gnome2 GUI) accepts the BOM with no problem, not
              only in UTF-16/UTF-32 but also in UTF-8.

              The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will
              walk carefully.
              -- Russian Proverb

            • T.P.S.Nakagawa
              Message 6 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                Thanks for reading my broken english, and retry and reply.

                >> Vim use libiconv by FSF.
                >> I search on unix platform, `man iconv_open`, libiconv don't know
                >> UTF-8 with bomb. Then, libiconv can't detect UTF-8 with bomb.
                >> this is problem of libiconv, not Vim, by strict logic.
                >>

                >> In this reason, In my vimrc set filencodings sorted earlier UTF-8 than cp932
                >> but notepad saved file detected cp932.
                >>
                >> On justice way, We have to patch to libiconv, add UTF-8 bomb.
                >> But Can't save this weak point by Vim side?

                <>
                > I don't know which libiconv you are using, but my version of Vim (which
                > has +iconv and a GTK2/Gnome2 GUI) accepts the BOM with no problem, not
                > only in UTF-16/UTF-32 but also in UTF-8.

                Sorry , I did't try by gvim on Windows ( downloaded, version 7.1 / 2007 May 12
                compiled by Mr. Bram ) + related by http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
                old version sourceforge libiconv for Win32
                http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=25167&package_id=51458
                ( Release 1.9.1 / January 14 2004 )

                on unix ( FreeBSD 5-stable ), with libiconv version 1.11 (+ OS patch 1 )
                same (.|_)vimrc file, console vim can detect UTF-8 + BOM by notepad.
                ( vim version is self compile by cvs source 2007 July 31, he say version 7.1.147 )

                Someone compile libiconv ver 1.11 or later for Win 32 platform?
                ( I tried 6 month ago, and I fail and busy )

                Message 7 of 25 , May 2, 2008
                  On 02/05/08 10:17, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
                  [...]
                  > Sorry , I did't try by gvim on Windows ( downloaded, version 7.1 / 2007 May 12
                  > compiled by Mr. Bram ) + related by http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
                  > old version sourceforge libiconv for Win32
                  > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=25167&package_id=51458
                  > ( Release 1.9.1 / January 14 2004 )

                  This is 7.1.000. I recommend the updated Vim and gvim compiled by Steve
                  Hall (currently 7.1.293), obtainable from
                  https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
                  . It has +iconv/dyn, its full ":version" text can be seen by clicking on
                  the word "Notes" or the clipboard-like icon next to the version number
                  on that same page.

                  > on unix ( FreeBSD 5-stable ), with libiconv version 1.11 (+ OS patch 1 )
                  > same (.|_)vimrc file, console vim can detect UTF-8 + BOM by notepad.
                  > ( vim version is self compile by cvs source 2007 July 31, he say version 7.1.147 )
                  >

                  > Someone compile libiconv ver 1.11 or later for Win 32 platform?
                  > ( I tried 6 month ago, and I fail and busy )

                  Libiconv 1.9.2 is available precompiled from GnuWin32 from the page
                  http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libiconv.htm . This is one
                  sub-sub-level above what you already have -- you might try using this
                  until or unless you succeed to get (or make) a later version. Since
                  Steve Hall's builds include +iconv/dyn and the "Compilation" and
                  "Linking" parts of its ":version" text mention no iconv version, I
                  suppose upgrading iconv (if and when) means simply dropping the DLL over
                  the former version (in the PATH or in $VIMRUNTIME). I expect, though,
                  that upgrading Vim (see above) will be more important than upgrading iconv.

                  Libiconv 1.12 is distributed in source form at
                  http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv/libiconv-1.12.tar.gz but I suppose
                  these sources are meant primarily for Unix -- I don't know what
                  adaptations (if any) might be necessary to build a Windows DLL from them.

                  The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capacity
                  -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

                • T.P.S.Nakagawa
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 3, 2008
                    Thank you Tony, and excuse me too late reply.

