Re: VIM and Leopard

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
      Hi,

      > I'm still unsure why the lists got merged :/

      there's still a pretty active vim_mac list. Do you mean the people
      who were on vim-mac before the switch to googlegroups were added to
      vim-multibyte? I was in both of these lists and still am.

      Nico

    • Kenneth Reid Beesley
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
        On 30 Oct 2007, at 18:10, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        >> Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of
        >> Windows Vista ?
        >> Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the
        >> correct name
        >> btw ;-)
        >>
        >> David Morel
        >
        > It was not a rant, but a genuine request for information. So what _is_
        > Leopard? You didn't say, and I'm curious.

        "Leopard" is the code name of the new Apple OS X version 10.5, which
        came out
        Friday 26 November.

        So we Mac people are busily testing what does and does not work in
        Leopard.

        Ken

      • José Pinheiro Neta
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007

          Hi,
          anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

          Compilation!

          You just have to type on your shell:

          $ vim --version

          And the result is:

          VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Oct  5 2007 20:00:43)
          Included patches: 234
          Compiled by _mdnsresponder@...
          Normal version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
          -arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
          -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
          +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
          -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
          +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
           -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
          +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
          -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
          -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -profile
          -python +quickfix +reltime -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent
          -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
          -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
          +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
          +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
          -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
             system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
               user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
            fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
          Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -arch i386 -arch ppc -g -Os -pipe -mdynamic-no-pic -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe
          Linking:
          gcc   -arch i386 -arch ppc             -o vim       -lncurses  -liconv

          Anything wrong. BTW you can now work with tabs (APPLE + T) on your terminal.

          Be good and go for it. Install Leopard. It's the best (cover flow, quick view ect . . . )

          José

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
            > Compilation!

            If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
            ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
            I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

            Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

            Nico

          • Joseph Retzer
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
              Thanks Nico. Just to note, I'm using the current snapshot of MacVim on Leopard and have had no issues running from toolbar/applications. Also no problems running from terminal.
              Joe

              Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

              > Compilation!

              If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
              ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
              I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

              Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

              Nico

            • David Morel
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                Le 31 oct. 07 à 22:35, Nico Weber a écrit :

                >> Compilation!
                >
                > If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
                > ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
                > I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

                Both macvim and vim-cocoa work with Leopard, still I met issues
                especially regarding key mappings etc.
                For me, the best version is still the Carbon one, and this one is
                especially handy:
                http://slashpunt.org/vim/index.php?n=Main.Download

                > Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

                Same. How do you move a whole thread from one ml to another ?
                Only kidding...

                David Morel

              • theno23
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                  On Oct 30, 9:27 pm, Krzysztof Maj <mkrz...@...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  > anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
                  > okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

                  I'm having problems,

                  I use the vi:set in comments thing, eg:

                  /* vi:set expandtab sts=4 sw=4: */

                  and that seems to have stopped working.

                  I've got a pretty extensively hacked ~/.vimrc file, so that may be at
                  fault. I've looked around on the web a fair bit, but I've not yet seen
                  a solution, or even an option that might have turned it off.

                  - Steve

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                    theno23 wrote:
                    > On Oct 30, 9:27 pm, Krzysztof Maj <mkrz...@...> wrote:
                    >> Hi,
                    >> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
                    >> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
                    >
                    > I'm having problems,
                    >
                    > I use the vi:set in comments thing, eg:
                    >
                    > /* vi:set expandtab sts=4 sw=4: */
                    >
                    > and that seems to have stopped working.
                    >
                    > I've got a pretty extensively hacked ~/.vimrc file, so that may be at
                    > fault. I've looked around on the web a fair bit, but I've not yet seen
                    > a solution, or even an option that might have turned it off.
                    >
                    > - Steve

                    Here's how to check it: Make the file with that line active, then type

                    :verbose set modeline? modelines? expandtab? sts? sw?

                    Vim should tell you the current values and where they were set.

                    See
                    :help modeline
                    :help 'modeline'
                    :help 'modelines'

                    "Jesus saves...but Gretzky gets the rebound!"
                    -- Daniel Hinojosa