Re: Problem with searching multi-byte word in gvim

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2007
      Kiwon Um wrote:
      > Hi there.
      > I've got a problem during VIMming.
      >
      > I'm using VIM 7.1.175 (svn version) compiled with following options:
      > ./configure --enable-xim --enable-gui --enable-multibyte -enable-
      > multilang
      > And I'm using nabi-0.99.0 XIM for hangul(Korean) input.
      >
      > Input is fine all.
      > No problem is with that.
      > But when I search (/) some hangul words, the gvim is stopped to work.
      > If I use vim with xterm, that's fine again.
      > Only gui-version vim (gvim) has the problem, searching multibyte word.
      >
      > Any idea?

      I don't quite understand what the problem is: please corret me if I'm wrong.

      You're hitting / followed by some hangul text, then <Enter>. This works fine
      in Console Vim in xterm, but it hangs gvim. Is that it?

      I suspect some interaction between Vim and XIM, but I'm not sure what. How do
      you enter Korean text in xterm? Maybe Vim is completely bypassed in that case
      (the interaction being between XIM and the terminal, not XIM and gvim)? What
      are your XIM settings? (both in XIM, and IM-related settings in gvim)?

      % cat /usr/include/sys/errno.h
      #define EPERM 1 /* Operation not permitted */
      #define ENOENT 2 /* No such file or directory */
      #define ESRCH 3 /* No such process */
      #define EINTR 4 /* Interrupted system call */
      [...]
      #define EMACS 666 /* Editor Too Large */
      %

    • Kiwon Um
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2007
        On 12월30일, 오전12시31분, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > Kiwon Um wrote:
        > > Hi there.
        > > I've got a problem during VIMming.
        >
        > > I'm using VIM 7.1.175 (svn version) compiled with following options:
        > > ./configure --enable-xim --enable-gui --enable-multibyte -enable-
        > > multilang
        > > And I'm using nabi-0.99.0 XIM for hangul(Korean) input.
        >
        > > Input is fine all.
        > > No problem is with that.
        > > But when I search (/) some hangul words, the gvim is stopped to work.
        > > If I use vim with xterm, that's fine again.
        > > Only gui-version vim (gvim) has the problem, searching multibyte word.
        >
        > > Any idea?
        >
        > I don't quite understand what the problem is: please corret me if I'm wrong.
        >
        > You're hitting / followed by some hangul text, then <Enter>. This works fine
        > in Console Vim in xterm, but it hangs gvim. Is that it?

        That's right. After hitting <Enter>, process is hanging. (It needs to
        force quit.)

        > I suspect some interaction between Vim and XIM, but I'm not sure what. How do
        > you enter Korean text in xterm? Maybe Vim is completely bypassed in that case
        > (the interaction being between XIM and the terminal, not XIM and gvim)? What
        > are your XIM settings? (both in XIM, and IM-related settings in gvim)?

        I use same XIM for both xterm and gvim, nabi-0.99.0.
        My /etc/X11/xinit/inputrc setting is as follows:

        XIM=NABI
        XMODIFIERS="@im=nabi"
        XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/local/bin/nabi
        GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
        QT_IM_MODULE=xim

        As I mentioned before, even in gvim, hangul input is fine.
        Only searching has the problem.

        > Best regards,
        > Tony.
        > --
        > % cat /usr/include/sys/errno.h
        > #define EPERM 1 /* Operation not permitted */
        > #define ENOENT 2 /* No such file or directory */
        > #define ESRCH 3 /* No such process */
        > #define EINTR 4 /* Interrupted system call */
        > [...]
        > #define EMACS 666 /* Editor Too Large */
        > %

        Thanks for your reply.
        If you need to know something about my other XIM-related setting to
        solve this problem, just let me know. :)
        Thanks again.
      • Jjgod Jiang
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2007
          On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Kiwon Um wrote:
          > That's right. After hitting <Enter>, process is hanging. (It needs to
          > force quit.)

          I think it will be helpful to know where it stopped at. Could you please
          run vim inside gdb and see if you can get a backtrace when it happens?

          - Jiang

        • Kiwon Um
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2007
            Hi all.

            I've solved this problem.
            It seemed to be problematic with my XIM module, nabi.

            Today I've changed to scim-1.4.7 with scim-hangul-0.3.2.
            And All is fine.

            Thanks for all you guys' interests and advises. :)

            Best regards,
            Kiwon Um