                    >> Someone compile libiconv ver 1.11 or later for Win 32 platform?
                    >> ( I tried 6 month ago, and I fail and busy )
                    >>

                    > Libiconv 1.9.2 is available precompiled from GnuWin32 from the page

                    O.K. I install all GnuWin32 and add path to it's bin.
                    I erase old iconv.dll, result of all test pattern is same to old iconv.dll.

                    # And Thank you webmaster of http://www.vim.org/ (is Mr. Bram? ) to link change.

                    > This is 7.1.000. I recommend the updated Vim and gvim compiled by Steve
                    > Hall (currently 7.1.293), obtainable from
                    > https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721

                    Next, I upgrade vim to 7.1.293.
                    result of all test pattern is same :-(

                    I think, in this time, return to need install new version of iconv.dll for
                    Windows.

                    My Win box is too poor.
                    If I try, need cross compile on Free BSD box. But I didn't try cross compile, too.

                    Best regards,
                    Nakagawa, a.k.a. yaemon

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 3, 2008
                      On 03/05/08 20:30, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
                      > Thank you Tony, and excuse me too late reply.

                      No problem.

                      [...]
                      > > Libiconv 1.9.2 is available precompiled from GnuWin32 from the page
                      >
                      > O.K. I install all GnuWin32 and add path to it's bin.
                      > I erase old iconv.dll, result of all test pattern is same to old iconv.dll.

                      Make sure to have iconv.dll (and possibly all GnuWin32 executables) in
                      the PATH (which, on Windows, is a semicolon-separated list). How to set
                      that depends on your Windows version. IIRC, in XP it is at "Control
                      Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables" or something similar.

                      > # And Thank you webmaster of http://www.vim.org/ (is Mr. Bram? ) to link change.
                      [...]

                      I think it is Bram, yes.

                      "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the
                      great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
                      -- Winston Churchill

                    • T.P.S.Nakagawa
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 3, 2008
                        Thank you Tony.

                        >> > Libiconv 1.9.2 is available precompiled from GnuWin32 from the page
                        >>
                        >> O.K. I install all GnuWin32 and add path to it's bin.
                        >> I erase old iconv.dll, result of all test pattern is same to old iconv.dll.
                        >
                        > Make sure to have iconv.dll (and possibly all GnuWin32 executables) in
                        > the PATH (which, on Windows, is a semicolon-separated list). How to set
                        > that depends on your Windows version. IIRC, in XP it is at "Control
                        > Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables" or something similar.

                        Oh , Yes. ( My english is too poor, but not begenner of PC )

                        I see :fileencodings on gvim , and my _vimrc set

                        > if has('iconv')
                        > set
                        fileencodings=ascii,iso-2022-jp,utf-8,euc-jp,utf-16,cp932,java,ucs-2-internal,euc-jis0213,utf-16,ISO-8859-1
                        > endif

                        if not path success, `:fileencodings?` will return another value, is'not it?

                        best regards,
                        Nakagawa, a.k.a yaemon

                        --
                        NAKAGAWA Tsuneo mailto:yaemon@...
                        Web site ( Japanese ony ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 3, 2008
                          On 04/05/08 03:06, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
                          > Thank you Tony.

                          > >> O.K. I install all GnuWin32 and add path to it's bin.
                          > >> I erase old iconv.dll, result of all test pattern is same to old iconv.dll.
                          > >
                          > > Make sure to have iconv.dll (and possibly all GnuWin32 executables) in
                          > > the PATH (which, on Windows, is a semicolon-separated list). How to set
                          > > that depends on your Windows version. IIRC, in XP it is at "Control
                          > > Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables" or something similar.
                          >
                          > Oh , Yes. ( My english is too poor, but not begenner of PC )
                          >
                          > I see :fileencodings on gvim , and my _vimrc set
                          >
                          > > if has('iconv')
                          > > set
                          > fileencodings=ascii,iso-2022-jp,utf-8,euc-jp,utf-16,cp932,java,ucs-2-internal,euc-jis0213,utf-16,ISO-8859-1
                          > > endif
                          >
                          > if not path success, `:fileencodings?` will return another value, is'not it?
                          >

                          > best regards,
                          > Nakagawa, a.k.a yaemon

                          Yes, a Vim build compiled with +iconv/dyn will act as -iconv
                          (has("iconv") == 0) if it cannot establish contact with _any_ iconv.dll
                          so the other ":if" branch will be followed, and ":set fileencodings?"
                          (not ":fileencodings" which returns an error) will display a different
                          value.

