Re: how can I ogonki-fy on Wind*ws?

  • Camillo Särs
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2008
      Joseph Schiller wrote:
      > Inside the typical MS enabled apps we can use ALT+CODE
      > using 4 digit combo when entered from the number
      > keypad, such as MS Word. I've searched in the Vim
      > documentation and tried google, but could not find any
      > answers.

      :help i_CTRL-V_digit

      //Ged
      --
      Camillo Särs <ged@...> Aim for the impossible and you
      http://www.ged.fi will achieve the improbable

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2008
        Joseph Schiller wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I love Vim's language support, but I am puzzled how
        > can I ogonkify on Wind*ws platform as well as I can on
        > Linux? For example, to enter extended latin-1
        > characters in edit mode I use [CTRL+SHIFT+CODE]
        > combinations as follows:
        >
        > [CTRL+SHIFT+<...>]:Ą<104>;ą<105>;Ć<106>;ć<107>;Ę<118>;ę<119>;
        > Ł<141>;ł<142>;Ń<143>;ń<144>;Ó<D3>;ó<F3>;Ś<15A>;ś<15B>;Ż<17B>;
        > ż<17C>;Ź<179>;ź<17A>
        >
        > The<number> in angle brackets corresponds to 2 or 3
        > key combinations, and there are others for other
        > languages.
        >
        > This shortcut works on gVim 7.0.35 built on SuSE 10.0
        > with GTK+ 1.8.4 with +multi_byte and does not work on
        > gVim 6.3 built on Damn Small Linux 3.5 normal version
        > with GTK GUI with -multi_byte running on WinXP inside
        > an emulator. It does not work in gVim 7.1 on
        > MS-Wind*ws 32 bit with OLE support with
        > +multi_byte_ime/dyn. Apparently the key is +multi_byte
        > option.
        >
        > Inside the typical MS enabled apps we can use ALT+CODE
        > using 4 digit combo when entered from the number
        > keypad, such as MS Word. I've searched in the Vim
        > documentation and tried google, but could not find any
        > answers.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Joe

        Note: the present reply is in UTF-8

        On Windows, +multi_byte is usually part of +multi_byte_ime/dyn. You can
        check it by

        :echo has("multi_byte")

        (similarly for any other feature): the answer will be nonzero if and
        only if the feature is present.

        In Vim (and especially in gvim, which isn't bound by what your text
        console can show), you can enter a character by its decimal or hex
        value, but there is even better: digraphs. You use them by hitting
        Ctrl-K in Insert mode, followed by two keys which define the "special
        character" you want to enter. Since the ogonek corresponds (in Vim
        digraphs) to a semicolon, you use
        ^KA; for Ą
        ^Ka; for ą
        ^KE; for Ę
        ^Ke; for ę
        etc.
        Similarly, the acute accent is represented by an apostrophe, so you type
        ^KC' for Ć
        ^Kc' for ć
        ^KO' for Ó
        ^Ko' for ó
        etc.
        and, for other diacritics:
        ^KL/ for Ł
        ^Kl/ for ł
        etc.

        These are so practical that whenever I want to use in an email (or in a
        type-in field on a web page) a character which isn't on my keyboard (or
        maybe it is, but I don't know where) I enter it in gvim and transfer it
        over the clipboard. I used this method for the Polish letters above, in
        particular. (On this Linux system, my Belgian keyboard can make many
        "special" letters by means of at least five "dead keys", but if it can
        make ogonki and barred L's I don't know how.)

        See
        :help i_CTRL-V_digit
        :help digraph.txt
        :help digraphs-default
        :digraphs

        Welcome thy neighbor into thy fallout shelter. He'll come in handy if
        you run out of food.
        -- Dean McLaughlin.