Re: VIM and Leopard

  • Kenneth Reid Beesley
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
      On 30 Oct 2007, at 18:10, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      >> Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of
      >> Windows Vista ?
      >> Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the
      >> correct name
      >> btw ;-)
      >>
      >> David Morel
      >
      > It was not a rant, but a genuine request for information. So what _is_
      > Leopard? You didn't say, and I'm curious.

      "Leopard" is the code name of the new Apple OS X version 10.5, which
      came out
      Friday 26 November.

      So we Mac people are busily testing what does and does not work in
      Leopard.

      Ken

    • José Pinheiro Neta
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007

        Hi,
        anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

        Compilation!

        You just have to type on your shell:

        $ vim --version

        And the result is:

        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Oct  5 2007 20:00:43)
        Included patches: 234
        Compiled by _mdnsresponder@...
        Normal version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
        -arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
        -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
        +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
        -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
        +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
         -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
        +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
        -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
        -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -profile
        -python +quickfix +reltime -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent
        -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
        -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
        +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
        +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
        -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
           system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
             user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
              user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
          fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
        Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -arch i386 -arch ppc -g -Os -pipe -mdynamic-no-pic -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe
        Linking:
        gcc   -arch i386 -arch ppc             -o vim       -lncurses  -liconv

        Anything wrong. BTW you can now work with tabs (APPLE + T) on your terminal.

        Be good and go for it. Install Leopard. It's the best (cover flow, quick view ect . . . )

        José

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
          > Compilation!

          If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
          ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
          I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

          Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

          Nico

        • Joseph Retzer
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
            Thanks Nico. Just to note, I'm using the current snapshot of MacVim on Leopard and have had no issues running from toolbar/applications. Also no problems running from terminal.
            Joe

            Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

            > Compilation!

            If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
            ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
            I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

            Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

            Nico

          • David Morel
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
              Le 31 oct. 07 à 22:35, Nico Weber a écrit :

              >> Compilation!
              >
              > If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
              > ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
              > I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

              Both macvim and vim-cocoa work with Leopard, still I met issues
              especially regarding key mappings etc.
              For me, the best version is still the Carbon one, and this one is
              especially handy:
              http://slashpunt.org/vim/index.php?n=Main.Download

              > Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

              Same. How do you move a whole thread from one ml to another ?
              Only kidding...

              David Morel

            • theno23
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                On Oct 30, 9:27 pm, Krzysztof Maj <mkrz...@...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                > anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
                > okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

                I'm having problems,

                I use the vi:set in comments thing, eg:

                /* vi:set expandtab sts=4 sw=4: */

                and that seems to have stopped working.

                I've got a pretty extensively hacked ~/.vimrc file, so that may be at
                fault. I've looked around on the web a fair bit, but I've not yet seen
                a solution, or even an option that might have turned it off.

                - Steve

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                  theno23 wrote:
                  > On Oct 30, 9:27 pm, Krzysztof Maj <mkrz...@...> wrote:
                  >> Hi,
                  >> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
                  >> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
                  >
                  > I'm having problems,
                  >
                  > I use the vi:set in comments thing, eg:
                  >
                  > /* vi:set expandtab sts=4 sw=4: */
                  >
                  > and that seems to have stopped working.
                  >
                  > I've got a pretty extensively hacked ~/.vimrc file, so that may be at
                  > fault. I've looked around on the web a fair bit, but I've not yet seen
                  > a solution, or even an option that might have turned it off.
                  >
                  > - Steve

                  Here's how to check it: Make the file with that line active, then type

                  :verbose set modeline? modelines? expandtab? sts? sw?

                  Vim should tell you the current values and where they were set.

                  See
                  :help modeline
                  :help 'modeline'
                  :help 'modelines'

                  "Jesus saves...but Gretzky gets the rebound!"
                  -- Daniel Hinojosa