                          That 'fileencodings' setting makes me wonder:
                          - Shouldn't it start with "ucs-bom" to detect those Unicode files which
                          have a BOM?
                          - Can "ascii" give a fail signal (doesn't Vim treat it as an alias for
                          "latin1")? -- If it can, then it's OK there, but otherwise not.
                          - What is "ucs-2-internal"? Won't it be detected as "utf-16" (which is a
                          superset of UCS-2) by the "utf-16" entry three steps earlier?
                          - Why is "utf-16" mentioned twice? (The second entry does no harm, but
                          will never be used.)
                          - Won't you ever receive UCS-2/UTF-16 files in little-endian ordering
                          (which is standard on Intel ix86 and therefore on Windows)?

                          If everybody minded their own business, the world would go
                          around a deal faster.
                          -- The Duchess, "Through the Looking Glass"

                        • T.P.S.Nakagawa
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 3, 2008
                            Sorry every typo and send my dirty setting by historical reason.

                            > That 'fileencodings' setting makes me wonder:
                            > - Shouldn't it start with "ucs-bom" to detect those Unicode files which
                            > have a BOM?
                            > - Can "ascii" give a fail signal (doesn't Vim treat it as an alias for
                            > "latin1")? -- If it can, then it's OK there, but otherwise not.
                            > - What is "ucs-2-internal"? Won't it be detected as "utf-16" (which is a
                            > superset of UCS-2) by the "utf-16" entry three steps earlier?
                            > - Why is "utf-16" mentioned twice? (The second entry does no harm, but
                            > will never be used.)
                            > - Won't you ever receive UCS-2/UTF-16 files in little-endian ordering
                            > (which is standard on Intel ix86 and therefore on Windows)?

                            Thank you. I correct this sort.

                            > set
                            fileencodings=ascii,iso-2022-jp,utf-8,euc-jp,java,utf-16,ucs-bomb,cp932,utf-16LE,euc-jis0213,ISO-8859-1

                            First is "ascii" , that's my intention.
                            ( Is it really alias of latin1? latin1 have another code of ascii ).

                            If not exist this first, all ascii code ( ex. programming source ) detected
                            iso-2022-jp and Can't add multibyte comment by UTF-8.

                            I have a trick in this.

                            ----- last of vimrc -------
                            if has( 'autocmd' )
                            source $HOME/.vim/mine/filetype.vim " about filetype
                            source $HOME/.vim/mine/encode.vim " about encoding to save
                            endif

                            ------ cat encode.vim -----
                            " $Id: encode.vim,v 1.6 2007/11/08 05:03:18 yaemon Exp $
                            " set fileencode to save
                            "

                            :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.jis set fileencoding=iso-2022-jp
                            :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.sjis set fileencoding=shift-jis
                            :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.euc-jp set fileencoding=euc-jp
                            :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.mozex set fileencoding=utf-8
                            :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead *.elm set fileencoding=utf-8
                            :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead cddbread.* set fileencoding=utf-8

                            :autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead * call s:DefaultSaveCode()

                            function s:DefaultSaveCode()
                            if ( ( &fileencoding == "" ) || ( &fileencoding == "ascii" ) )
                            let &fileencoding = "utf-8"
                            endif
                            endfunction
                            ----------------------------------

                            Isn't is elegant for add UTF-8 to ascii file?

                            Best, Best, regard
                            yaemon

                            --
                            NAKAGAWA Tsuneo (a.k.a. yaemon ) mailto:yaemon@...

                            Message 13 of 25 , May 4, 2008
                              Good morning ( it's 8:25 in Japan )

                              > I think, in this time, return to need install new version of iconv.dll for
                              > Windows.
                              >
                              > My Win box is too poor.
                              > If I try, need cross compile on Free BSD box. But I didn't try cross compile, too.

                              Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
                              by cross compile on unix box, mingw32.

                              If you try this, please get here
                              http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/mingw/libiconv-1.12-mingw.zip

                              ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(

                              Best regard

                              Message 14 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                                Hello

                                > Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
                                <>
                                > ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(

                                I see!

                                On Windows XP, file encoding detect success or not, gvim can't display
                                UTF8 + BOM, if &fileencodings setted.

                                lush-up way is that.

                                :set binary
                                2x
                                :set fenc=
                                :w
                                :set nobinary
                                :e!

                                cursed notepad!
                                but isn't it bug of gvim?

                                regard

                                Message 15 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                                  On 05/05/08 09:17, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
                                  > Hello

                                  > > Today, I success compile iconv-1.12 for Windows.
                                  > <>
                                  > > ...but, I can't correctry open file edited and saved UTF-8 by notepad :(
                                  >
                                  > I see!
                                  >
                                  > On Windows XP, file encoding detect success or not, gvim can't display
                                  > UTF8 + BOM, if&fileencodings setted.
                                  >

                                  > lush-up way is that.
                                  >
                                  > :set binary
                                  > 2x
                                  > :set fenc=
                                  > :w
                                  > :set nobinary
                                  > :e!
                                  >

                                  > cursed notepad!
                                  > but isn't it bug of gvim?
                                  >

                                  > regard

                                  If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
                                  three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32
                                  BOM is four bytes. If there was a two-byte BOM on a UTF-8 file, it's a
                                  bug in the program which produced that file.

                                  When a Windows program (such as WordPad) saves a file as "Unicode text",
                                  it's usually UTF-16le with BOM, which means that the first two bytes are
                                  FF FE and that after that, even bytes are often null bytes.

                                  Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.

                                • T.P.S.Nakagawa
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                                    Sorry, Tony.

                                    But I pleasure of report next thing of this problem.

                                    > If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
                                    > three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32

                                    Oh yes. I delete 2 bytes , that displayed in unix UTF-8 console.
                                    But by shown "od -xc" command, notepad attach 3 bytes of BOM. sorry.

                                    Then, I report more deep for this problem.
                                    Vim read UTF-8 + BOM , if fileencodings setted, allways display by UTF-8.
                                    so Windows Japanese version ( must display cp932 )
                                    so unix console setted ja_JP.eucJP.

                                    That's all of reason , bad display.

                                    I read 1 hour sources, around *p_fencs setting, but I sleeped.
                                    It's hard of read part of big source.

                                    Best regard, by yaemon.

                                    P.S. now, download page of libiconv is
                                    http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/misc/libiconv

                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 5, 2008
                                      On 06/05/08 04:58, T.P.S.Nakagawa wrote:
                                      > Sorry, Tony.
                                      >
                                      > But I pleasure of report next thing of this problem.

                                      > > If what you said above is exact, it's a Notepad bug: a UTF-8 BOM is
                                      > > three bytes, a UTF-16 BOM (also used for UCS-2) is two bytes, a UTF-32
                                      >
                                      > Oh yes. I delete 2 bytes , that displayed in unix UTF-8 console.
                                      > But by shown "od -xc" command, notepad attach 3 bytes of BOM. sorry.
                                      >

                                      > Then, I report more deep for this problem.
                                      > Vim read UTF-8 + BOM , if fileencodings setted, allways display by UTF-8.
                                      > so Windows Japanese version ( must display cp932 )
                                      > so unix console setted ja_JP.eucJP.

                                      If your 'fileencodings' starts with "ucs-bom", Vim ought to detect
                                      correctly any Unicode encoding when there is a BOM without interfering
                                      with the detection of other encodings, unless they may start with one or
                                      more of the following codes and contain not a single invalid byte (or
                                      invalid sequence of bytes) for the corresponding Unicode encoding (I
                                      know that many combinations of bytes higher than 0x7F are invalid in
                                      UTF-8; I'm less sure about the other):

                                      EF BB BF UTF-8
                                      FE FF UTF-16be
                                      FF FE UTF-16le
                                      00 00 FE FF UTF-32be
                                      FF FE 00 00 UTF-32le

                                      Notice that Vim (and any other program with BOM detection) may "guess
                                      wrong" if a file in UTF-16le with BOM starts with a NULL; but I suppose
                                      that such a case is so rare it may be safely ignored.

                                      Notes:
                                      - Even if editing cp932 files, you may set 'encoding' to utf-8
                                      - In GUI mode, anything that 'encoding' can represent, can be displayed
                                      if your 'guifont' has a glyph for it. Characters for which your
                                      'guifont' has no glyph may be represented by a "placeholder" question
                                      mark or hollow box etc.; but if you use the GTK2 GUI (X11 only, thus not
                                      on Windows) it may, in some cases, be clever enough to find an
                                      appropriate glyph in a different font.
                                      - Even if your terminal display is set to accept cp932 output, you may
                                      still set 'encoding' to utf-8 in Console mode if 'termencoding' is set
                                      to cp932, but of course in that case if you edit Unicode (or other
                                      non-cp932) files containing characters which cannot be represented in
                                      cp932, you will get a "placeholder" display (possibly a question mark or
                                      a hollow box) at that position even though the actual contents of the
                                      file are correct.
                                      - The above applies also, of course, with "cp932" replaced everywhere by
                                      "euc-jp".

                                      > That's all of reason , bad display.
                                      >
                                      > I read 1 hour sources, around *p_fencs setting, but I sleeped.
                                      > It's hard of read part of big source.

                                      Yes, especially when you're lacking sleep. ;-)

                                      > Best regard, by yaemon.
                                      >

                                      > P.S. now, download page of libiconv is
                                      > http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/misc/libiconv
                                      > --
                                      > NAKAGAWA Tsuneo (a.k.a. yaemon ) mailto:yaemon@...
                                      > Web site ( Japanese ony ) http://www.kikansha.jp/~yaemon/

                                      "The Good Ship Enterprise" (to the tune of "The Good Ship Lollipop")

                                      On the good ship Enterprise
                                      Every week there's a new surprise
                                      Where the Romulans lurk
                                      And the Klingons often go berserk.

                                      Yes, the good ship Enterprise
                                      There's excitement anywhere it flies
                                      Where Tribbles play
                                      And Nurse Chapel never gets her way.

                                      See Captain Kirk standing on the bridge,
                                      Mr. Spock is at his side.
                                      The weekly menace, ooh-ooh
                                      It gets fried, scattered far and wide.

                                      It's the good ship Enterprise
                                      Heading out where danger lies
                                      And you live in dread
                                      If you're wearing a shirt that's red.
                                      -- Doris Robin and Karen Trimble of The L.A. Filkharmonics

                                    • T.P.S.Nakagawa
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 7, 2008
                                        Thanks all.

                                        > If your 'fileencodings' starts with "ucs-bom", Vim ought to detect
                                        > correctly any Unicode encoding when there is a BOM without interfering
                                        > with the detection of other encodings, unless they may start with one or
                                        > more of the following codes and contain not a single invalid byte (or
                                        > invalid sequence of bytes) for the corresponding Unicode encoding (I
                                        > know that many combinations of bytes higher than 0x7F are invalid in
                                        > UTF-8; I'm less sure about the other):

                                        Oh!? Did I forget write?
                                        After libiconv version up to 1.11 , Vim detect all time correct charset.
                                        ( If I confidence "set fileencoding?" )

                                        And, if I wrote in _vimrc "set fileencodings=" ( set null string ),
                                        or started by ucs-bomb,
                                        or overwrite by "set fileencodings=ucs-bomb" ( that's default of Win32),
                                        at all case gvim try diaplay by UTF-8.

                                        Is it only Windows Japanese version's ?
                                        By latin-1 charset, if you wrote (c) _copyright by one character_ or accent + e
                                        by notepad and save by UTF-8, gvim display as you want?

                                        Best regard, by yaemon